How bitter are Stoke fans!

Guest LondonOwl313
16 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Its being in the Premiership. Fans get deluded.

As we were, although TBH I can hardly remember what being in the Prem felt like.

Lol I just remember it being frustrating for the most part. 95-99 we were a lower middle table side then went straight down in 2000 as soon as we lost our flair players. Always had hope that we’d somehow challenge near the top again but it never looked likely. Even when we finished 7th in 97, that was by virtue of 12 points from the first 4 games... rest of the season we had mid table form.

It’s much the same now for teams. Unless you’re one of the top 6 plus Everton.. it tends to run on a cycle. Get promoted.. enjoy the novelty factor and perform well, maybe threaten an 8th place finish. That can go on for a few seasons. Then club/manager/players realise you’ve gone as far as you can.. better players get poached by the top clubs. Results suffer.. everyone gets bored of it as it’s not as good as the prior 2-3 seasons. Then relegation and start again.

Pretty much every side below the top 6 is going through that cycle. Pigs are riding their high but odds are good they’ll be back down in 2-3 years.. probably after a decent year this season where they get a lower mid table finish

Edited by LondonOwl313

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Lol I just remember it being frustrating for the most part. 95-99 we were a lower middle table side then went straight down in 2000 as soon as we lost our flair players. Always had hope that we’d somehow challenge near the top again but it never looked likely. Even when we finished 7th in 97, that was by virtue of 12 points from the first 4 games... rest of the season we had mid table form.

It’s much the same now for teams. Unless you’re one of the top 6 plus Everton.. it tends to run on a cycle. Get promoted.. enjoy the novelty factor and perform well, maybe threaten an 8th place finish. That can go on for a few seasons. Then club/manager/players realise you’ve gone as far as you can.. better players get poached by the top clubs. Results suffer.. everyone gets bored of it as it’s not as good as the prior 2-3 seasons. Then relegation and start again.

Pretty much every side below the top 6 is going through that cycle. Pigs are riding their high but odds are good they’ll be back down in 2-3 years.. probably after a decent year this season where they get a lower mid table finish

Pigs had a healthy squad going up as well which imo we dont, we have all said for years we need to build that up , if we went up this year we would go straight back down.

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

Pigs had a healthy squad going up as well which imo we dont, we have all said for years we need to build that up , if we went up this year we would go straight back down.

I don’t think we can build a prem squad in the championship. Think we’d have to bring in 10-15 players if we went up and just gamble on it working. That’s what Villa have done this year and looks ok so far.. Fulham did it last year and it didn’t work at all

I still look at Utd’s squad on paper and wonder how most of those players are in the premier league. Wilder is working miracles. With the exception of a few of them (e.g. Norwood, Jagielka), they’d all done nothing before going there and haven’t played at big clubs before. Some of their signings like McBurnie and Mousset look like Championship players on paper. Interested to see how long he is able to keep things going because it’s been a good start. He seems to get mardy though if they lose a game, so once a bad run sets in which is almost inevitable over a full season, need to see it they can bounce back from it

You could see it at the beginning of the match...Won a couple and they had renewed optimism and hope..brought quite a few and we being quite lairy.

Then after a horrific match from both sides they were left with no points after throwing them away after their defender hacked at thin air.

It's eating away at them cos deep down they're terrified of going down to league 1 with that squad...Stuff like that can really get to you...Fire sale next year I expect.

They need to get their house in order before they criticize a team who is miles above them in the league.

We weren't great by no stretch but they were just toothless.

Be nice to beat them at their place after they beat us in the cup a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I don’t think we can build a prem squad in the championship. Think we’d have to bring in 10-15 players if we went up and just gamble on it working. That’s what Villa have done this year and looks ok so far.. Fulham did it last year and it didn’t work at all

I still look at Utd’s squad on paper and wonder how most of those players are in the premier league. Wilder is working miracles. With the exception of a few of them (e.g. Norwood, Jagielka), they’d all done nothing before going there and haven’t played at big clubs before. Some of their signings like McBurnie and Mousset look like Championship players on paper. Interested to see how long he is able to keep things going because it’s been a good start. He seems to get mardy though if they lose a game, so once a bad run sets in which is almost inevitable over a full season, need to see it they can bounce back from it

He is a miracle worker. He still uses leon Clarke! We discarded him as surplus to requirements when in league one!

6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Not only is Wilder an exceptional manager, but he joined the Blades in the Third.

It's less demanding at that level, and he and the team then grew together as they rose through the leagues.

It's indisputably his team,, although he's had little financially to work with.

Our situation could scarcely be different, and you're right that we would have to replace many of our players were we to be promoted.

7 hours ago, Nut said:

I wonder how many times you have to lose to lesser teams before you realise the other teams are actually superior and you are now the lesser team? 

Sometimes it takes years to sink in some partculary sad clubs never get over it and are confined to a slow lingering decline. The doctors call it Gibson syndrome.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, the monk said:

Took me about 5 years after relegation from the prem for my brain to finally  accept it !

One of the main reasons I didn't want Villa to go up , I didnt think they had served their sentence yet ,unlike us ,Utd ,Leeds,Wolves, Forest , Sunderland etc

I have a mild case,  just have difficulty recognising Bournemouth  being richer and a league higher than us.

On 23/10/2019 at 22:41, Ash76 said:

Just had a read of the thread. There's a Wednesday fan kissing 4rse on there, does my head in that kind of thing. 

This is his first post

Own up, who is it?

It's me

Been on there a while

It's a decent site

A bit over critical of their own side tho

Not like us lol

On 23/10/2019 at 23:42, sexpistol said:

We have won 7 league games this season. All against the bottom 7 as it currently stands.

You can only beat what is in front of you though.

Yes that is true. We have lost and drawn to all the higher placed teams though. We drew today, but today was different class imo. Gives me hope for the season.

On 25/10/2019 at 10:41, roaminowl said:

No way is that not Asteener.

On 25/10/2019 at 13:13, asteener1867 said:

It's me

Been on there a while

It's a decent site

A bit over critical of their own side tho

Not like us lol

Mind blown

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.