How bitter are Stoke fans!

On 24/10/2019 at 16:57, LondonOwl313 said:

Lol I just remember it being frustrating for the most part. 95-99 we were a lower middle table side then went straight down in 2000 as soon as we lost our flair players. Always had hope that we’d somehow challenge near the top again but it never looked likely. Even when we finished 7th in 97, that was by virtue of 12 points from the first 4 games... rest of the season we had mid table form.

It’s much the same now for teams. Unless you’re one of the top 6 plus Everton.. it tends to run on a cycle. Get promoted.. enjoy the novelty factor and perform well, maybe threaten an 8th place finish. That can go on for a few seasons. Then club/manager/players realise you’ve gone as far as you can.. better players get poached by the top clubs. Results suffer.. everyone gets bored of it as it’s not as good as the prior 2-3 seasons. Then relegation and start again.

Pretty much every side below the top 6 is going through that cycle. Pigs are riding their high but odds are good they’ll be back down in 2-3 years.. probably after a decent year this season where they get a lower mid table finish

I think Leicester are a great example of how to build for the PL. Their scouting and choosing of players is incredible and has been for a few years. With a shrewd appointment like Rodgers they’ve got a great chance of making themselves a consistent top 4 side. I would go as far to say that with 4/5 Leicester players & Rodgers then Man Utd would be in a far healthier position. Recruiting young talented lower league players seems to be the way to go. And keeping hold of them obviously.

4 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

I think Leicester are a great example of how to build for the PL. Their scouting and choosing of players is incredible and has been for a few years. With a shrewd appointment like Rodgers they’ve got a great chance of making themselves a consistent top 4 side. I would go as far to say that with 4/5 Leicester players & Rodgers then Man Utd would be in a far healthier position. Recruiting young talented lower league players seems to be the way to go. And keeping hold of them obviously.

It's hard to argue with the way Leicester have built their squad in recent seasons, but it's not that long ago that they were placed in administration and left the East Midlands Ambulance Service, among others, to pick up the bill to the tune of tens of thousands of pounds.

They've also been involved in some other seriously questionable practices on their rise to the top, as well...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/11/leicester-city-finances-football-league-financial-fair-play-investigation

We've also witnessed firsthand their moral compass in the way they wormed their way out of paying a fee for George Hirst, of course.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's hard to argue with the way Leicester have built their squad in recent seasons, but it's not that long ago that they were placed in administration and left the East Midlands Ambulance Service, among others, to pick up the bill to the tune of tens of thousands of pounds.

They've also been involved in some other seriously questionable practices on their rise to the top, as well...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/11/leicester-city-finances-football-league-financial-fair-play-investigation

We've also witnessed firsthand their moral compass in the way they wormed their way out of paying a fee for George Hirst, of course.

Let’s be honest, football today has absolutely zero morals unless it can be marketed and sold to the highest bidder.

It’s struck me for a while now how naive we’ve been over the years, from pretty much when we were relegated from the PL. Others in our position continued to spend and used administration to cleanse themselves of debt only to continue spending once on the other side. We at least tried to do it the right way and endured years of meagre funding. Your Leicester’s, Leeds et al played the system and won. Even now, debt free, we have to find a pot to wee wee in.

Borner got a smack in the head v Cardiff & we shrugged it off.

Pelupessy got an elbow in the face v Leeds & he actually got up and shook the hand of the bloke that did it.

Any other team would have given the ref a big decision to make but we are too nice as a team and too naive as a club.

imho.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Let’s be honest, football today has absolutely zero morals unless it can be marketed and sold to the highest bidder.

It’s struck me for a while now how naive we’ve been over the years, from pretty much when we were relegated from the PL. Others in our position continued to spend and used administration to cleanse themselves of debt only to continue spending once on the other side. We at least tried to do it the right way and endured years of meagre funding. Your Leicester’s, Leeds et al played the system and won. Even now, debt free, we have to find a pot to wee wee in.

Pelupessy got an elbow in the face v Leeds & he actually got up and shook the hand of the bloke that did it.

Any other team would have given the ref a big decision to make but we are too nice as a team and too naive as a club.

imho.

It's hard to argue with that.

It just sticks in the craw when the media narrative is often about the Leicester 'fairytale', when in reality they screwed over a lot of people in their local community when they went into administration. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

imho.

Spot on mate..

At the risk of sounding like Arsenal fan Tv....

Why always us?

The roads closures, the spectre of Hillsborough '89 hanging over us more or less forever, even though we had sod all to do with it...Fire certificates, no bottle tops..No flags....

I mean f.ookin' flags...

You watch someone cart a bleedin' Tuba up the Kop steps then some no mark takes yer bottle top off you!.

Wigan tip up with 20 fans and its like WACO on Penistone rd....

Still we go...The prices...The abject tat for nearly a quarter of a century!! ................a QUARTER....of a CENTURY!!!!

Fans dragged through the courts for taking the P*ss..Venomous this and imbeciles that..

I dunno another set of fans that would have put up with it.

Nearly............A QUARTER of a CENTURY!!!!

Then Sturrock getting us up...So we sacked him....Then down we go again...

You know what I used to rail at a lot was? ..O'Grady, not going down when he was getting hacked at in the box!...He sorta epitomised our bloody acceptance of getting shafted.

Nick parker crying outside the bloody court when we faced the winding up order...Cryin' FFs....

Bloody hundreds on here following the trial as we came up after some sodding amalgamated plastics factory..

Then Xbana..Then 40'000 v bloody Wycombe...no disrespect..Then Jones suddenly turns into coco the f.ookin' clown...etc etc et f.ookin' cetera.

On and on and on it goes....and folk spout...You only got 23'000 against Wigan the other week....!

Nearly............A QUARTER of a CENTURY!!!!!!

Happy Anniversary...a collapsing cake.....and now SYP and SAG....

During the sodding Allen years ..We had allowed Blue balloons in, but Black Balloons were not allowed in for "safety reasons"

I wrote to the club....

"Dear whoeverthefook..

I have hit my 5 yr old son over the head 20 times wiv a Blue balloon, and 20 times wiv a Black balloon..There is no noticeable difference!...He's still thick!"

The Star..do f.ook all

Radio Sheffield... do F.ook all

We have 15'000 empty seats ..and some of them we aren't allowed to sell..because 20..f.ookin' madly insane, cutting, killing and raping!!...Wigan fans are coming...

On and on this carousel of crap goes..  faster and faster this roundabout of ridiculous regulatory rubbish..spins...

Rant over...apologies

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Would those people now think it’s worth it though?

According to a David Conn article, Leicester owed money to local printers, pie-makers and builders. Whether those small businesses would think it was worth it so that the footballers could continue to be paid, I don't know.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/david-conn-leicesters-tax-deal-indicates-easier-way-out-for-crisis-clubs-119882.html

3 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Spot on mate..

Why always us?

The roads closures, the spectre of Hillsborough '89 hanging over us more or less forever, even though we had sod all to do with it...Fire certificates, no bottle tops..No flags....

I mean f.ookin' flags...

You watch someone cart a bleedin' Tuba up the Kop steps then some no mark takes yer bottle top off you!.

Still we go...The prices...The abject tat for nearly a quarter of a century!! ................a QUARTER....of a CENTURY!!!!

Fans dragged through the courts for taking the P*ss..Venomous this and imbeciles that..

You know what I used to rail at a lot was? ..O'Grady, not going down when he was getting hacked at in the box!...He sorta epitomised our bloody acceptance of getting shafted.

Nick parker crying outside the bloody court when we faced the winding up order...Cryin' FFs....

Bloody hundreds on here following the trial as we came up after some sodding amalgamated plastics factory..

Then Xbana..Then 40'000 v bloody Wycombe...no disrespect..Then Jones suddenly turns into coco the f.ookin' clown...etc etc et f.ookin' cetera.

On and on and on it goes....and folk spout...You only got 23'000 against Wigan the other week....!

During the sodding Allen years ..We had allowed Blue balloons in, but Black Balloons were not allowed in for "safety reasons"

I wrote to the club....

"Dear whoeverthefook..

I have hit my 5 yr old son over the head 20 times wiv a Blue balloon, and 20 times wiv a Black balloon..There is no noticeable difference!...He's still thick!"

The Star..do f.ook all

We have 15'000 empty seats ..and some of them we aren't allowed to sell..because 20..f.ookin' madly insane, cutting, killing and raping!!...Wigan fans are coming...

On and on this carousel of crap goes..  faster and faster this roundabout of ridiculous regulatory rubbish..spins...

Rant over...apologies

That brought a smile to my face until I realised it's all absolutely true. Could have added some truly unbelievable refereeing decisions (I know every other clubs fans think this) over the years and, of course the 2007 floods. Then we bend over backwards to accomodate a manager who promptly runs away at the first opportunity leaving us in the proverbial. And being investigated for selling the ground which other clubs have done.

As you say we've had 25 years of this, then some people complain that we "only" get 23500 against Wigan.

11 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Spot on mate..

Why always us?

I mean f.ookin' flags...

I wrote to the club....

"Dear whoeverthefook..

The Star..do f.ook all

Rant over...apologies

Are things alright home? Not saying I disagree but Jesus calm down pal. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 31Dec1966 said:

That brought a smile to my face until I realised it's all absolutely true. Could have added some truly unbelievable refereeing decisions (I know every other clubs fans think this) over the years and, of course the 2007 floods. Then we bend over backwards to accomodate a manager who promptly runs away at the first opportunity leaving us in the proverbial. And being investigated for selling the ground which other clubs have done.

As you say we've had 25 years of this, then some people complain that we "only" get 23500 against Wigan.

I suppose EVERY fan of EVERY could go down the ref decisions route mate..but yeah..I missed out the flood, ...The Bruce..The ground..all very good points...

Which other "large" club" have been tested by ALL these inhibitive situations..and still had over 20'000 tipping up to watch tat, at prices that are higher than most of the league?

How many for......

Theres not many....

3 minutes ago, Stokey said:

Are things alright home? Not saying I disagree but Jesus calm down pal. 

lol

Fine mate.... thx for asking

But I read through the threads....and I'll fully admit I post some nonsense meself....But..

When it comes to the blind loyalty of Football fans...I think we are up there....

and during the worst times the club has gone through...The ONE thing i've always been proud of..is the support.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Spot on mate..

Why always us?

I mean f.ookin' flags...

I wrote to the club....

"Dear whoeverthefook..

The Star..do f.ook all

Rant over...apologies

My favourite part was the balloon bit.

Fantastic!!