Time for Lee & Luongo to start

1 hour ago, AndersonOWL said:

Luongo is just a better Lee

Luongo is nearest we have to a fully fit Lee. He's nowhere near Kieran in his pomp. At present, Bazza has to retain his place, but has to be pushed forward. Hutch and Bannan dropping back too early in games (even sometimes from the start) is inviting pressure and with only one box to box midfielder (Luongo or Lee) we aren't supporting whoever receives the out ball from deep.

Good balance as it stands with Hutchinson, BB & Luongo. Hutchinson sits deep, BB the playmaker and Luongo box to box. 

With Harris, Reach and Luongo making runs off fletcher they need someone playing those balls in, in which they’ll come from BB or Fletcher with his back to goal. 

Lee should be used as a sub for Luongo. 

6 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Posters should try and be less emotionally invested in players, positive or negative. It’s not a question of “haters” or “clappers” is not about dropping BB more a question of horses for courses. 

We all love BB because he loves our club and plays for our shirt with 100% commitment. We love his grumpy Scottish face and his questionable barnet. He provides most assists. 
And who can forget Bazzas bouncing bogey!!!

However....

BB isn’t suited to a 4-3-3. Nothing against him personally but it doesn’t suit his strengths. 

Take Liverpool with Henderson, Fabinho & Wijnaldum. None are what you would call creative but all are athletic, energetic and disciplined. Lee, Hutch, Luongo are closest we have. 

You could argue Man City play a 3 with De Bruyne, Rodri and Silva, where BB could do the Silva role. However, Silva is more mobile than BB and Citty play a high press and possession based tactic which allows them to move up and down the pitch as a compact unit therefore Silva isn’t exposed defensively. 

4-3-3: Palmer; Iorfa; Borner; Fox; Lee; Hutch; Luongo; FF; Fletch; Harris

For the same reason BB isn’t suited to 4-4-2, in the way we play, with wingers. We are too easily overrun in centre midfield.  Hutch and Luongo would be better in that formation. 

4-4-2: Palmer; Iorfa; Borner; Fox; Reach;Hutch; Luongo; Harris; Fletch; Winnall

BB is best suited to 3-5-2 where he can focus on recycling play and creating opportunities for the strikers

3-5-2:: Iorfa; Lees; Borner; Odubajo; Hutch; BB; Luongo; Reach; Fletch; Winnall 

He also suits 4-2-3-1 in a similar role to that played by Eriksen at Spurs. Problem here is none of last 3 managers have been able to get BB high enough up the pitch. 

4-2-3-1: Palmer; Iorfa; Borner; Fox; Hutch; Luongo; FF, BB, Harris; Fletch

Excellent post.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

Only Wednesday fans  would want Bannan dropped. Picked out by opposition players/managers and pundits as one of best creative midfielders in championship (stats back that up)  but some feel he's not good enough!  Think some need to give there heads a wobble 

I think some need to understand that it's about having the right balance, the right dynamic. It's also about understanding  that if everything goes through BB, not only are we predictable, the stats will obviously show him to be our most effective midfielder.

As for taking my head for a wobble, I will when you can tell me what makes Bannan undroppable.  Tell me what he does that nobody else can.

Head for a wobble...:tongue:

44 minutes ago, big moz said:

Luongo is nearest we have to a fully fit Lee. He's nowhere near Kieran in his pomp. At present, Bazza has to retain his place, but has to be pushed forward. Hutch and Bannan dropping back too early in games (even sometimes from the start) is inviting pressure and with only one box to box midfielder (Luongo or Lee) we aren't supporting whoever receives the out ball from deep.

his prime has gone

11 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Posters should try and be less emotionally invested in players, positive or negative. It’s not a question of “haters” or “clappers” is not about dropping BB more a question of horses for courses. 

We all love BB because he loves our club and plays for our shirt with 100% commitment. We love his grumpy Scottish face and his questionable barnet. He provides most assists. 
And who can forget Bazzas bouncing bogey!!!

However....

BB isn’t suited to a 4-3-3. Nothing against him personally but it doesn’t suit his strengths. 

Take Liverpool with Henderson, Fabinho & Wijnaldum. None are what you would call creative but all are athletic, energetic and disciplined. Lee, Hutch, Luongo are closest we have. 

You could argue Man City play a 3 with De Bruyne, Rodri and Silva, where BB could do the Silva role. However, Silva is more mobile than BB and Citty play a high press and possession based tactic which allows them to move up and down the pitch as a compact unit therefore Silva isn’t exposed defensively. 

4-3-3: Palmer; Iorfa; Borner; Fox; Lee; Hutch; Luongo; FF; Fletch; Harris

For the same reason BB isn’t suited to 4-4-2, in the way we play, with wingers. We are too easily overrun in centre midfield.  Hutch and Luongo would be better in that formation. 

4-4-2: Palmer; Iorfa; Borner; Fox; Reach;Hutch; Luongo; Harris; Fletch; Winnall

BB is best suited to 3-5-2 where he can focus on recycling play and creating opportunities for the strikers

3-5-2:: Iorfa; Lees; Borner; Odubajo; Hutch; BB; Luongo; Reach; Fletch; Winnall 

He also suits 4-2-3-1 in a similar role to that played by Eriksen at Spurs. Problem here is none of last 3 managers have been able to get BB high enough up the pitch. 

4-2-3-1: Palmer; Iorfa; Borner; Fox; Hutch; Luongo; FF, BB, Harris; Fletch

This post is spot on. We have certain players who have very good qualities and are a real talent. However the opposition know this and put plans in place to thwart them playing to their strengths. 

Our current midfield finds it difficult against pacey highly energetic midfield players because neither are blessed with great pace. Leeds are a team who will use lots of pace in this area and a method will have to be found to counter this.  Bannan has not been seen at his best in last two games because opposition have players who disrupt his style. The OP made a suggestion and if Lee had running power of 3 seasons ago it would be a good call. The midfield players at Monk's disposal do not fit together ideally in all situations and I am certain this and striking area are high on agenda for additions to be made.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Quist said:

This post is spot on. We have certain players who have very good qualities and are a real talent. However the opposition know this and put plans in place to thwart them playing to their strengths. 

Our current midfield finds it difficult against pacey highly energetic midfield players because neither are blessed with great pace. Leeds are a team who will use lots of pace in this area and a method will have to be found to counter this.  Bannan has not been seen at his best in last two games because opposition have players who disrupt his style. The OP made a suggestion and if Lee had running power of 3 seasons ago it would be a good call. The midfield players at Monk's disposal do not fit together ideally in all situations and I am certain this and striking area are high on agenda for additions to be made.

Bannans worst game..is better than a lot of the squads best games...whatever formation.

The problem Bannan has, is the utter reliance of a lot of players to look for him first...without recourse to owt else that might be on...Thats because he is ALWAYS available...not his fault..apart from the utter commitment he shows week in week out

Edited by asteener1867

Guest LittleG
6 hours ago, Spookone said:

Crazy talk - I cant think of any team in the Championship who wouldn't want Bannon in their team (other than the odd owls fan).

lol

They must be odd to want BB out of the team!

2 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Bannans worst game..is better than a lot of the squads best games...whatever formation.

The problem Bannan has, is the utter reliance of a lot of players to look for him first...without recourse to owt else that might be on...Thats because he is ALWAYS available...not his fault..apart from the utter commitment he shows week in week out

He is a good player no doubt but this puts a rose tint on things. He demands ball and gets uppity when players do not pass to him. His distribution was very poor in last two games and his passing was inferior to several. This was due to pressure being applied to him and having less room to operate. A sensible tactic would be to use a different outlet and success we have had in these games was when other routes forward were utilised. As pointed out previously his tackling and hesitation and poor passing put us under pressure in both games. He was taken off against Cardiff which I think says a lot. if we utilise other avenues and bypass him it will force opposition to revise tactics and hopefully give him space he requires. 

If you think his performance does not vary on how we set up and how opposition play I am amazed. The team also have numerous other players who have shown they have real talent and this is not about saying so and so is not as good as somebody but saying if you have options use them. I actually thin BB probably tries to do too much and he would be an even better player if he did refine game.

2 minutes ago, Quist said:

He is a good player no doubt but this puts a rose tint on things. He demands ball and gets uppity when players do not pass to him. His distribution was very poor in last two games and his passing was inferior to several. This was due to pressure being applied to him and having less room to operate. A sensible tactic would be to use a different outlet and success we have had in these games was when other routes forward were utilised. As pointed out previously his tackling and hesitation and poor passing put us under pressure in both games. He was taken off against Cardiff which I think says a lot. if we utilise other avenues and bypass him it will force opposition to revise tactics and hopefully give him space he requires. 

If you think his performance does not vary on how we set up and how opposition play I am amazed. The team also have numerous other players who have shown they have real talent and this is not about saying so and so is not as good as somebody but saying if you have options use them. I actually thin BB probably tries to do too much and he would be an even better player if he did refine game.

I take all yer arguments on board mate..its all about opinions...But I think you are wrong lol

There’s a few that’s played a lot of football  starting to look leggy and form slightly dropping at minute 

Harris banna reach 

i dont think they are playing bad just not to their best if we can rotate them during the busy winter period I think it will do us good 

dont make wholsale changes 

let’s go fessi  for Harris next then lee for bannan then fessi for reach or some kid of combo keep these boys fresh 

I wouldn’t start Murphy on recent form 

Like we’ve done with the full backs 

1 hour ago, fpowl said:

There’s a few that’s played a lot of football  starting to look leggy and form slightly dropping at minute 

Harris banna reach 

i dont think they are playing bad just not to their best if we can rotate them during the busy winter period I think it will do us good 

dont make wholsale changes 

let’s go fessi  for Harris next then lee for bannan then fessi for reach or some kid of combo keep these boys fresh 

I wouldn’t start Murphy on recent form 

Like we’ve done with the full backs 

Hard to criticise Harris at Cardiff as he provided the assist for the goal but I thought he had a poor game. Gave the ball away a number of times in areas which put us under pressure and was poor in attack. 

Had a one run in the second half against stoke but apart from that didn’t contribute anything. Looked injured/tired right from the start.