What was that second half

Hmmm second half performance was far from great but in the final quarter we didn't look like conceding. We see available to back at >2.4 on the exchange before the game and I didn't think that terribly attractive even if the league placings would normally have had us odds on. It was not an easy assignment and I wouldn't be too critical. 

10 hours ago, Vic Flange said:

Our tactics were wrong from the start and although we won, thanks in part to a great save by Dawson, I blame Monk for not changing it earlier. 

Playing Fletcher up front on his own wasn't working from the start. He was bullied and barely won a thing apart from the flick on for the goal. 

I don't see the point in playing tactics like that against a team like Stoke and when Dawson does not have the same kicking ability as Westwood. 

It was crying out for us to play football against a poor Stoke side but all we did was keep hoofing it to nothing.

That said happy to take the 3pts.

Who would you drop out of hutch, bannan, Reach, luongo or Harris to accommodate Rhodes, winnall or nuhiu then?

That's twice in a row we've fallen apart after about 50 minutes. It felt like every time a player got the ball he was on his own with no-one to pass to. Even when they were down to 10 men. No movement. We stopped running, stopped passing. My theory is that we've got an ageing midfield who just cant keep going for 90 minutes. It's as if the extra hard work they've done to build up their fitness has already knackered them for the season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Who would you drop out of hutch, bannan, Reach, luongo or Harris to accommodate Rhodes, winnall or nuhiu then?

Hutchinson or Luongo to accommodate Forestierri. 

You can't play hoof ball like we did last night when you have Dawson in the net who doesn't have the accuracy and wherewithal of Westwood and against a team like Stoke with big central defenders.

We were still being far too rash in giving away needless free fouls. Sure I wasn't the only one thinking here we go again when Bannan(?) made that stupid challenge deep into injury time to give them a free kick just outside the area! Thankfully Duffy isn't as good at taking free kicks as Tomlin, and they didn't think to cheat by putting a big ape in front of the keeper. I also noticed that Dawson's position was much better, he obviously learned from Friday.

Guest LittleG
5 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

My point was that it didn't end like the Cardiff game because last night's ref didn't give every tackle as a freekick against us and didn't allow blatant cheating to stand.

We may not have played scintillating football in either game, but neither Cardiff or Stoke created many clear chances and we kept both at arm's length pretty effectively...except for the intervention by Friday's ref.

I probably did miss your point after the comment about having a "competent" ref last night; thought he was pretty poor. Anyway at least we scraped a win.

59 minutes ago, Vic Flange said:

Hutchinson or Luongo to accommodate Forestierri. 

You can't play hoof ball like we did last night when you have Dawson in the net who doesn't have the accuracy and wherewithal of Westwood and against a team like Stoke with big central defenders.

Our record playing 4-4-2 with FF upfront is garbage. Hutch and Luongo were the 2 best midfielders last night and Westwood’s kicking is no better than Dawson’s.

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, davetherivelinowl said:

That's twice in a row we've fallen apart after about 50 minutes. It felt like every time a player got the ball he was on his own with no-one to pass to. Even when they were down to 10 men. No movement. We stopped running, stopped passing. My theory is that we've got an ageing midfield who just cant keep going for 90 minutes. It's as if the extra hard work they've done to build up their fitness has already knackered them for the season.

Part of what you say is correct. We struggle to keep the ball and our movement on the whole is very poor. Not sure it helps the midfield when both our wingers stay wide all the time and Hutch plays like a third centre back. Leaves a lot for BB and Luongo to do in that area. 

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Our record playing 4-4-2 with FF upfront is garbage. Hutch and Luongo were the 2 best midfielders last night and Westwood’s kicking is no better than Dawson’s.

You need to have a quiet word with yourself if you think Westwood's kicks are no better than Dawson's.

Not knocking Dawson but it is a part of his game he needs to improve. 

However I would rather not, and don't think we need to,  be playing hoof ball.

14 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

He’s what we’ve needed a real battler but with a bit of FF style quality too. A steal and after the Cardiff game he looks like one of the first names on the sheet. 

Just a shame it’s taken about 5 years to sign this type of player 

Just what we needed someone who's a bit of both hutch & lee, likes t get stuck in, but comfortable, composed in possession and looks as I'd he's an eye for goal too. 

We've really missed Lee's goals from midfield apart from the odd reach worldie.