Iorfa for England?

Thread title is over the top but the point behind it is fair. 

He was an absolute bargain and still only 24.

No offense to Tom Lee's but his pace and physicality makes him a better player and he will only get better. 

Who knows where he will end up.

Edited by Beholder

1 hour ago, Salmonbones said:

I have witnessed players for us playing top flight football having played for us in the third tier, and they did well.    Irish instantly comes to mind.   Other players we signed from lower league who did well, didn't we get Pearson from Shrewsbury or somewhere like that?    Bougherra we didn't sign from lower but went on to better things.  

It's not beyond the realm of possibility for Iorfa to do this too.

Irish who?

and where would you consider Bougherra to have gone on to better things.....Charlton or the pub league north of the border?

2 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Well that's partly my point.

Iorfa has been good, but England standard?

No way can I see Iorfa ever being half as good Terry or Ferdinand or Southgate or Campbell or Pallister etc. But ask yourself these questions:

If he carries on playing and improving as he has done, will he be good enough for a Prem team to come in for him next summer?

Are Tyrone Mings and Michael Keane that much better than Iorfa? Would a few months at EPL level be enough for Iorfa to bridge the gap between him and Mings/Keane and bring him up to current England standard?

The state of England's central defenders is so poor, I don't think it's fanciful to think that in 18 months, with continued dominant performances, Iorfa could be being mention for a possible call up. 

Fair points well made

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I really think some people have lost sight of just how big the gulf in class between the where we are and the PL

The gulf between the top 2 to the rest is massive.

However, the gap between say the worse 6 Prem clubs and top half champ isn't all that big.

7 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

A few weeks ago someone posted that Iorfa would be in the England set up soon. I'm not sure if the statement was in jest, a wind up, or genuine, but I rubbished it.

I take it back. He's still some way off, but I can see him being considered in 12-18 months if he continues his recent improvement.

I'm not his greatest fan: he has too many mistakes in him for my liking, but he is immense. Not just for his bread and butter headed clearances, but pace and recovery, his tackling, his blocks, and his covering for fullbacks. And a few goals. He's becoming our best centre back for years. I stress "becoming", but his stupid mistakes are getting less frequent and with Monk's guidance on the training pitch, and Borner/Hutch on a match day, he is becoming one of, if not the, best in the league. Remember the much admired Michael Hector? Not a patch on Iorfa.

If he stay injury free and continues to develop he could well be in the premier league next season. Hopefully with us. And when in the Prem, is he worse than Tomori or Mings? Based on what we saw of those two last season, he's better. Given half a season in the top league, he should be ahead of Keane and challenging Stones. Whilst I don't think Iorfa is developing into the next Sol Cambell, the paucity of truly talented English centre backs makes me think that Iorfa is heading toward the quality that now merits an England call up.

His only big downside ( and where most of his mistakes come from) is his ability on the ball when we try to play from the back. Unfortunately that might limit his opportunities at a higher level, but I can see the likes of Everton, Burnley, Bournemouth taking a chance on him.

Can’t wait for the euros when Iorfa and Beevers are starting centre backs. Gonna be class

• Haha 1

England? Who knows?

what I do know is that he is looking very assured and confident but he has what cannot be coached, his pace 

he is the fastest centre back I have ever seen playing for Wednesday in over 50 years 

he makes Des Walker look pedestrian ( and Des played for England )

9 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

A few weeks ago someone posted that Iorfa would be in the England set up soon. I'm not sure if the statement was in jest, a wind up, or genuine, but I rubbished it.

I take it back. He's still some way off, but I can see him being considered in 12-18 months if he continues his recent improvement.

I'm not his greatest fan: he has too many mistakes in him for my liking, but he is immense. Not just for his bread and butter headed clearances, but pace and recovery, his tackling, his blocks, and his covering for fullbacks. And a few goals. He's becoming our best centre back for years. I stress "becoming", but his stupid mistakes are getting less frequent and with Monk's guidance on the training pitch, and Borner/Hutch on a match day, he is becoming one of, if not the, best in the league. Remember the much admired Michael Hector? Not a patch on Iorfa.

If he stay injury free and continues to develop he could well be in the premier league next season. Hopefully with us. And when in the Prem, is he worse than Tomori or Mings? Based on what we saw of those two last season, he's better. Given half a season in the top league, he should be ahead of Keane and challenging Stones. Whilst I don't think Iorfa is developing into the next Sol Cambell, the paucity of truly talented English centre backs makes me think that Iorfa is heading toward the quality that now merits an England call up.

His only big downside ( and where most of his mistakes come from) is his ability on the ball when we try to play from the back. Unfortunately that might limit his opportunities at a higher level, but I can see the likes of Everton, Burnley, Bournemouth taking a chance on him.

I said id rather have him than micheal keane at cb after keane gifted the czechs a goal which got a few lafs!, keane has hopefully been dropped for england now after some poor showings.

30m and hes not as quick, strong, tall or even aware as dom imo.

Good cbs are really rare these days, bar laporte even man citys are average, they had otomendi on bench and a cm at cb on sat!

He would need premier lg games to have a chance but dont think mings is any better, stones drops too many clangers and is maybe a party boy, tomori drops clangers but does have raw talent, maguire solid but needs pace next to him....

At 24 i'd have money on an england cap if 5-1 or more, why cant he play for england if hes in the prem lg one day?

Edited by Ash77

He seems to have quickly established himself at centre back this season. I suppose the aim for him is to try and keep his place here ahead of Lees, Thorniley etc. If he does this then there's a good chance he'll catch the eye of premier league clubs particularly if our defensive record continues to be good. Personally I think there's more chance of him playing for Nigeria than England TBH?