What was that second half

16 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Nobody could do the job Luongo had been doing, we sat too far back and let them have the ball.

at times in the first half Stoke had looked a shambles at the back...Second half we gave them nowt to worry about...

Anybody have a decent view of their penalty appeal?

Looked a Stonewaller from The Kop

Agreed about Luongo.

My son watched it on TV said it was a good tackle and no penalty.

18 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

He's shown how a midfield player can support a forward instead of playing tippy tappy passes back to defenders to hoof up the pitch all night.

Or trying to throw Hail Mary diagonals all night.

They bypassed midfield in the 2nd half, like Cardiff, only this time we dealt with it a lot better.

I can only remember Dawson making one proper save all game.

We won, we are 3rd in the div, FFS!, only Weds fans can complain about that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Under Monk we will win a lot of games 1-0, 2-1.  His teams that have come here in the past are quite attritional, organized and dour at certain. times. We are turning into such a side. Not really sure how we are 3rd and that’s probably a reflection of the standard of this league. Long may it continue. 

Sadly have to agree with this. 
That really was way off the mark and shows how open this league really is. 
I suppose we can and will get better which can only be a good thing but that was shocking tonight from both sides. 

To me, a lot of the problems are caused by bad decisions from players who should know better. We lost a lot of possession tonight in situations where there were players available to be found. That along with panic stricken clearances at the back. I accept that sometimes row Z is the correct place but at other times, a little more composure would enable a more constructive pass out of defence.

Expected a tough game and it was a tough game, Stoke have got some quality players and restricting them to just one clear cut chance in second half shows how well we defended. 

We could have kept ball a little better when we did win it but overall it was an excellent 3 points. 

Edited by bradowl

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Talk about panic stations and a lack of composure. Won the game but so frustrated at our inability to manage a game. Could so easily have been a repeat of Cardiff.

Totally agree with what you are saying, but I'll take dirty 1-0 wins every week if it gets us promoted. 

But we're Sheffield Wednesday, so obviously it won't 

55 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

We missed Luongo when he went off.

Top player.

He’s what we’ve needed a real battler but with a bit of FF style quality too. A steal and after the Cardiff game he looks like one of the first names on the sheet. 

Just a shame it’s taken about 5 years to sign this type of player 

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Talk about panic stations and a lack of composure. Won the game but so frustrated at our inability to manage a game. Could so easily have been a repeat of Cardiff.

Our tactics were wrong from the start and although we won, thanks in part to a great save by Dawson, I blame Monk for not changing it earlier. 

Playing Fletcher up front on his own wasn't working from the start. He was bullied and barely won a thing apart from the flick on for the goal. 

I don't see the point in playing tactics like that against a team like Stoke and when Dawson does not have the same kicking ability as Westwood. 

It was crying out for us to play football against a poor Stoke side but all we did was keep hoofing it to nothing.

That said happy to take the 3pts.

Edited by Vic Flange

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's the difference a competent ref makes.

I know the ref was poor but you can't lay all the blame at his feet for our total lack of composure and inability to keep possession of the ball.

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

Nobody could do the job Luongo had been doing, we sat too far back and let them have the ball.

at times in the first half Stoke had looked a shambles at the back...Second half we gave them nowt to worry about...

Was a stone waller 

10 minutes ago, Vic Flange said:

Our tactics were wrong from the start and although we won, thanks in part to a great save by Dawson, I blame Monk for not changing it earlier. 

Playing Fletcher up front on his own wasn't working from the start. He was bullied and barely won a thing apart from the flick on for the goal. 

I don't see the point in playing tactics like that against a team like Stoke and when Dawson does not have the same kicking ability as Westwood. 

It was crying out for us to play football against a poor Stoke side but all we did was keep hoofing it to nothing.

That said happy to take the 3pts.

Have to say I agree regarding the tactics, it didn't make sense lumping long balls in the air for Fletcher when Batth, Carter Vickers, and Lindsay when he came on, won nearly every aerial dual. We should have targeted the full backs more often, perhaps have switched Harris and Reach and let Kadeem run at Ward who isn't the quickest.

6 hours ago, LittleG said:

I know the ref was poor but you can't lay all the blame at his feet for our total lack of composure and inability to keep possession of the ball.

My point was that it didn't end like the Cardiff game because last night's ref didn't give every tackle as a freekick against us and didn't allow blatant cheating to stand.

We may not have played scintillating football in either game, but neither Cardiff or Stoke created many clear chances and we kept both at arm's length pretty effectively...except for the intervention by Friday's ref.

8 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We're struggling to get that second goal and kill teams off when we have the acendancy this season, sometimes were getting away with a 1-0 or we concede and as in Cardiff on Friday we draw. 

That's my biggest complaint at the moment, we need to be more ruthless in front of goal and take our chances better, but a good result tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

We were effectively a player light for most of the second half. I’m afraid it seems Kieran Lee just doesn’t have it in him anymore. I do hope I’m wrong though.

Ye you're wrong

9 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

I say not. It looked similar to the Tomlin incident for the free kick...