Jump to content

Recommended Posts

very disappointing , the club have made an effort to sign promising young players this past 5 years but none are even anywhere near having a future at any level of league football . only connor grant has a good chance . the club needs to employ someone to have a good look into why we aint getting these players to push on or are we not getting the right young lads in? we need this sorting 

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

very disappointing , the club have made an effort to sign promising young players this past 5 years but none are even anywhere near having a future at any level of league football . only connor grant has a good chance . the club needs to employ someone to have a good look into why we aint getting these players to push on or are we not getting the right young lads in? we need this sorting 

I think you’re being very harsh on these lads. The management got it a tad wrong today imho by playing two midfielders up front whilst having 3 strikers on the bench.  By doing that it put the balance of the team way out as the two usual supporting units Shaw and Grant dont know how to play as forwards. It was one of those days.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John O'Brien said:

I think you’re being very harsh on these lads. The management got it a tad wrong today imho by playing two midfielders up front whilst having 3 strikers on the bench.  By doing that it put the balance of the team way out as the two usual supporting units Shaw and Grant dont know how to play as forwards. It was one of those days.

I wasn’t there John, but I think I’d tend to agree. In fact, our worst results at this level this season, is when the team looked imbalanced Suppose it doesn’t explain why they were so successful last week, with a similar line up, though

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gurujuan said:

I wasn’t there John, but I think I’d tend to agree. In fact, our worst results at this level this season, is when the team looked imbalanced Suppose it doesn’t explain why they were so successful last week, with a similar line up, though

We had Nando up front last week. Shaw and Grant need to work off the forwards when pushing forward and that opens things up for them. It wasn’t pretty to watch at times, plenty of opportunities but we needed a couple of strikers up front to take the chances created. That’s only my opinion mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, John O'Brien said:

We had Nando up front last week. Shaw and Grant need to work off the forwards when pushing forward and that opens things up for them. It wasn’t pretty to watch at times, plenty of opportunities but we needed a couple of strikers up front to take the chances created. That’s only my opinion mate.

I would agree with that John. The 2 lads upfront didn't really look like forwards but I didn't realise they were midfielders until I read your post. The scoreline didn't reflect the way the game went and  it's certainly not all doom and gloom. I suppose at this level the result isn't always the most important thing so maybe the coaches tried something they thought would work with the 2 lads upfront and persisted with them to give them a good crack at it even though it wasn't really working. I don't know the ages of any of the players so dont know where they are in their development but there were promising signs from quite a few of them. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nut said:

I would agree with that John. The 2 lads upfront didn't really look like forwards but I didn't realise they were midfielders until I read your post. The scoreline didn't reflect the way the game went and  it's certainly not all doom and gloom. I suppose at this level the result isn't always the most important thing so maybe the coaches tried something they thought would work with the 2 lads upfront and persisted with them to give them a good crack at it even though it wasn't really working. I don't know the ages of any of the players so dont know where they are in their development but there were promising signs from quite a few of them. 

Agreed. Try and come along next Monday same time and venue when we play Barnsley. I’m sure they will set out the stall differently mate and well done in coming along to support the lads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The coaches won’t be trying to develop 18 players into first XI players, they know that’s unrealistic

 

They'll be trying to develop them all, of course...but they’ll have a a very short list of those who they think can make it at this level...and will be focusing heavily on those. You need team-mates to develop your future stars...sad fact

 

If they’re not doing it...they’re bonkers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, John O'Brien said:

Agreed. Try and come along next Monday same time and venue when we play Barnsley. I’m sure they will set out the stall differently mate and well done in coming along to support the lads.

Yes I'm hoping I'll be there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

The coaches won’t be trying to develop 18 players into first XI players, they know that’s unrealistic

 

They'll be trying to develop them all, of course...but they’ll have a a very short list of those who they think can make it at this level...and will be focusing heavily on those. You need team-mates to develop your future stars...sad fact

 

If they’re not doing it...they’re bonkers.

You're absolutely right. A mate of mine's son played in the academy at Utd a few years ago. He was watching him one morning when Everton beat Man Utd 6 0 on the next pitch. He heard the 2 coaches talking after the match and the Everton fella was saying it was obvious that Man U didn't particularly care about the result, they were just looking to find and develop the next Giggs, Beckham etc because they're the ones who make a difference and cost the big money, whereas they can pick up a workhorse for next to nothing further down the line. 

 

I once saw Alan Irvine at a Q and A and he was asked why Wednesday only have defenders coming through as youngsters and he basically said it's because anyone with potential who plays in an attacking role will be picked up by the big clubs as soon as they show any promise and Wednesday couldn't really compete. It just shows what a hard job it is for coaches at our level. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the academy has come on leaps and bounds in the last 5 years, the quality of the team is miles ahead of what it used to be , believe me it used to make for depressing viewing.

 

We have a number of very promising players and for me we need to maybe be more careful about how we handle them once they break into the first team squad.

 

When i watched a few years ago there were three players that really stood out as having a chance....Sean Clare. Matt Penney and George Hirst, and you could argue that we havent handled their progress particlarly well, albeit for a variety of reasons.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The structure under the 1st team is , as the name implies for ' development ' and so it's o k in my view to try players in different positions to see how they get on . Many players start in one position as youngsters and finish up playing elsewhere when they hit the 1st team . Dutch teams , for example ,have kids rotate positions from one game to the next . I'm sure if we did this more often we wouldn't hear quite so much about the favoured right or left foot or not being able to tackle properly and we would probably encourage better positional awareness and reading of the game and creativity .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, alan48 said:

The structure under the 1st team is , as the name implies for ' development ' and so it's o k in my view to try players in different positions to see how they get on . Many players start in one position as youngsters and finish up playing elsewhere when they hit the 1st team . Dutch teams , for example ,have kids rotate positions from one game to the next . I'm sure if we did this more often we wouldn't hear quite so much about the favoured right or left foot or not being able to tackle properly and we would probably encourage better positional awareness and reading of the game and creativity .

If it wasn’t about the result yesterday then that’s fine but i imagine that at this stage of their development it’s about creating a winning mentality in a competitive league. Last season the 18s were outstanding and as the league matches went on im pretty sure experimental positions went out the window as the wiff of silverware was in the air. A few of these lads playing yesterday came from last years phenomenal team and now need time to adjust and be given solid game time. Those that have been there for a couple of years in the 23s really should be out on loan imho.

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At what age are you classified as developed / good enough to hit the first team. 
 

I’m sure years ago that if you hadn’t made it by 18, it was time to look for a real job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still playing at 71 Rogers , so still developing ! {no not that walking stuff ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rogers said:

At what age are you classified as developed / good enough to hit the first team. 
 

I’m sure years ago that if you hadn’t made it by 18, it was time to look for a real job. 

 

I'd say that something like between 18-21 is the age where you should be more or less out of the development team and gaining experience on loan if you are not yet ready to feature regularly for the first team. Most non world-class players are getting too old much sooner nowadays. Championship is already a very tough level to maintain.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Rogers said:

At what age are you classified as developed / good enough to hit the first team. 
 

I’m sure years ago that if you hadn’t made it by 18, it was time to look for a real job. 

How many 18 yr olds are playing for Wednesday at the moment? I would say by the age of 22 they should be first team ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bolton result is of no grave importance in my view as we just need one gem.

 

What is important is that not since the early 1980's when Sterland, Shirtliff and Smith became established Premier League players has the SWFC Academy delivered.

 

In that time look at the numbers who have come through at the likes of Southampton, SUFC, Charlton Athletic, all of whom have been down in League 1.

 

Liam Palmer is one of very few to come through and if we are honest with ourselves we could pick up someone of his decent ability on a free transfer in today's market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...