'We were awful last night' - Give yer head a wobble!

1 hour ago, Owls-Fan said:

I feel some posters don’t watch enough championship football of other teams if they feel we are that terrible. 
Cardiff got promoted with the lowest possession stats in the league. 
We’re just missing a creative spark, send PL winger Murphy back to Newcastle in January and replace him for someone better and we’ll be in good shape. Monk can’t fix everything before a transfer window 

This is very true.

Inevitably, the few teams who play a more attacking, high tempo style will get highlighted more by the media - Leeds, West Brom etc.

We aren't that sort of team and we don't really have the personnel to play in such a manner.

What we are though is an experienced group of players who a few years back were very good at grinding out results. It isn't always pretty, but it is one way of getting yourself competing. We do also have some very good technical players, who can produce real quality. 

Edited by SiJ

3 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

We shouldn't let this stupid narrative become normalised.

A tight 1 0 win in the championship against a team who've won their last two games and made one single chance in the game is not playing 'awful'. 

We were excellent in defence, the midfield held their shape and we scored one of our two chances.Call it dull or unexciting fair enough.

Just to remind some that we spent f all this summer and lost our manager just before the season started. Now a 1 0 home win against Stoke City to take us 3rd in the league is an 'awful' Wednesday performance.

Believe me we can do a lot worse.

Yes, we could have got the Brothers from Lincoln, on tonights game they play fast attacking football. NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Good winning teams are adjustable in how they play.

Against Huddersfield we were compact and hard to break down and won 

Against Boro we were fast flowing and enjoyable to watch and won

Against Stoke they came for a scrap due to lack of footballing ability and a relegation battle, we matched them in a scrap and won. 

The one thing Monk has done it make us adjustable to the game being played. 

Against Leeds I think it will be like a game of chess, big game, big atmosphere but my Leeds supporting workmate thinks we will win comfortably so happy to take another 6-0! 

8 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Accept the reality.

The premiership is weak.

As a natural result it follows the subsequent leagues are weak. 

The last World Cup showed how weak world football is at current time. 

Therefore we can only be grateful the league we compete in isn’t scary, and we can only beat what’s in front of us. 

The standard of football can't ever be higher the skill and the speed of the players is on a different level to what I was brought up on.  Just watched the goals from last nights Liverpool game and  Chamberlains second goal was out of this world.   

The standard Man City have set  could never have been dreamt of even just a few years ago.  

It was awful, dress it up however you want. If we took the blue tinted specs off and watched as a neutral we would be saying how dire it was.

You talk about game plan etc, this league is pretty woeful and it’ll be a lucky dip out of ten teams on who goes up 

12 hours ago, SiJ said:

Yep.

Awful game.

We are much better team than these two.

I reckon we are set up to do well away from home at the moment. Really well organised, but perhaps struggling to impose ourselves on teams when the onus is on us to attack.

Give it time. 

Pacey forward required to back up Fletcher.

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

It was awful, dress it up however you want. If we took the blue tinted specs off and watched as a neutral we would be saying how dire it was.

You talk about game plan etc, this league is pretty woeful and it’ll be a lucky dip out of ten teams on who goes up 

My initial reaction was the game was rhubarb but on reflection do we have to take into account the niggly nature of the contest, hardly any moves were allowed to develop without someone leaving a foot in or deliberate blocking etc. The move that nearly brought a goal in the first half and ended with Harris’ shot being deflected over was brilliant. 

On here there are concerns that we haven’t beaten a top ten team but Stoke had just done Swansea away and Fulham - they fully expected to beat us so why didn’t they? A squad with Joe Allen in midfield with a sub of the quality of Scott Hogan? Ultimately that was a good win against opponents who will probably end up going on a good run st some point. 

18 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

My initial reaction was the game was rhubarb but on reflection do we have to take into account the niggly nature of the contest, hardly any moves were allowed to develop without someone leaving a foot in or deliberate blocking etc. The move that nearly brought a goal in the first half and ended with Harris’ shot being deflected over was brilliant. 

On here there are concerns that we haven’t beaten a top ten team but Stoke had just done Swansea away and Fulham - they fully expected to beat us so why didn’t they? A squad with Joe Allen in midfield with a sub of the quality of Scott Hogan? Ultimately that was a good win against opponents who will probably end up going on a good run st some point. 

You've forgot to mention they also had Ince and McClean on the bench.  They will finish top 8 this season.  

The Stoke game like Cardiff was a second goal short of the complete away performance.  The problem was we were at home.  Having said that, I'm more than happy with the shape we are in.  I can only see us improving under Monk.

12 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

I feel some posters don’t watch enough championship football of other teams if they feel we are that terrible. 
Cardiff got promoted with the lowest possession stats in the league. 
We’re just missing a creative spark, send PL winger Murphy back to Newcastle in January and replace him for someone better and we’ll be in good shape. Monk can’t fix everything before a transfer window 

FF

6 hours ago, Sham67 said:

You've forgot to mention they also had Ince and McClean on the bench.  They will finish top 8 this season.  

The Stoke game like Cardiff was a second goal short of the complete away performance.  The problem was we were at home.  Having said that, I'm more than happy with the shape we are in.  I can only see us improving under Monk.

Was Vokes on the bench as well.

Think he cost a cool 10 million 

11 hours ago, Mycroft said:

The standard of football can't ever be higher the skill and the speed of the players is on a different level to what I was brought up on.  Just watched the goals from last nights Liverpool game and  Chamberlains second goal was out of this world.   

The standard Man City have set  could never have been dreamt of even just a few years ago.  

This is if you believe the spin the TV companies give you. If you think World football is strong after witnessing the last World Cup, then I think you need to take a good look at yourself. 

Harry Maguire playing for Man Utd and worth 40 million, don’t make me laugh. 

Pogba a world class player, mmmm. 

The list goes on, Chelsea have hundreds of players, yet can’t find 11 good ones. 

I've given my head a wobble and I still think we were awful.

I'm not complaining about the result but we can't keep on playing like that and getting results. In the second half, scarily, for the 2nd time in a week, we lost all shape and purpose. We were up against 10 men at the end and STILL couldn't find a blue-and-white shirt to pass to. We're 1-0 up, all we have to do is pass the bloody thing. It should have been so easy. I'm sure Monk hasn't told them to stop passing for 40 minutes. He must be worried too that we fall apart so easily. Keeping a clean sheet wasn't just down to great defending - we rode our luck too.

Great, we've made it to 3rd but I need to see something in the way we play to convince me we have the ability to stay there.

I like Monk and I get it that for now he's happy to just get enough points to keep us in contention until he gets us playing as he wants. We might have to wait a while. It could come good in the end. But don't pretend that wasn't awful. 

9 hours ago, Sham67 said:

God help us if we get worst.  

We lost shape a fair bit in the 2nd half need to up the tempo and discipline when playing the like of Leeds. 

21 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I've given my head a wobble and I still think we were awful.

I'm not complaining about the result but we can't keep on playing like that and getting results. In the second half, scarily, for the 2nd time in a week, we lost all shape and purpose. We were up against 10 men at the end and STILL couldn't find a blue-and-white shirt to pass to. We're 1-0 up, all we have to do is pass the bloody thing. It should have been so easy. I'm sure Monk hasn't told them to stop passing for 40 minutes. He must be worried too that we fall apart so easily. Keeping a clean sheet wasn't just down to great defending - we rode our luck too.

Great, we've made it to 3rd but I need to see something in the way we play to convince me we have the ability to stay there.

I like Monk and I get it that for now he's happy to just get enough points to keep us in contention until he gets us playing as he wants. We might have to wait a while. It could come good in the end. But don't pretend that wasn't awful. 

where did we ride our luck in keeping a clean sheet ?......