Westwood or Dawson

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, cowl said:

He made errors today, and I thought he was partly at fault for Blackburn's first last week too.

He can't keep making errors like those otherwise there'll obviously come a point that he'll have to be dropped.

The flip side, of course, is that he's also been making some outstanding saves too.

My preference for Westwood has been based mostly on the feeling that he organizes the defence in front of him far better than either Dawson or Wildsmith, and I still think this is overwhelmingly the case (after all, no matter how many mistakes Westwood were to make, it's not going to make Dawson or Wildsmith better at marshalling their defenders), but these mistakes obviously weaken the overall argument for Westwood.

1,0000000% this.

As with all keepers they will have learned from their mistakes ..however it now comes down to age! Dawson will learn from his mistakes and has time on his side to improve his game. Westwood now can't be taught anything as he's been there and done it.

The question is do you get the lad in who has a very good future and help improve him by playing regularly or stick with an ageing but experienced keeper who can't be taught anything!

Edited by Bigblueowl
Spelling

9 hours ago, malek said:

Sadly I don't think we will have this debate next season as Dawson won't be here. Hope I'm wrong, though...

I'm not so sure Dawson will want to leave as surely he also knows Westwoods time is coming to an end. For Dawson to leave and then have to break into a new team doesn't really make sense. He knows he's next in line.

Saying that I suppose it may come back to money! 

16 hours ago, handworth52 said:

both aint good enough ,if dawson was top half championship standard he would be in the net in front of a now woeful keeper, his kicking is shocking ,now he is very prone to clangers , he holds onto ball too long , yes he has made some good saves but he is a keeper not a striker id only give him 4/10 this season dawson 3/10 and wildsmith cant get a mark as he aint even upto u23s when he kept last season 

I think next season we'll have a new keeper unless one of our two can grab hold of the opportunity in front of them, no pun intended, but it's in their own hands.

10 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Dawson !!

Westwood is a gaff a game 

westwood's stringing a 'run' together, it's not pretty, and it's not 'reassuring' IF it carries on for (say) another 3 games out of the next 6 it wouldn't be beyond expectation to hear 'he's gone' being stated.

at Christmas monk may be in need of more that a 'supporting striker'.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Westwood has conceded 171 goals in 179 games...so I can forgive him a bad run of form

Agreed but forgiveness doesn’t have to involve selecting him  

Guest LondonOwl313

Westwood has made half a dozen or so big mistakes this season now... it's enough to drop him from the team. I can't remember a time where his form has been so sustainably poor during his time with us. As for his age, he still looks to be in top condition and is capable of making the saves as he's still showing. Plenty of keepers kept playing until 40 like Seaman, Given, Buffon etc so he could have a few years left in him still but don't understand where the mistakes are coming from as they aren't one offs now.

Also, if we drop Westwood it doesn't mean that Dawson is the answer either. He probably wouldn't have made the mistakes yesterday as he doesn't come for the ball and would have been rooted to his line. If he does get the chance to come in and play ahead of Westwood then he needs to take it with both hands and eradicate the poor things that he does during games.

4 hours ago, dorian gray said:

I think next season we'll have a new keeper unless one of our two can grab hold of the opportunity in front of them, no pun intended, but it's in their own hands.

ive always been a huge westwood fan and always had in in goal in front of dawson but he is making huge errors now far too regularly ,id leave him in goal for now but he needs to know that any more of these howlers he has to be dropped , at end of season id look for a younger better keeper there are many keepers now better than westwood in championship . we may even need to look in January as dawson will be off and there is no way wildsmith can ever be considered after his howlers in u23s last season and in the few 1st team games he had for us . a year or 2 ago we had the strongest 3 keepers but sadly the young ones aint progressed and westwood`s form has dipped alarmingly. 

If Westwood has had a bad game I’ll allow it everybody has them 

what I will say is he as pretty much so when fit been more than excellent for us and I wouldn’t throw him under the bus because of one performance 

every game I’ve seen him this season ( about 10) he’s been excellent or more than done his job 

I wouldn’t dream of starting a thread calling him out for one game. I’ve not seen the game but he’s allowed a bad one 

58 minutes ago, fpowl said:

If Westwood has had a bad game I’ll allow it everybody has them 

what I will say is he as pretty much so when fit been more than excellent for us and I wouldn’t throw him under the bus because of one performance 

every game I’ve seen him this season ( about 10) he’s been excellent or more than done his job 

I wouldn’t dream of starting a thread calling him out for one game. I’ve not seen the game but he’s allowed a bad one 

You must have copped lucky with the 10 games then because no one is calling for him to be dropped as a result of yesterday.....it’s as a result of similar costly errors in many games.....be genuinely interested to hear which games you’ve been to?

Like having to choose between Iraq and Syria for a summer holiday at the moment. 

Westwood as we know is the best keeper in the league and probably the best keeper in our clubs history but it looks like time and injuries have caught up with him. 

Dawson is just terrible. 19? Games last season without a clean sheet speaks volumes and ultimately his errors cost us the chances of a playoff spot at the end of lasting season. We can't have faith in a keeper like this. 

We we really need to improve in this area in the January window. 

• Haha 2