I felt like some people couldn’t wait for Reach to make a mistake tonight

10 hours ago, shandypants said:

I don’t think we should happy clap every fvvcker but it feels like Reach is becoming a bit of a scapegoat again. 

Some of our fan base always need a scape goat

In recent weeks we've had Fox, Pelupessy, Dawson, and Reach

It's always been the same, even when we had a top team in the early 90's, some people had a go at Sheridan

I put it down to people being miserable in their lives

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

11 hours ago, SupremeOwl said:

He's been a tad off form recently but yeah that's no excuse to scapegoat him, just needs to get himself back in gear and get some confidence back. Could do with another 30 yard screamer the :biggrin:

I agree. Admittedly, I've been critical simply because I know he can do much more. My main frustration with him is he never looks convincing in the tackle. He looks like he's afraid to get hurt and opposition players sniff that out very quickly.

If he sorts out that side of his game he'll be a good all rounder. 

But one other thing. Does anyone think he is carrying an injury of some sort? He seems to have lost some of his pace. His legs pump but don't seem to propel him forwards as qui

ckly as they used to.

Do agree that he has dropped below his (high) standards of past couple of years - remember he was immense in central midfield that season under Joss. 

However he is a proper footballer - in terms of his engine, the ground he covers and I do wonder if he is showing more discipline due to Harris being on the other side. The number of assists he has must be up there with anyone else at the club and he has an exceptional touch a high cross field ball, he can (usually) just pick out of the sky with an assuredness of a very good player. Even though he appears to mince tackles a bit, I am leaning towards that being a style, trying to nick it away to continue. Oh and he is Rarely (never?) injured.

Put it this way, if he becomes a free agent at the end of the year, he will not have a problem finding a club.    

3 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

These idiots that slam Reach are clueless, he's so important to us, not just with his goals/assists but his off the ball play is excellent

I really hope Reach doesn't read the morons giving him stick on social media, I think he's brilliant

Totally agree, I'd like to see the stats for the distance covered this season because he never stops running.

58 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

miserable  and also knowing fizz all about the game. 

Come on then genius, rather than negging everyone. Care to expand on why Reach is so good in your opinion?

Doubt youve ever played football beyond football manager! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I agree. Admittedly, I've been critical simply because I know he can do much more. My main frustration with him is he never looks convincing in the tackle. He looks like he's afraid to get hurt and opposition players sniff that out very quickly.

But one other thing. Does anyone think he is carrying an injury of some sort? He seems to have lost some of his pace. His legs pump but don't seem to propel him forwards as qui

ckly as they used to.

Watch the short Sky highlights. The second attack shown, where Reach races into their box and gets a shot saved. Those defenders seem to find his legs pumping pretty well. 

BTW, yet again, his importance to our side shown by the highlights. There are four attacks featured.:-

1st attack - Reach sets up great chance

2nd attack - Reach cuts inside at pace and the keeper pushes his shot for a corner

3rd attack - goal

4th attack - clever Reach header sets up Lee to cross for Harris shot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

His main attribute is workrate and miles covered. But as a wide player he could be offering more to our attacking game than he does. We clearly need to add some creativity into the side and when you look around at who to drop, it wouldn’t be Fletcher, Harris, Bannan, Hutchinson. So that leaves Reach or Luongo. If we could find a similar player to Knockaert in January (on loan) I’d have him in our setup instead of Reach right now.  

Good post mate, I think Monk was the one who found Hernandez for Swansea/Leeds? Leicester & Brighton signed Knockaert when they were in the championship & there’s similar attribute players out there we could get in January that aren’t so well known in England yet, waiting to make a name for themselves. 
I’m hoping FF will become the player of old but if it doesn’t happen before January then we definitely need to strengthen the creative play 

Edited by Southie_Owl

13 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

A big home goal would certainly help. That's why his decision not to shoot near the end was a good one. He could easily have had a dig from around the halfway line when the keeper was backtracking but he was never in an ideal position to hit it and would have more than likely just gifted the ball back to Stoke, as it was he wisely ran the clock down. Not spectacular by any means but as said above much better in terms of doing what was needed to get the result.

Reach had our best shot of the first half and made several penetrating runs into the box, defended, hussled players on the ball, made and won a couple of good tackles and headers yet yes a couple of people who sit near us were yet again moaning about him. It doesn't matter how many tackles he wins, how many headers or how many goals he scores, these idiots just don't like him, for some bizarre reason. Maybe their girlfriends/wives/boyfriends/husbands fancy him and they are just jealous, who knows, but their dislike for certain players is as illogical and incorrect football wise, so it has to be something else. Adam Reach had his own goal of the season competition for us last season, he wins more tackles than several of our defenders sets goals up and runs players down right through the game, playing on the opposite wing and in midfield, yet still some idiots still moan about him. These are the same kinds of people who moan about Fox, who yet again got the highest marks for achievement last night (whoscored.com), joint highest actually, alongside Luongo who got his total by scoring from one of three excellent balls forward that Fox played, which Fletcher then headed on to Massimo. 

Reach had a bad knee injury last season which he played with for too long in my opinion and he has been wearing protective strapping on his knee this season too, while still playing out of position and still playing above average in the majority of games. The big problem that we do have is that Reach will not get better by playing every match of the season with a knee injury, but unfortunately Monk does not yet think that there is anybody better to play in that right wing position. 

For Reach's own good as well as our long term good, I would try playing Odubajo on the right wing, because he has always been successful when playing there and I believe that the three bad knee injuries he has picked up have left some mental scars which may explain his unwillingness to tackle with his feet and preference for rugby tackles, pulling and pushing (which Iorfa, also has a worrying habit of doing). Reach can always come on for Harris or Odubajo if need be and if he replaces Harris, he actually gets played in the role that we originally bought him for! 

Actually our stupid panic mode button seems to get hit with 10 to 15 minutes to go too often recently and everybody starts to give away stupid free kicks, which piles on the pressure and gets everybody worried (including me and a good section of the crowd). I can't believe we nearly did a Cardiff again last night by bunching together and giving the ball away every two minutes against Stoke who only had 10 men! Can't they spread out and find space so that passes are easier and play keep ball the way we do for the rest of the game? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaydubz said:

Come on then genius, rather than negging everyone. Care to expand on why Reach is so good in your opinion?

Doubt youve ever played football beyond football manager! 

I'll give you my thoughts

Reach is nowhere near as bad as people are making out, I agree he's not found his best form yet, but he's one of those players you don't drop

Reach relieves pressure, he has the ability to stretch defences, he has the ability to take the ball up the park which puts teams on the back foot

When he gets the ball, a lot of teams two up on him, which leaves space elsewhere

He's also arguably our hardest working player, he must cover more ground than anyone else

The thing I like best about Reach is his first touch, he usually kills a ball better than anyone else

Every manager we've had since we signed him, picks him, whether you've played the game or are just someone that plays computer games, you must see that

For what it's worth Jose Mourinhio wasn't a player, and he didn't do bad.

• Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

3 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

ckly as they used to.

And there you have it in a nutshell. The excuse for having a go at Reach is that, "in their opinion", he does not look convincing in the tackle! Well sorry to break it to all those who truly believe that this is a good reason to have a go at Reach, but next time you want to have a go at players for not making good tackles have a go at Luongo, Borner, Fletcher, Winall, Tom Lees, Forestieri, Murphy & Harris, all of whom are less effective at tackling than Reach, who is carrying a knee injury which requires strapping when he is not playing. What excuse do the others have? You see, Reach is a winger, yet he eclipses the other wingers in his tackling ability and this is in tackles won, not tackles attempted. So as a winger he is our top tackler, but combine that with the work he does in midfield and he successfully tackles the same number of players as Kieren Lee per match and in front of defenders Tom Lees and Julian Borner. In two of the toughest battles we have had before last night, against Hull Reach's tackling was only topped by our two fullbacks who each made one tackle more and in the tough home game against Wigan, Reach was the top tackler alongside Pelupessy, who had his best game of the season for us. When you combine all this with the fact that he has the most assists, (alongside Bannan now), his goal, his midfield, wing and defensive duties, his constant running, his link up play etc, I hate to think how we would do without him. Despite all this I still reckon the Odubajo swap could give him the bit of a rest he obviously needs, because as good as he is, he can still play a lot better when fully and fit and hopefully on the left side too.  

Now OK he does not go in for many ridiculous challenges that he cannot win, or from behind like Hutchinson and Pelupessy, for example, but maybe that is more down to having some good football intelligence, rather than any footballing deficiency. I am pretty sure that he got his player of season awards when he was playing predominantly as a fullback/wingback so with tackling being one of the pre-requisites for such a job, luckily enough people who do not hold an illogical grudge against him, actually voted for him and he won the award on merit.

Nope he's not a strong tackler...Is that what we want?

Theres f.ookin' plenty of 'em knocking about, hardly any of them creative or carrying a goal threat

Do we want a team full of them, before we give anyone  credit?

Bannan gets slagged off...Hutchinson for being "Too" strong in the tackle, Iorfa for being a little "awkward" in the tackle...Palmer can tackle but can't cross...

Simply 

A typical football team.

We have what we have...and Reach, while not being undroppable ..contributes...Bannan while not getting 9/10 every game is vital..Palmer has come on leaps and bounds in a couple of seasons...and Fox is no longer on the run.

We sit 3rd in the division, yet some are unsatisfied cos it seems we are "not doing it properly"

We haven't done owt.... "properly"..... for 2 sodding decades.

I don't care how we go up..I used to.... but then I remember the attitude of the media when we hit the the first division under Wilkinson..They hated us...It changed my opinion of football...I cared not how Wednesday won...and I revelled in some aesthetic pundit decrying we had beaten Liverpool Man U arsenal etc..simply by outrunning them..It was scruffy..but it was succesful...

I remember driving back over the Pennines from Maine Rd..and the City manager saying ..after we had beat them ..

"It was like being hit by a lorryload of bricks"

I thought...

"That'll do me"

Its what we might have to do this year..It might not be pretty...but each, including Reach can play a part...Its a means to an end

Edited by asteener1867

Really can’t understand some people’s logic of wanting to get on the players back. Some people can’t wait to do it. 

Reach has been one of our most consistent players in the last 3 seasons. 

If Dawson miss kicks a ball, it’s the end of the world even though Westwood does the same pretty much every game. 

Just wait until Fox has another below average game, the boo boys will be straight on his back again. 

15 hours ago, shandypants said:

I don’t think we should happy clap every fvvcker but it feels like Reach is becoming a bit of a scapegoat again. 

he needs to put in some really good performances to get the fans back on his side. 

shirking tackles, and drifting around won't do it, he needs to look at his own performance.

if he corrects the two above, he should be fine.

3 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

he needs to put in some really good performances to get the fans back on his side. 

shirking tackles, and drifting around won't do it, he needs to look at his own performance.

if he corrects the two above, he should be fine.

He was fine last night.............

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

Yep I'd  replace him for someone as good as knockaert as well .....if we can get someone like abrahams on loan I'd have fletch out also

there's a massive difference between fletcher's performances and reach's, IF reach was performing at fletcher's level, he'd be hailed a hero.

• Like 1

I think he's a waste of a shirt but that's just my opinion. He works hard, runs around a lot but produces nothing. He's no threat at all. As soon as he gets the ball you know nothing will happen.

But to be fair to him he's getting picked because there's no better available options. 

Neg away lads