What about Iorfa's tackle?

8 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

Sorry tonight I can't agree - he was not calm in possession, was rushed easily and made poor passes forward under pressure.   

A lot of tonight was the fact we did not keep possession and Iorfa was a contributing factor to that.

The man needs to have less rushes of blood to the head and be more calm, read the game a little better and stop having to over react because he saw a ball late.

However, I am being over critical, we did win, and his mistakes did not cost us tonight.

I missed all that.  All I saw was strong tackling, read the game well intercepting passes etc, calm under pressure, and whacking it away when needed. 

Lees as much as I like him will have to bide his time to get back in the team once he is fit.     

Bates I think is injured. Or has been until lately at least. 

I'm with Salmon on this. I like Iorfa lots but didn't think this overall his best game by a long way... Except for that tackle which was indeed world class, quite superb. 

To me we still just don't look more than a solid mid table side but in central defence we have more capacity than I would guess anyone in this league

• Haha 1

Only he could make that tackle with his pace and legs but maybe a 7 instead of usual 8's despite me being one of the biggest advocates of him playing cb.

Lost a couple of headers in the box that could have cost us against their cbs.

Saying that lees would likely have also lost out being smaller and borner lost the boro striker in the 4-1 twice and got lucky too, it happens.

Cb is currently our strongest position tho, we're easily conceeding less than a goal a game so going forward,  being more expansive and getting ff thriving in the front 3 should be the focus imo

there was 2 outstanding pieces of defending from him in the 2nd half, the tackle in front of the south stand and then the block as well in the box, not sure which one the OP is referring to but he's been excellent at CB under Monk, Tom Lees is going to have to wait for his opportunity to get back in the team, you can't change Borner/Iorfa partnership unless you have to.

10 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

Sorry tonight I can't agree - he was not calm in possession, was rushed easily and made poor passes forward under pressure.   

A lot of tonight was the fact we did not keep possession and Iorfa was a contributing factor to that.

The man needs to have less rushes of blood to the head and be more calm, read the game a little better and stop having to over react because he saw a ball late.

However, I am being over critical, we did win, and his mistakes did not cost us tonight.

agree to a point.....At times he looks awkward as....but...he does the job...Its hard to complain really.

He left a couple of easy passes short, but no harm done...As long as he continues as he is..I can't see Lee getting back in

Sell Lees 7m, Rhodes 2m in Jan. 

Bates and Thorn are more than capable understudies. 

Re-sign Joao, and offload Winnall on loan and give FF a new contract if performing. 

Would go some way to repairing the damage of that ridiculously imprudent and unnecessary Jan window where we spaffed the family silver on a total pile of wnk. 

PS Iorfa is a legend in the making, and tie him down now to a 5 year deal before Prem rumours start... 

Iorfa has played very well since he came in, Borner is a superhero.

I'm still trying to work out how two of the opposition players got through the middle of our defence for a free header when Dawson made that save last night. They were a yard and a half behind our defence.

As the ball was delivered their player won the first header then 2 of the opposition players burst through the middle and should have scored. Was it a defensive wee wee tail up or a well executed training ground planned freekick.

I've not seen a replay and it all happened too quickly for me to work it out so this is a genuine question rather than a desire to point a finger at anyone.

3 hours ago, prowl said:

Iorfa has played very well since he came in, Borner is a superhero.

I'm still trying to work out how two of the opposition players got through the middle of our defence for a free header when Dawson made that save last night. They were a yard and a half behind our defence.

As the ball was delivered their player won the first header then 2 of the opposition players burst through the middle and should have scored. Was it a defensive wee wee tail up or a well executed training ground planned freekick.

I've not seen a replay and it all happened too quickly for me to work it out so this is a genuine question rather than a desire to point a finger at anyone.

I've just watched it and when the free kick was taken one of their players is in an offside position on the left of the screen and no one has picked him up. He is moving from left to right behind our defence. Iorfa is in the middle with Fletcher nearby. Iorfa peels off to pick up the loose player but is not well positioned. Fletcher is rooted to the spot. Another player comes past 2 players on the left (can't see who they are, it's low definition ) It's the loose man and the second man who are clear as the header comes over.

The loose man looks like it's a training field ploy. Iorfa spots it but can't do much about it.

14 hours ago, swfc4_sufc0 said:

Only just got away with that tackle. It was his trailing leg that got the ball, not the one he led with. Necessary, but lucky.

7 hours ago, Jaydubz said:

So what? Still constitutes part of the block! What a stupid comment!

No need to get personal pal. Do you watch/play much football? He didn't mean to contact the ball with his trailing leg, and if he hadn't, it would have been a penalty and a yellow card. Or red, given our track record with refs.

7 minutes ago, swfc4_sufc0 said:

No need to get personal pal. Do you watch/play much football? He didn't mean to contact the ball with his trailing leg, and if he hadn't, it would have been a penalty and a yellow card. Or red, given our track record with refs.

Never played in my life 'pal'! In fact first game ive ever watched!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mighty0wls said:

Gotta feel for Tom Lees

I dont. Im sorry but you cant be sentimetal in football.

For me, Lees shouldnt just walk back into the side, I think he needs to earn it. And lets be honest, he hasnt had the best of form the last 18 months.