Most fluid system?

For me we still haven’t got 2 quality wingers to be able to play 1 up front.

But we still struggle at times with just 2 in centre midfield. So what’s the solution? 

Id go with this...

This could quite easily change from 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1. 

I think Bannan on the left would give him more space and more chances to get forward. But can also come inside and help out defensively when needed. 

53C03AF6-1198-4D5F-98F9-0F0F8F017669.jpeg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

But we still struggle at times with just 2 in centre midfield. So what’s the solution? 

Id go with this...

I think Bannan on the left would give him more space and more chances to get forward. But can also come inside and help out defensively when needed. 

I think it was 4-1-4-1 so not really 2 in midfield.

Bannan moving inside would leave us exposed on the left, not exactly our strongest position and he prospers by being able to pass from across the midfield...

Wwood

Moses iorfa borner fox

Luongo/reach hutch bannan

Harris    fletch     ff

Think 433 may suit us better but 442 always an option with reach a bit narrower than harris to keep solid in middle:

Wwood

Moses iorfa borner fox

Harris hutch bannan reach

Fletch ff

43 minutes ago, Womble Owl said:

I think our best bet is to just put a 12th player on the pitch, see if anyone notices. 

Good idea.

That would have made it 12 v 12 last night.

That is if you ignore the linesman being their 13th player:wacko:

Edited by oldtawnyowl

The issue last night was not the system. We forced them to change theirs 

We were fine for 60 minutes but they then went even more long ball and pressed us high and we stopped even trying to pass it.

Bannan was struggling to get on the ball before he was subbed , but don’t think I would have subbed him anyway.

We need to stick with the system we played last night and work at it. The problem is we change systems too often that we are not good enough at any one of them when we come under pressure so lose our shape too easily 

Not for me, 4-3-3 is the best option for us, as it allows our midfield to dictate the play Agree though, the problem is up front. 

Fletcher leading the line, is a willing workhorse, but doesn’t score enough goals, which might not be such an issue, if the wide players were more prolific. However they are not, we’ll struggle to get more than a dozen goals between them. 

My solution would be, either upgrade on Fletcher, or one of the wide players has to be capable of scoring you fifteen goals. That’s why most clubs playing this system, would use a striker in one of the wide positions

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not for me, 4-3-3 is the best option for us, as it allows our midfield to dictate the play Agree though, the problem is up front. 

Fletcher leading the line, is a willing workhorse, but doesn’t score enough goals, which might not be such an issue, if the wide players were more prolific. However they are not, we’ll struggle to get more than a dozen goals between them. 

My solution would be, either upgrade on Fletcher, or one of the wide players has to be capable of scoring you fifteen goals. That’s why most clubs playing this system, would use a striker in one of the wide positions

I guess part of the problem with the supporting players are that they’re midfielders, so it’s not their natural game. 

A front 3 of FF - Fletcher - Joao could have been well handy. 

5 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Id go with this...

Bannan wasted wide left.

Forestieri in a front two awful.

Hope we NEVER see this tried.

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

The issue last night was not the system. We forced them to change theirs 

We were fine for 60 minutes but they then went even more long ball and pressed us high and we stopped even trying to pass it.

Bannan was struggling to get on the ball before he was subbed , but don’t think I would have subbed him anyway.

We need to stick with the system we played last night and work at it. The problem is we change systems too often that we are not good enough at any one of them when we come under pressure so lose our shape too easily 

monk has the pisspoor job of trying to make anything work with the players left by a different manager, one with a completely different mindset to the vast majority of championship managers out there.

he may have numbers (let's face it we certainly did) but he is short on quality and more so on purpose.

is westwood coming to his end?, likely.

is fox good enough? I think we should/will get better in.

is palmer good enough? touch and go that one.

hutch?, getting on in his career.

is reach good enough to play for a top end promotion challenging side, AND make an impact? no!

bannan, lee, and ff, where to go on these?

the sides of gray and carlos are near on spent, they're running on fumes, monk has to bring in in the next window or a lot of 'em will be past their 'sell by date' by start of the new season.

then there's a list of back up players who are just not good enough, big clear out of them needed, with some of the above stepping down from regular first teamers onto the bench.

if we don't make it this year, we've a complete rebuild to do.

Not many will agree with you about Bannan. But much better playing on the left and drifting inside when we have possession. When he plays central he comes too deep, which he should leave to Hutchinson, we end up with a massive gap between strikers and midfield and become reliant on Fletcher’s physicality to get us up the pitch. Luongo does however seem to do what Lee did for us prior to injury and that’s play box to box, always breaking the lines. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Not many will agree with you about Bannan. But much better playing on the left and drifting inside when we have possession. When he plays central he comes too deep, which he should leave to Hutchinson, we end up with a massive gap between strikers and midfield and become reliant on Fletcher’s physicality to get us up the pitch. Luongo does however seem to do what Lee did for us prior to injury and that’s play box to box, always breaking the lines. 

I’m easy about Bannan playing deep, or even from the left, but playing narrow. We have the ability to play out from those deep positions, especially if one of the front three occasionally drops deep, as Hooper used to do. In theory Reach has the ability to do that, but he doesn’t have a football brain. Forestieri would do it, and for that reason, he’d always be in my front three

12 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Id go with this...

I agree this would work best for us but there is one big problem Fox. For this to work long term we need a quality left back who can defend and attack as he’s going to be isolated with Bannan out there... we don’t have one 

On 19/10/2019 at 10:27, S72 Owl said:

Id go with this...

We would just have a huge hole out on the left as bannan would just drift inside anyway so you are sacrificing someone on the left just to put FF upfront which has been shown a number of times not to work. 

Nothing wrong with the formation we have, worked fine in the first half against Cardiff with both wide forwards as well as bannan and luongo supporting fletcher. created a number of good chances and with some better decision making could have created even more.

Bannan has to just stop sitting so deep, this is where our problem lies. We look a different team when he plays 15 yards further up the pitch. hutch has the range of passing to play from deep and can also drop in to let iorfa burst forward.

5 minutes ago, 83owl said:

We would just have a huge hole out on the left as bannan would just drift inside anyway so you are sacrificing someone on the left just to put FF upfront which has been shown a number of times not to work. 

Nothing wrong with the formation we have, worked fine in the first half against Cardiff with both wide forwards as well as bannan and luongo supporting fletcher. created a number of good chances and with some better decision making could have created even more.

Bannan has to just stop sitting so deep, this is where our problem lies. We look a different team when he plays 15 yards further up the pitch. hutch has the range of passing to play from deep and can also drop in to let iorfa burst forward.

Tend to agree, stick to the system we have, and if we want more potency, I’m afraid we have to upgrade the striker. The only thing that might help, using the existing squad, is to switch Harris to the right, and bring Forestieri in on the left

On 19/10/2019 at 15:56, Holmowl said:

Bannan wasted wide left.

Forestieri in a front two awful.

Hope we NEVER see this tried.

I agree. That position on the left of midfield was often where Bannan was used by his previous clubs.

He was so ineffectual he didn’t get much game time.

Answer seems obvious to me (for what that’s worth).
Harris to the right on his favoured foot.

Reach to the left on his favoured foot. 

Forestieri impact sub replacing Reach on 60 minutes.

If he replicates the form of 3 years ago drop Reach until/unless he starts showing some of his best form.