Iorfa for England?

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

I wouldnt have been so sure.  Where is Lewis Dunk's call up. Much better than Tom Lees has ever been.

Perhaps he has been called up then I stand corrected.

Still took along time of him being a premier league player is more my point.

Dunk was called up last season I believe, pulled out due to injury. 

8 hours ago, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

No..

but you said he was welsh but he’s clearly not...he may have got a Welsh heritage through his cat or budgie or something like that but he could just as easily represent the English National side at senior level as he could the Welsh. 

As you were 

3 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Maguire was a bit part player for Hull, he wasnt a regular until Bruce left and was thrown in the deep end in the Prem (and did well)

Don't try and rewrite history.

He couldn't get into the side. They had better players than us. The beat us with ease

I said when he  first arrived as a rb I'd seen an interview saying he was a cb by trade and that's where he wanted to play. I know a few on here scoffed at the idea having seen him play for wolves and out on loan. 

Then when I actaullly saw him playing cb for us the first thing that struck me was how much he reminded me of a young sol Campbell, power, pace and the athleticism to recover after he'd made a mistake. Cb's normally tend to really mature in the role older than other positions, so as a cb he's actaullly still quite young. 

Hopefully fingers crossed if he keeps improving and upping his game who knows what the future holds for the lad. 

Contrary to the above, I think a player is labelled a CB quite early on in development when it's deemed they are physical, have a bit of presence, can tackle etc but not much else.

A full back needs more, so it's quite strange to change to a centre half from a fullback unless you are getting on a bit and can't bomb up and down the line like you could previously - think Viv Anderson for instance.

I'm not sure we've seen the last change of position for Iorfa to be honest, and that versatility will be good for him.

On 27/10/2019 at 10:59, Tamworthowl said:

A few weeks ago someone posted that Iorfa would be in the England set up soon. I'm not sure if the statement was in jest, a wind up, or genuine, but I rubbished it.

I take it back. He's still some way off, but I can see him being considered in 12-18 months if he continues his recent improvement.

I'm not his greatest fan: he has too many mistakes in him for my liking, but he is immense. Not just for his bread and butter headed clearances, but pace and recovery, his tackling, his blocks, and his covering for fullbacks. And a few goals. He's becoming our best centre back for years. I stress "becoming", but his stupid mistakes are getting less frequent and with Monk's guidance on the training pitch, and Borner/Hutch on a match day, he is becoming one of, if not the, best in the league. Remember the much admired Michael Hector? Not a patch on Iorfa.

If he stay injury free and continues to develop he could well be in the premier league next season. Hopefully with us. And when in the Prem, is he worse than Tomori or Mings? Based on what we saw of those two last season, he's better. Given half a season in the top league, he should be ahead of Keane and challenging Stones. Whilst I don't think Iorfa is developing into the next Sol Cambell, the paucity of truly talented English centre backs makes me think that Iorfa is heading toward the quality that now merits an England call up.

His only big downside ( and where most of his mistakes come from) is his ability on the ball when we try to play from the back. Unfortunately that might limit his opportunities at a higher level, but I can see the likes of Everton, Burnley, Bournemouth taking a chance on him.

2A63F225-22A7-468F-88EF-F415DC943CB0.jpeg.a73556edf6803daa5f6a2b95e6f8e1ce.jpeg