'We were awful last night' - Give yer head a wobble!

54 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I've given my head a wobble and I still think we were awful.

I'm not complaining about the result but we can't keep on playing like that and getting results. In the second half, scarily, for the 2nd time in a week, we lost all shape and purpose. We were up against 10 men at the end and STILL couldn't find a blue-and-white shirt to pass to. We're 1-0 up, all we have to do is pass the bloody thing. It should have been so easy. I'm sure Monk hasn't told them to stop passing for 40 minutes. He must be worried too that we fall apart so easily. Keeping a clean sheet wasn't just down to great defending - we rode our luck too.

Great, we've made it to 3rd but I need to see something in the way we play to convince me we have the ability to stay there.

I like Monk and I get it that for now he's happy to just get enough points to keep us in contention until he gets us playing as he wants. We might have to wait a while. It could come good in the end. But don't pretend that wasn't awful. 

as people keep saying...weve played nobody yet ?

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Kicking it away with 25 minutes to go isn't going to work in the long run.. but Monk is doing well with what he's got..

maybe but that's not riding your luck is it …...I never felt that they put us under any pressure and the defence coped comfortably with what little they threw at us ...to limit them to 1 on target and 3 corners says to me we defended very well .

Just now, torryowl said:

maybe but that's not riding your luck is it …...I never felt that they put us under any pressure and the defence coped comfortably with what little they threw at us ...to limit them to 1 on target and 3 corners says to me we defended very well .

The tactic he's using depends on us scoring first..it won't work against good teams that know what to do with possession..we do defend well but hanging on (a useful tactic) will cost us imo when we play better teams.. he's made us very solid but you should rarely concede possession and invite attacks unless it's the last few minutes..

But it's me..and I'm often wrong..

I can’t quite get my head around the view that 3 points excuses a poor performance.  It’s ok as a ‘one off’, but there are worrying signs that we can’t retain the ball when pressured and struggle to hit teams quickly on the counter attack.  Fletcher continues to look so isolated and as a result we are flogging him to death.  I’ve no idea what we do if he gets injured.

The stubborn defensive displays of late have been pleasing, but I doubt this will be enough against better teams (starting on Saturday).  Let’s be honest here, the only half decent sides we’ve played so far are Preston, QPR and Fulham - one point from nine.

No matter how good your defence is, there is always a chance element in football (one that is invariably vastly underestimated compared with the pretence that everything can be anticipated, planned and calculated). A slight deflection to divert the ball by a few inches in a busy penalty area is sometimes all it takes. When you're sitting deep and failing to retain possession you are inexorably shifting the balance of territory, possession, momentum and chances to the opposition. And that is what we saw on Tuesday against an opponent who were having the better of the game despite ending it a man down. Let's not forget, we were only a tremendous save away from a result that would have been extremely demoralising and damaging to our ambitions.

The statistics for our midfielders in their time at the club are collectively rather modest...

Kieran Lee              169+27 appearances (27 goals)

Adam Reach           149+7 (21)

Barry Bannan          170+6 (10)

Sam Huitchinson     130+10 (6)

Joey Pelupessy       48+10 (1)

Kadeem Harris        13+2 (2)

Massimo Luongo     5+5 (2)

Jacob Murphy          5+5 (1)

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The statistics for our midfielders in their time at the club are collectively rather modest...

Wrong thread. :blush:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Interesting and a little depressing but thanks. 

Lee - injured when at his absolute best, would no doubt have continued to build on his record.

Reach - Not bad but capable of much more, in fairness there was a prolonged period when he was playing a different position every game or at least it seemed so.

Bannan - I'm sure he'd be the first to admit that record should be better.

Hutch & Pelupessy - Goals will always be a bonus in the role they play. Pelupessy was a fairly consistent scorer in the Dutch league, the step up in quality has eliminated that from his game as he's struggled by and large.

Harris - Looked out of sorts against Stoke but he will surely score a decent amount, gets in good positions.

Luongo - I expect him to be above Bannan by the end of the season..... :biggrin:

Murphy - Will probably never score again..... lol 

EDIT: Thanks @DJMortimer Also wrong thread.... I never learn, working backwards in threads!!

Edited by Morepork
  • Haha 1

On 23/10/2019 at 22:06, Peacenocchio said:

We shouldn't let this stupid narrative become normalised.

A tight 1 0 win in the championship against a team who've won their last two games and made one single chance in the game is not playing 'awful'. 

We were excellent in defence, the midfield held their shape and we scored one of our two chances.Call it dull or unexciting fair enough.

Just to remind some that we spent f all this summer and lost our manager just before the season started. Now a 1 0 home win against Stoke City to take us 3rd in the league is an 'awful' Wednesday performance.

Believe me we can do a lot worse.

Absolutely agree, we could always hope for a cushion and winning by more than a goal, but sometimes you'll just have to grind out a result clinging on to a 1-goal lead.

While I believe we shouldn't lean back or rest on our laurels, it's also important that we recognise a win for a win and those 3 pts took us to 3rd, and after last night's matches, we're still 3rd with a solid 5 goal advantage on Bristol City. So, while it's good that we're looking to improve and play better, they've done well to get back to where we are.

And while we've had fluke results like away to Hull etc. I firmly believe that no team in this league will go on without similar losses.

Up The Owls!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mycroft said:

God help us if we get worst.  

You might not have noticed, but we are 3rd top not 3rd bottom.  Mind you that will be upsetting to more than a few on hare.  Not that I'm accusing you of being one of them. 

Guest LittleG
19 hours ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I've given my head a wobble and I still think we were awful.

I'm not complaining about the result but we can't keep on playing like that and getting results. In the second half, scarily, for the 2nd time in a week, we lost all shape and purpose. We were up against 10 men at the end and STILL couldn't find a blue-and-white shirt to pass to. We're 1-0 up, all we have to do is pass the bloody thing. It should have been so easy. I'm sure Monk hasn't told them to stop passing for 40 minutes. He must be worried too that we fall apart so easily. Keeping a clean sheet wasn't just down to great defending - we rode our luck too.

Great, we've made it to 3rd but I need to see something in the way we play to convince me we have the ability to stay there.

I like Monk and I get it that for now he's happy to just get enough points to keep us in contention until he gets us playing as he wants. We might have to wait a while. It could come good in the end. But don't pretend that wasn't awful. 

I've wobbled everything just in case and that was an awful second half performance, which has been forgotten by most cos we got the three points. Our inability to retain possession, find space and pass the ball inexcusable and against better sides we will come unstuck. We may have limited Stoke to one chance but how many did we create considering we were the home side. I praise the playersfor working hard but we need more than just that. 

Love it that people think we’re awful to watch now. I feel they must be forgetting the time under Gray when it was like watching paint dry with zero goals and rare victories, yet I suppose as that team cost so little to assemble it was more entertaining viewing.. 

I'm looking forward to the Leeds game...a dreadful 1-0 win will do me fine. No injuries or red cards and I'm happy.

Sit on the kop and can't believe how quiet we are for 80 mins of each game...we need some Ultras and a cheer leader.

This is what I saw at Partisan Belgrade a couple of seasons back 

Guest LittleG
47 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Love it that people think we’re awful to watch now. I feel they must be forgetting the time under Gray when it was like watching paint dry with zero goals and rare victories, yet I suppose as that team cost so little to assemble it was more entertaining viewing.. 

People are not saying that, just expressing an opinion on the performance (2nd half) against Stoke.

4 hours ago, Sham67 said:

You might not have noticed, but we are 3rd top not 3rd bottom.  Mind you that will be upsetting to more than a few on hare.  Not that I'm accusing you of being one of them. 

Fully take your point but apart from Boro and and Barnsley we haven't really looked convincing and the lack of quality forwards worries me when we play the better teams.

Delighted that we are third and long may it continue if we are there at the end of the season and still looking unconvincing I for one will be delighted.