Dawson with a brilliant save again.

12 minutes ago, torryowl said:

We didn't concede and kept stoke to 1 attempt and you dont think the back 4 and keeper played well ....hows that work?

Ok I meant the game as a whole was a not dire, no individual performance

Guest LondonOwl313

I’ve been criticising him but I don’t have anything negative to say about him tonight. Brilliant save.

But Stoke didn’t play in a way that exposes his weaknesses. Not many free kicks in direct shooting distance nor were there many crosses in from out wide to deal with. 

Its not about being critical for the sake of it, it’s about saying what he needs to do to be at the right level. If he faces lots of crosses in and deals with them all well on a consistent basis I’ll be saying he should continue in goal. But he’s yet to prove that. His shot stopping has never been in question

The other thing about Dawson which highlights our questionable approach to his development is that at 24 years old we still don’t know if he’s physically robust enough to play 46 games a season. That’s insane.

I think everyone can now see Wildsmith is going to come up short, both in terms of ability and physicality, I’m not sure if we need to investigate that further...

but Dawson is an unknown quantify on that front.

Another reason we should be sending Dawson out on loan.

2 hours ago, Beholder said:

As title.

Point blank low to his left and scoops it to the side. 

Anyone who thinks he isn't good enough get a grip.

It won us the game.

From the North it looked like it had actually gone past him before he scooped it back from behind him , which would make it even more of a stunning save  . Ive not seen it on TV though. 

8 hours ago, Beholder said:

As title.

Point blank low to his left and scoops it to the side. 

Anyone who thinks he isn't good enough get a grip.

It won us the game.

Brilliant Save Beholder, but that's not all a keeper has to do 

Where Dawson lacks is commanding his area and marshalling his defence.

Hes still only young in goalkeeping terms , so hes got time to improve in these areas 

But get a grip if you think he is ready to take the gloves full time 

Brilliant save though 

Well done Dawson 

8 hours ago, vulva said:

It’s a Wednesday thing. Fox is playing well, so the mob go searching for a new target. 

I think the OP did a disservice to the fact that it was a great save by telling g everybody to get a grip.

That's why we have ended up having this debate rather then all agreeing what a great save it was

Which it certainly was !

37 minutes ago, Bluey9 said:

Hes still only young in goalkeeping terms , so hes got time to improve in these areas 

Brilliant save though 

Well done Dawson 

And yet, despite not marshalling his defence he’s kept 5 clean sheets in 6 league games.....some going that for a keeper who doesn’t command his area or Marshall his defence

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BenitoCarbone said:

Very good shot stopper, young Cam.

Needs to be more commanding and confident on crosses in the box.

Still young, though. 

Still time to make him a Wednesday legend.

24 is not that young though even for a keeper.  Been saying he's still young for last three seasons.  When will he stop being 'still young'?  Henderson at United 22, Ramsdale at Bournemouth 21, Pickford England number one a few months older and they are Premier League regulars.

10 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

I thought he played well Friday also unless were blaming him for the goal?

Not for me Coop.

Looked indecisive throughout....came out when he should have stayed on his line and vice versa , and yes, for me his positioning and his positioning of the wall for the goal wasn`t great IMHO.

Played very well last night though.

As I've no doubt alluded to young keepers will have the raw talent reflexes and agility due to age. 

Other skills such as commanding the area or marshaling a back four, perfectly placing a wall come with age and experience, he'll get there, just needs games and the confidence that comes with it to learn. 

3 hours ago, Bluey9 said:

Brilliant save though 

Well done Dawson 

At what point did @Beholder say that Dawson should be taking the gloves from Westwood? 

Oh, wait, he didn't. 

Anyway...it was a top save and I thought he played well last night. 

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

At what point did @Beholder say that Dawson should be taking the gloves from Westwood? 

Oh, wait, he didn't. 

Anyway...it was a top save and I thought he played well last night. 

As in Dawson made a top save and played well last night, not Beholder. 

12 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Quality save.

On the match thread there was a comment about 'should of come for it' - no chance of that. Positioning was spot on as he had come for that he wouldn't have got anywhere near it.

That might have been me in the heat of the moment. Having seen the replay I was wrong, it was further out than i imagined so he made the right decision and a great save!

I still think he needs to be more commanding in general though.