Westwood’s injury

Guest Kagoshimaowl

20 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Westwood was a number 1 at a far younger age than 24. What they all have in common is the quality when they play. 

Westwood may have been number 1 at 24 but at a much lower standard than Dawson is playing (with Carlisle).....he then moved to a poor Coventry side in Championship and league 1 before becoming an established number 2 at Sunderland for 3 years 

you could very easily put a case forward for saying he didn’t become an established number 1 at a decent standard until he joined us aged 30

Edited by Ian

6 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Think Dawson will be a good keeper for us when he starts commanding his area better. For now I would much rather Westwood be our number 1. In January I would be tempted to let Dawson go on loan to gain more experience, obviously depending on our own keeper situations. 

Mid twenties, if he cant do it now when will he ?

32 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

As fans, we constantly crave the necessity to bring players through our academy, and blood our own youngsters.

Yet, as soon as any promising youngster comes through, we cannot wait to throw them to the lions. It happened with Wildsmith two seasons ago, last season Baker, Penney and Dawson all took flak for not performing consistently (despite playing with senior pros who were performing poorly at the time).

And it's continued this season with Dawson getting uncalled for and totally undeserved criticism. 

Dawson is a fantastic prospect. And he, without doubt, has the potential and attributes to become our number one for a very long time. But Westwood's almost God-like status, has almost made Dawson his antithesis, instead of the natural progression. If people actually watch games subjectively, it's clear Westwood is on the decline. He's made an alarmingly increasing rate of mistakes this season...and yet, Dawson comes in, performs admirably, and yet is castigated, for conceding a free kick from 20 yards out. It's pure hypocrisy. 

Is it really too much to ask SUPPORTERS to SUPPORT the future of OUR football club? 

I agree .

Westwood made a total mess of a save against Fulham to gift them a goal but it’s alright, don’t worry.

The fact Westwood is so injury prone, dropping out in the pre match warms up more than once ,certainly doesn’t help anybody.

I am pretty sure Colin’s team talk would be to put Dawson under as much pressure as possible.

Dawson made a fantastic penalty save at the sty to get us a point not long go. Westwood would have got a statue.

I remember the kop actually booing Wildsmith when he made a mistake in front of them. Awful.

Guest LondonOwl313
19 minutes ago, Ian said:

Westwood may have been number 1 at 24 but at a much lower standard than Dawson is playing (with Carlisle).....he then moved to a poor Coventry side in Championship and league 1 before becoming an established number 2 at Sunderland for 3 years 

you could very easily put a case forward for saying he didn’t become an established number 1 at a decent standard until he joined us aged 30

You could.. but at the same age Westwood had played 4 times as many games and had been called up at international level. Think Dawson and Wildsmith should have gone out on loan over the last couple of seasons and if they showed the right level of performance we could bring them back. 

Tbh I just judge him on what I see when I see him play. A typical performance from him involves a couple of bad errors and also a couple of great saves. His clean sheet record is very poor compared to Westwood’s and it comes down to the little things in games. Would be surprised if he can improve them to such an extent that he becomes Championship standard. We won’t win promotion with him in goal

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

You could.. but at the same age Westwood had played 4 times as many games and had been called up at international level. Think Dawson and Wildsmith should have gone out on loan over the last couple of seasons and if they showed the right level of performance we could bring them back. 

Tbh I just judge him on what I see when I see him play. A typical performance from him involves a couple of bad errors and also a couple of great saves. His clean sheet record is very poor compared to Westwood’s and it comes down to the little things in games. Would be surprised if he can improve them to such an extent that he becomes Championship standard. We won’t win promotion with him in goal

The facts have proved that we haven’t won promotion with Westwood in goal so what’s your point here?

Guest LondonOwl313
12 minutes ago, Ian said:

The facts have proved that we haven’t won promotion with Westwood in goal so what’s your point here?

With Westwood in goal, we’ve finished 13th (pre-Chansiri, with a poor outfield team), 6th, 4th and then had top 6 form when he played last season. Ok we haven’t won promotion, but we’ve been in with a shout.

This season we aren’t going to walk automatic promotion but there’s no reason why we can’t make the play offs again. With Westwood we would have a decent chance of achieving that. With Dawson we will finish mid table

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Anyone remember how good our form was and how many clean sheets we kept last season when the clown was sacked and Westwood came back in goal. 

Nah no one remembers. Dawson is one of our own so you get lynched for saying he isn’t good enough 

19 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

With Westwood in goal, we’ve finished 13th (pre-Chansiri, with a poor outfield team), 6th, 4th and then had top 6 form when he played last season. Ok we haven’t won promotion, but we’ve been in with a shout.

This season we aren’t going to walk automatic promotion but there’s no reason why we can’t make the play offs again. With Westwood we would have a decent chance of achieving that. With Dawson we will finish mid table

Do you actually watch the matches ? Westwood has been dire 

17 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Nah no one remembers. Dawson is one of our own so you get lynched for saying he isn’t good enough 

You’ve already admitted that you haven’t got a fvckin clue who’s in the net so how you can have an opinion on the keepers is a mystery to me

• Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Do you actually watch the matches ? Westwood has been dire 

I agree he’s not been up to his usual standards this season but working on the assumption that’s a blip.. Was immense last season which is only 6 months ago 

27 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Right so our entire season is based on who the keeper is.....we might as well sell all the established outfield players then, stick a load of U16’s in and blow all the money and wages on a cheeky bid to get Allison on loan to get his fitness back 

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

You’ve already admitted that you haven’t got a fvckin clue who’s in the net so how you can have an opinion on the keepers is a mystery to me

True but I’ve watched Dawson countless times and if you honestly think a keeper who doesn’t command his area and scared to come out for crosses will be part of a successful team, then you’re probably more clueless than me lol 

Oh and FYI you are the absolute last person who can dig up a poster with all your Nuhiu garbage 

Edited by FreshOwl

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, Ian said:

Right so our entire season is based on who the keeper is.....we might as well sell all the established outfield players then, stick a load of U16’s in and blow all the money and wages on a cheeky bid to get Allison on loan to get his fitness back 

Never understand why some people take a point then extrapolate it to an extreme conclusion. Sometimes it’s a lack of intelligence and other times it’s just to troll.

Keeper is a key position. Of course Westwood in goal and a poor outfield team won’t go up. I even alluded to this in my post by saying we finished 13th with a poor outfield team. Problem is, our outfield team is borderline playoffs/top half. The keeper therefore makes the marginal difference on which side of that line we finish 

Edited by LondonOwl313

Need a new number one regardless 

Westwood is a crock and past it 

Dawson gets Pelter's for one mistake yet westwoods made one everygame he's made this season but gets away with it

Westwood's performance against pigs in 4-2 was worst goalkeeping performance I've seen in years 

Dawson does same and he'd have been hung at dawn 

The so called stars at this club can't do no wrong in some peoples eyes and it pisse$ me off and while we will never progress as a team 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mark77 said:

Dawson has conceded 1 goal in 3 games. Westwood has been at fault for the red card at Reading, the goals at Millwall and at home to Fulham.

Don't get me wrong Westwood is the clear number 1 but this myth that Dawson is error prone is exactly that. He's been very consistent with very few errors that have cost us. Somehow Wildsmith seems to be 'clearly better' despite making numerous howlers in previous seasons. I went to an U23 game where he actually made 3 howlers in the space of 20 minutes. 

Dawson won us a point on Friday night with his late save.

That was a superb save low down at the near post and I cant say hand on heart Westwood would have 100% stopped that. May well have done but its 50/50.

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Never understand why some people take a point then extrapolate it to an extreme conclusion. Sometimes it’s a lack of intelligence and other times it’s just to troll.

Keeper is a key position. Of course Westwood in goal and a poor outfield team won’t go up. I even alluded to this in my post by saying we finished 13th with a poor outfield team. Problem is, our outfield team is borderline playoffs/top half. The keeper therefore makes the marginal difference on which side of that line we finish 

Westwood is usually worth an extra 10-15 points a season which in his absence for most of the last two seasons has probably cost us a Top 6 finish hence the view that playing Dawson/Wildsmith for most of the season will result in a mid-table finish?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

16 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Frightens me too mate. Guaranteed at least 1 goal conceded a game. And before anyone starts calling me negative, look up the facts lol 

If the referee had done his job against Cardiff, Dawson wouldn't have conceded

But yeah, let's have a go at a good young player

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.