Jump to content
Carole Baskin

Time for Lee & Luongo to start

Recommended Posts

Luongo looks like he claimed his place already tbh . Sad to say it but Lee looks way off pace to me never guna be taking bazzas spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

Both of these to me should start against Leeds, and that probably means benching Bannan.   Yes Bannan is the one who delivers the killer balls but he sometimes makes us predictable - and Lee and Luongo both offer an awful lot moving forwards.   

 

With Hutch just behind them, we could actually be more of an attacking force moving forwards.   We don't score much from Midfield - Luongo has a couple now, and to be honest his goals have been opportunistic - just like Lee of old.  

 

 

Luongo is just a better Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we not simply drop Bannan when he has a bad game?

instead of shouting for his head when he's merely the second or third best player on the pitch?

Its bloody nonsense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monk makes him captain 

some on here want him dropping 

3rd in the league 

go figure 

most championship managers would snatch your hand off to have Bannan 

but for some not good enough for our midfield 

He is not without fault but what player is ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only Wednesday fans  would want Bannan dropped. Picked out by opposition players/managers and pundits as one of best creative midfielders in championship (stats back that up)  but some feel he's not good enough!  Think some need to give there heads a wobble 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndersonOWL said:

Luongo is just a better Lee

Luongo is nearest we have to a fully fit Lee. He's nowhere near Kieran in his pomp. At present, Bazza has to retain his place, but has to be pushed forward. Hutch and Bannan dropping back too early in games (even sometimes from the start) is inviting pressure and with only one box to box midfielder (Luongo or Lee) we aren't supporting whoever receives the out ball from deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, torryowl said:

We finally get a midfield 5 that can get results so why would we change .

This.

Why change a successful formation that has got us into 3rd position?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy talk - I cant think of any team in the Championship who wouldn't want Bannon in their team (other than the odd owls fan).

 

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good balance as it stands with Hutchinson, BB & Luongo. Hutchinson sits deep, BB the playmaker and Luongo box to box. 

 

With Harris, Reach and Luongo making runs off fletcher they need someone playing those balls in, in which they’ll come from BB or Fletcher with his back to goal. 

 

Lee should be used as a sub for Luongo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Posters should try and be less emotionally invested in players, positive or negative. It’s not a question of “haters” or “clappers” is not about dropping BB more a question of horses for courses. 

 

We all love BB because he loves our club and plays for our shirt with 100% commitment. We love his grumpy Scottish face and his questionable barnet. He provides most assists. 
And who can forget Bazzas bouncing bogey!!!

 

However....

 

BB isn’t suited to a 4-3-3. Nothing against him personally but it doesn’t suit his strengths. 

 

Take Liverpool with Henderson, Fabinho & Wijnaldum. None are what you would call creative but all are athletic, energetic and disciplined. Lee, Hutch, Luongo are closest we have. 

 

You could argue Man City play a 3 with De Bruyne, Rodri and Silva, where BB could do the Silva role. However, Silva is more mobile than BB and Citty play a high press and possession based tactic which allows them to move up and down the pitch as a compact unit therefore Silva isn’t exposed defensively. 

4-3-3: Palmer; Iorfa; Borner; Fox; Lee; Hutch; Luongo; FF; Fletch; Harris

 

For the same reason BB isn’t suited to 4-4-2, in the way we play, with wingers. We are too easily overrun in centre midfield.  Hutch and Luongo would be better in that formation. 

4-4-2: Palmer; Iorfa; Borner; Fox; Reach;Hutch; Luongo; Harris; Fletch; Winnall

 

BB is best suited to 3-5-2 where he can focus on recycling play and creating opportunities for the strikers

3-5-2:: Iorfa; Lees; Borner; Odubajo; Hutch; BB; Luongo; Reach; Fletch; Winnall 

 

He also suits 4-2-3-1 in a similar role to that played by Eriksen at Spurs. Problem here is none of last 3 managers have been able to get BB high enough up the pitch. 

4-2-3-1: Palmer; Iorfa; Borner; Fox; Hutch; Luongo; FF, BB, Harris; Fletch

Excellent post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

Only Wednesday fans  would want Bannan dropped. Picked out by opposition players/managers and pundits as one of best creative midfielders in championship (stats back that up)  but some feel he's not good enough!  Think some need to give there heads a wobble 

I think some need to understand that it's about having the right balance, the right dynamic. It's also about understanding  that if everything goes through BB, not only are we predictable, the stats will obviously show him to be our most effective midfielder.

 

As for taking my head for a wobble, I will when you can tell me what makes Bannan undroppable.  Tell me what he does that nobody else can.

 

Head for a wobble...:tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, big moz said:

Luongo is nearest we have to a fully fit Lee. He's nowhere near Kieran in his pomp. At present, Bazza has to retain his place, but has to be pushed forward. Hutch and Bannan dropping back too early in games (even sometimes from the start) is inviting pressure and with only one box to box midfielder (Luongo or Lee) we aren't supporting whoever receives the out ball from deep.

his prime has gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, torryowl said:

We finally get a midfield 5 that can get results so why would we change .

To be better in midfield and maybe be able to beat top teams? All the games we have won this season are games against bottom 3rd teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Posters should try and be less emotionally invested in players, positive or negative. It’s not a question of “haters” or “clappers” is not about dropping BB more a question of horses for courses. 

 

We all love BB because he loves our club and plays for our shirt with 100% commitment. We love his grumpy Scottish face and his questionable barnet. He provides most assists. 
And who can forget Bazzas bouncing bogey!!!

 

However....

 

BB isn’t suited to a 4-3-3. Nothing against him personally but it doesn’t suit his strengths. 

 

Take Liverpool with Henderson, Fabinho & Wijnaldum. None are what you would call creative but all are athletic, energetic and disciplined. Lee, Hutch, Luongo are closest we have. 

 

You could argue Man City play a 3 with De Bruyne, Rodri and Silva, where BB could do the Silva role. However, Silva is more mobile than BB and Citty play a high press and possession based tactic which allows them to move up and down the pitch as a compact unit therefore Silva isn’t exposed defensively. 

4-3-3: Palmer; Iorfa; Borner; Fox; Lee; Hutch; Luongo; FF; Fletch; Harris

 

For the same reason BB isn’t suited to 4-4-2, in the way we play, with wingers. We are too easily overrun in centre midfield.  Hutch and Luongo would be better in that formation. 

4-4-2: Palmer; Iorfa; Borner; Fox; Reach;Hutch; Luongo; Harris; Fletch; Winnall

 

BB is best suited to 3-5-2 where he can focus on recycling play and creating opportunities for the strikers

3-5-2:: Iorfa; Lees; Borner; Odubajo; Hutch; BB; Luongo; Reach; Fletch; Winnall 

 

He also suits 4-2-3-1 in a similar role to that played by Eriksen at Spurs. Problem here is none of last 3 managers have been able to get BB high enough up the pitch. 

4-2-3-1: Palmer; Iorfa; Borner; Fox; Hutch; Luongo; FF, BB, Harris; Fletch

This post is spot on. We have certain players who have very good qualities and are a real talent. However the opposition know this and put plans in place to thwart them playing to their strengths. 

Our current midfield finds it difficult against pacey highly energetic midfield players because neither are blessed with great pace. Leeds are a team who will use lots of pace in this area and a method will have to be found to counter this.  Bannan has not been seen at his best in last two games because opposition have players who disrupt his style. The OP made a suggestion and if Lee had running power of 3 seasons ago it would be a good call. The midfield players at Monk's disposal do not fit together ideally in all situations and I am certain this and striking area are high on agenda for additions to be made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Struggling to see how taking bannan out the team strengthens it ....I'd  be amazed if monk does this anytime soon .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Quist said:

This post is spot on. We have certain players who have very good qualities and are a real talent. However the opposition know this and put plans in place to thwart them playing to their strengths. 

Our current midfield finds it difficult against pacey highly energetic midfield players because neither are blessed with great pace. Leeds are a team who will use lots of pace in this area and a method will have to be found to counter this.  Bannan has not been seen at his best in last two games because opposition have players who disrupt his style. The OP made a suggestion and if Lee had running power of 3 seasons ago it would be a good call. The midfield players at Monk's disposal do not fit together ideally in all situations and I am certain this and striking area are high on agenda for additions to be made.

Bannans worst game..is better than a lot of the squads best games...whatever formation.

The problem Bannan has, is the utter reliance of a lot of players to look for him first...without recourse to owt else that might be on...Thats because he is ALWAYS available...not his fault..apart from the utter commitment he shows week in week out

Edited by asteener1867

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Spookone said:

Crazy talk - I cant think of any team in the Championship who wouldn't want Bannon in their team (other than the odd owls fan).

 

lol

They must be odd to want BB out of the team!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Bannans worst game..is better than a lot of the squads best games...whatever formation.

The problem Bannan has, is the utter reliance of a lot of players to look for him first...without recourse to owt else that might be on...Thats because he is ALWAYS available...not his fault..apart from the utter commitment he shows week in week out

He is a good player no doubt but this puts a rose tint on things. He demands ball and gets uppity when players do not pass to him. His distribution was very poor in last two games and his passing was inferior to several. This was due to pressure being applied to him and having less room to operate. A sensible tactic would be to use a different outlet and success we have had in these games was when other routes forward were utilised. As pointed out previously his tackling and hesitation and poor passing put us under pressure in both games. He was taken off against Cardiff which I think says a lot. if we utilise other avenues and bypass him it will force opposition to revise tactics and hopefully give him space he requires. 

If you think his performance does not vary on how we set up and how opposition play I am amazed. The team also have numerous other players who have shown they have real talent and this is not about saying so and so is not as good as somebody but saying if you have options use them. I actually thin BB probably tries to do too much and he would be an even better player if he did refine game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Quist said:

He is a good player no doubt but this puts a rose tint on things. He demands ball and gets uppity when players do not pass to him. His distribution was very poor in last two games and his passing was inferior to several. This was due to pressure being applied to him and having less room to operate. A sensible tactic would be to use a different outlet and success we have had in these games was when other routes forward were utilised. As pointed out previously his tackling and hesitation and poor passing put us under pressure in both games. He was taken off against Cardiff which I think says a lot. if we utilise other avenues and bypass him it will force opposition to revise tactics and hopefully give him space he requires. 

If you think his performance does not vary on how we set up and how opposition play I am amazed. The team also have numerous other players who have shown they have real talent and this is not about saying so and so is not as good as somebody but saying if you have options use them. I actually thin BB probably tries to do too much and he would be an even better player if he did refine game.

I take all yer arguments on board mate..its all about opinions...But I think you are wrong lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ian said:

Er....time for Luongo to start.....what like he has in the last few games you mean?

Luongo and Lee together...read the thread 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...