Jump to content
Lord Snooty

Man of the match CARDIFF (A)

Man of the match  

344 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Dawson 6.  Great save at the end, lacked confidence in the box on crosses. 
palmer 6. Been great this season, wasn’t quite as good last night but solid.

Big Dom. 8.5. Tremendous , so quick and strong. Great performance.

Borner. 8.5. lees is bench warming with this fella playing like this. Lovely goal.

Fox. 7.5. Did a really decent defensive job and a couple of excellent crosses. Battled in tough second half

harris. 7. Ran and battled, good play for goal and unlucky with free kick

Hutch 8. Back to his best. At times reminded me of his form at start of second CC season. 
Bannan 8. Brilliant first half, decent in second until subbed
Luongo. 7. Decent, not quite as good a player as I thought we were getting.

reach 5.5 . Has lost confidence to shoot and try stuff. Working hard but needs a break

Fletch. 7. Battled, could have done better on a couple of half chances

 

Nuhiu 6. Got involved , run and pass at end should have won it had we been awake and running

Murphy. 4. Dreadful.

 

overall really decent away performance. We are bloody hard to beat and won’t concede many. Keep the defence and goalie fit , and Bannan and fletch, we have half a chance. This season looking a bit like the second Carlos season. 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dawson 5 - flapped, stood at wrong side for goal, one outstanding save

Palmer 5 

Iorfa 8

Borner 9

Fox 7

Hutch 9 MoM

Luongo 7

Bannan 6

Reach 4

Fletcher 7

Nuhiu 5

Murphy 0 - Newcastle please take him back 

Monk 5 - poor subs 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a player Borner is, contender for man of match every game. Solid defender, can pass and carry the ball and a threat from set pieces. Iorfa compliments him and the few games he played at CB last season where he looked like a fish out of water seem a distant memory. 

 

Fox did well until late on when their sub caught him out of position a couple of times. Palmer was under par for me, nothing major but too many sloppy bits of play letting the ball go out on the sideline. Dawson was OK, bit shaky on a couple of balls into the box but very good save near the end.

 

Hutch did well, picked up his customary booking while Cardiff players seemed to get away with worse. Bannan had a good first half but faded, Luongo steady. I would have probably kept Bannan on though as he didn't look any more tired than Luongo. Harris played well but tired, great free kick and another assist. Reach so frustrating. Needs to offer more going forward and was also getting caught out more defensively, especially 2nd half when Cardiff ran off him 3 or 4 times. Fletcher, not his best performance but kept going against 2 big lads. 

Can't say I've got much faith in Murphy, certainly not the game for him against a typically robust Warnock side as he just seems so weak.

 

Looking forward to the referring decisions evening themselves out as they appear to be racking up against us lately.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dawson 5 - Great save near the end, command of area & positioning poor.

Palmer 4 - His worst game for quite some time. Probably should have been rested after international duty.

Iorfa 8.5 - MOTM for me, Lees is going to have to give his time to get back in.

Borner 8 - Another  dominantperformance & a goal.

Fox 6 - Decent 1st half, gave away too many needless free kicks in the  2nd.

Hutch 7 - Great energy,  tough tackling & drove the team forward.

Bannan 6 - Did ok, unless he was injured taking him off & replacing him with Nuhiu gave them the initiative.

Reach 4 - So frustrating, has the ability & physical attributes but offered little & couldn't tackle his grandmother.

Luongo 5 - Not in the game for long spells, lacked energy & poor decisions.

Harris 7 - Decent game, always a threat.

Fletcher 6 - Not his usual self, became isolated in 2nd half.

 

Nuhiu 5 - Presumably brought on to hold the ball up & bring others into play. Didn't do either.

Murphy 0 - Ball control, ball retention, passing, dribbling all non existent. Worst sub performance I can remember.

 

Monk 5 - Set team up well in 1st half, Palmer should probably have been rested, baffling substitutions left us with no creativity & handed them the initiative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Dawson - 6 - Spectator for the most part, especially in the 1st half. Flapped at the free kick at the end of the 1st period, but made a fine save to prevent Whyte's shot down low. I've seen some people criticise him for the goal, but I think it's harsh. A goalkeeper has to have half the goal covered, and the wall the other half. If the taker gets it up and down over the wall, then you take your hat off to them. 

 

Palmer - 6 - Part of a resolute defensive line, but looked tired as the game went on. Murphy began get more success up against him, and lazy defending which could've seen Flint win a penalty. 

 

Borner - 9 - Man of the Match - Brilliant defensive display, and capped off with a beautiful, deft touch for the goal. Out jumped the towering (but frankly, garbage) Glaztel all match. 

 

Iorfa - 8 - Similar to Borner. Brilliant, positive, strong defensive play. Few needless fouls at times, but nevertheless, another sound centre half display. 

 

Fox - 7 - Shrewd move from Monk to bring him in. Gave us extra protection from the high balls, and stood up well to the aerial bombardment. Like Palmer though, looked to get a little tired late on, as Whyte began to get the better of him on a few occasions. 

 

Hutchinson - 8 - His best performance of the season. Protected and screened well, pressed at the right times, and also got himself in some dangerous attacking positions at times. 

 

Bannan - 7 - It was another Bannan master class in the 1st half. He was sublime, and the catalyst to a fantastic first 45 minutes. Broke lines, found space in dangerous areas, and looked to make things happen. 2nd half however, the more we retreated, the less impact he had. And when we really needed him to get the ball and calm things down to give us a way back into the game, it just didn't happen. 

 

Luongo - 7 - Much better performance than the Wigan game, where he disappointed. Got himself into much better offensive positions, especially 1st half, and he performed the role he should do, within that midfield. 

 

Harris - 7 - Fine 1st half, where he looked to cause Peltier some real issues, and did well for the goal. Really needed to utilise him better in the 2nd half when Cardiff threw bodies forward and left lots of space in behind. 

 

Reach - 6 - Worked really hard as usual, but just lacked conviction at times. Numerous times in the 1st half, he had the chance to run at Bennett, but chose to turn back. We need much more of a bilateral threat.

 

Fletcher - 6 - Superb in the 1st half, dropping deep, linking up, winning free kicks. But had to do better in the 2nd half, to allow us to get up the field. Too often the ball was coming back without so much as a challenge from Fletcher. 

 

Nuhiu - 5 - In hindsight, it was a poor substitution. You could see the logic behind it, but Nuhiu did equally as poorly as Fletcher in holding the ball up and allowing us to get back into the game. 

 

Murphy - 5 - Pfft. Powderpuff. 

 

Overall...

 

Really positive 1st half performance. Not only did we defended with a resolute organisation to us, we kept the ball really well, and waited for the right moments to exploit the space Cardiff left. You could see that Monk had been working on offensive patterns of play, and it paid dividends. We should've been more than one up at half time, but that said, there was little excuse for the display in the 2nd half. 

 

We defended brilliantly throughout. Aside from giving too many cheap fouls away, they headed and intercepted everything that came their way. But you cannot go from controlling a game so comfortbaly as we did, to retreating and becoming sitting ducks. That's a real mentality issue. There's a serious lack of belief within this squad. They didn't believe they could go out there and continue to play the way their did, and get the victory. And that's a real concern. And, that's why, in all likelihood, we'll finished between 8th-12th, and not 1st like the position we could've been had we had the bottle and belief to play in a way that suits us. 

 

Before the game, most would've taken a point. But, following that game, it just seems like yet another stark reality warning of where we are as a side. So near, yet so far. Time, and time again. 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  •  

Dawson - 7

 

Palmer - 6

Iorfa - 7

Börner - 8

Fox - 8  Solid performance across both halves of the game mom just

 

Reach - 6

Hutch - 8

Luongo - 6

Bannan - 7

Harris - 7

 

Fletcher - 7

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, frastheowl said:

 

Dawson - 6 - Spectator for the most part, especially in the 1st half. Flapped at the free kick at the end of the 1st period, but made a fine save to prevent Whyte's shot down low. I've seen some people criticise him for the goal, but I think it's harsh. A goalkeeper has to have half the goal covered, and the wall the other half. If the taker gets it up and down over the wall, then you take your hat off to them. 

 

Palmer - 6 - Part of a resolute defensive line, but looked tired as the game went on. Murphy began get more success up against him, and lazy defending which could've seen Flint win a penalty. 

 

Borner - 9 - Man of the Match - Brilliant defensive display, and capped off with a beautiful, deft touch for the goal. Out jumped the towering (but frankly, garbage) Glaztel all match. 

 

Iorfa - 8 - Similar to Borner. Brilliant, positive, strong defensive play. Few needless fouls at times, but nevertheless, another sound centre half display. 

 

Fox - 7 - Shrewd move from Monk to bring him in. Gave us extra protection from the high balls, and stood up well to the aerial bombardment. Like Palmer though, looked to get a little tired late on, as Whyte began to get the better of him on a few occasions. 

 

Hutchinson - 8 - His best performance of the season. Protected and screened well, pressed at the right times, and also got himself in some dangerous attacking positions at times. 

 

Bannan - 7 - It was another Bannan master class in the 1st half. He was sublime, and the catalyst to a fantastic first 45 minutes. Broke lines, found space in dangerous areas, and looked to make things happen. 2nd half however, the more we retreated, the less impact he had. And when we really needed him to get the ball and calm things down to give us a way back into the game, it just didn't happen. 

 

Luongo - 7 - Much better performance than the Wigan game, where he disappointed. Got himself into much better offensive positions, especially 1st half, and he performed the role he should do, within that midfield. 

 

Harris - 7 - Fine 1st half, where he looked to cause Peltier some real issues, and did well for the goal. Really needed to utilise him better in the 2nd half when Cardiff threw bodies forward and left lots of space in behind. 

 

Reach - 6 - Worked really hard as usual, but just lacked conviction at times. Numerous times in the 1st half, he had the chance to run at Bennett, but chose to turn back. We need much more of a bilateral threat.

 

Fletcher - 6 - Superb in the 1st half, dropping deep, linking up, winning free kicks. But had to do better in the 2nd half, to allow us to get up the field. Too often the ball was coming back without so much as a challenge from Fletcher. 

 

Nuhiu - 5 - In hindsight, it was a poor substitution. You could see the logic behind it, but Nuhiu did equally as poorly as Fletcher in holding the ball up and allowing us to get back into the game. 

 

Murphy - 5 - Pfft. Powderpuff. 

 

Overall...

 

Really positive 1st half performance. Not only did we defended with a resolute organisation to us, we kept the ball really well, and waited for the right moments to exploit the space Cardiff left. You could see that Monk had been working on offensive patterns of play, and it paid dividends. We should've been more than one up at half time, but that said, there was little excuse for the display in the 2nd half. 

 

We defended brilliantly throughout. Aside from giving too many cheap fouls away, they headed and intercepted everything that came their way. But you cannot go from controlling a game so comfortbaly as we did, to retreating and becoming sitting ducks. That's a real mentality issue. There's a serious lack of belief within this squad. They didn't believe they could go out there and continue to play the way their did, and get the victory. And that's a real concern. And, that's why, in all likelihood, we'll finished between 8th-12th, and not 1st like the position we could've been had we had the bottle and belief to play in a way that suits us. 

 

Before the game, most would've taken a point. But, following that game, it just seems like yet another stark reality warning of where we are as a side. So near, yet so far. Time, and time again. 

 

Exactly as I saw it 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forestieri for me 

He looked very comfortable in his position.....lol

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Forestieri for me 

He looked very comfortable in his position.....lol

 

Brilliant post. 

 

I’m putting my neck on the block and I’m going to say blenkinsop will love it  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, torres said:

 

Brilliant post. 

 

I’m putting my neck on the block and I’m going to say Mrs blenkinsop will love it  

Corrected for accuracy 

Do keep up young lad .....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/10/2019 at 22:51, SouthRustyOwl said:

I don't get the criticism of Dawson.  He only found out he was playing 20 minutes before kick off so that is bound to affect disruption.  Can't be blamed for the goal as he was, frankly, cheated by the referee, he couldn't see the ball so had no chance of saving that.  Yes he flapped at one in the first half, but he then made an outstanding save in stoppage time.  My ratings are ...

 

Dawson - 6  A bit nervous at times but great save at the end

 

Palmer - 5  Got beaten too easily and basic ball control errors, wonder if he was jaded from his two Scotland games

Iorfa - 8  Really like this guy, his pace perfectly complements Borner

Börner - 8 MOTM  Signing of the century.  Strikers finish but completely solid all round

Fox - 7  Getting grief as usual but didn't put a foot wrong tonight

 

Reach - 6  Not a great game but the reason he is picked week in week out is his defensive work, full backs must love him as he never leaves them exposed

Hutch - 8  Excellent again, would have been MOTM but he has got to learn to stop getting booked, no use to us if he is suspended

Luongo - 6  Quiet but some good moments, he does a lot of the unnoticed work and is a lot like Lee

Bannan - 7  Not his best performance but good enough.  Still think that he isn't a captain and that responsibility will take away from his game.  Looked really, really tired up until the point he was taken off

Harris - 7  Dangerous in first half, and how Peltier wasn't booked for taking him out is a mystery

 

Fletcher - 7  Held the ball up well again but didn't get any chances in the box.  The one he chested was impossible to score from.

 

 

I think with Dawson it’s an accumulation of things. Yes it must be hard finding out you’re playing 20 mins before kick off when you’d expected to sit on the bench all night, but this is his job for which he’s paid well.. needs to just deal with the mental challenge of that situation. And yes the ref messed up by not applying the offside rule properly. But you play to the whistle... as for not being able to see the ball, you didn’t need to to know it was going in the bottom right hand corner. It was obvious to everyone watching on TV so it should have been obvious to him. Looked like he was stood to the left trying to get the linesman’s attention and had no chance of getting over to the right where the ball was blatantly going. He’s at least partially responsible for that goal

 

He also had the one in the second half where he just stood there and the cross went over his head and out for a goal kick. If Cardiff had someone coming in at the back post it’s a goal. 

 

There’s a general lack of control in his performances and it costs us goals. But then he goes and pulls off a class save at the end.. his shot stopping is excellent but the rest of his game is poor for championship level.

 

He’s 24 now so not even that young anymore. This will be the highest level he plays at.. when he leaves Wednesday he’ll drop down the leagues. Think there’s a lot of rose tinted glasses when it comes to him just because he’s a local lad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, frastheowl said:

 

Dawson - 6 - Spectator for the most part, especially in the 1st half. Flapped at the free kick at the end of the 1st period, but made a fine save to prevent Whyte's shot down low. I've seen some people criticise him for the goal, but I think it's harsh. A goalkeeper has to have half the goal covered, and the wall the other half. If the taker gets it up and down over the wall, then you take your hat off to them. 

 

Palmer - 6 - Part of a resolute defensive line, but looked tired as the game went on. Murphy began get more success up against him, and lazy defending which could've seen Flint win a penalty. 

 

Borner - 9 - Man of the Match - Brilliant defensive display, and capped off with a beautiful, deft touch for the goal. Out jumped the towering (but frankly, garbage) Glaztel all match. 

 

Iorfa - 8 - Similar to Borner. Brilliant, positive, strong defensive play. Few needless fouls at times, but nevertheless, another sound centre half display. 

 

Fox - 7 - Shrewd move from Monk to bring him in. Gave us extra protection from the high balls, and stood up well to the aerial bombardment. Like Palmer though, looked to get a little tired late on, as Whyte began to get the better of him on a few occasions. 

 

Hutchinson - 8 - His best performance of the season. Protected and screened well, pressed at the right times, and also got himself in some dangerous attacking positions at times. 

 

Bannan - 7 - It was another Bannan master class in the 1st half. He was sublime, and the catalyst to a fantastic first 45 minutes. Broke lines, found space in dangerous areas, and looked to make things happen. 2nd half however, the more we retreated, the less impact he had. And when we really needed him to get the ball and calm things down to give us a way back into the game, it just didn't happen. 

 

Luongo - 7 - Much better performance than the Wigan game, where he disappointed. Got himself into much better offensive positions, especially 1st half, and he performed the role he should do, within that midfield. 

 

Harris - 7 - Fine 1st half, where he looked to cause Peltier some real issues, and did well for the goal. Really needed to utilise him better in the 2nd half when Cardiff threw bodies forward and left lots of space in behind. 

 

Reach - 6 - Worked really hard as usual, but just lacked conviction at times. Numerous times in the 1st half, he had the chance to run at Bennett, but chose to turn back. We need much more of a bilateral threat.

 

Fletcher - 6 - Superb in the 1st half, dropping deep, linking up, winning free kicks. But had to do better in the 2nd half, to allow us to get up the field. Too often the ball was coming back without so much as a challenge from Fletcher. 

 

Nuhiu - 5 - In hindsight, it was a poor substitution. You could see the logic behind it, but Nuhiu did equally as poorly as Fletcher in holding the ball up and allowing us to get back into the game. 

 

Murphy - 5 - Pfft. Powderpuff. 

 

Overall...

 

Really positive 1st half performance. Not only did we defended with a resolute organisation to us, we kept the ball really well, and waited for the right moments to exploit the space Cardiff left. You could see that Monk had been working on offensive patterns of play, and it paid dividends. We should've been more than one up at half time, but that said, there was little excuse for the display in the 2nd half. 

 

We defended brilliantly throughout. Aside from giving too many cheap fouls away, they headed and intercepted everything that came their way. But you cannot go from controlling a game so comfortbaly as we did, to retreating and becoming sitting ducks. That's a real mentality issue. There's a serious lack of belief within this squad. They didn't believe they could go out there and continue to play the way their did, and get the victory. And that's a real concern. And, that's why, in all likelihood, we'll finished between 8th-12th, and not 1st like the position we could've been had we had the bottle and belief to play in a way that suits us. 

 

Before the game, most would've taken a point. But, following that game, it just seems like yet another stark reality warning of where we are as a side. So near, yet so far. Time, and time again. 

Can’t agree with Dawson’s part, and taking your hat off to the opponent getting it over the wall. They’ll do that in training on the daily

 

that shot had very little pace on it. He should have done better, no questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/10/2019 at 22:36, sheriwozgod said:

Dawson    -    5    Gets an extra point for a very good late save, other than that, oh dear,  Stayed on his line when he should have come, came out and flapped when he should have stayed and even allowing for Flints blatant interference his positioning for the goal was awful, I,m sure everyone else knew like me where he was going to PLACE it.

 

Palmer    -    3    Sorry but that was absolutely awful,  On 2 or three occasions he failed to control a 5 yard pass, let his winger get a cross in every time they attacked him and seemed to be on a one man mission to get them back in the game with his stupid fouls

Iorfa    -    8     Continues his good form really solid

Borner    -    8    Smart finish and assured defending

Fox    -    5.5    Couple of good interventions but looked vulnerable for the main part

 

Harris    -    7    Great first half, starved of the ball in the second, should have stayed on

Hutchinson    -    8.5    Best game for quite some time , like the Hutch of old , busy and a threat going forward.

Luongo    -    6    Pedestrian for long periods, needs to get involved more than this if he wants to figure regularly

Bannan    -    7    Was doing pretty well, bizarre decision to take him off

Reach    -    4    Lots of effort but precious little else, sloppy distribution and as nesh as always

 

Fletcher    -    6    His decision making wasn`t the best tonight, worked hard as always

 

SUBS

 

Nuhiu    -     5     Offered little

Murphy    -    3     I`m sorry but I have seen enough...…..disinterested, weak , and a waste of a shirt at the moment....surely he has more to offer than this. I`m already hoping there is a clause to enable him to return in January....compare his input to their substitute Tomlin

 

OVERALL

 

Would have taken a point at 7.45 but given how poor Cardiff were for 80 mins we only ourselves to blame that we didn't get all three...…...should have been a comfy win but our game management second half was pi$$ poor and at a time when Cardiff were getting back in the game it was a horrendous decision to take off the best player we have at looking after the ball , first black mark to Monk in what has been a very encouraging start.

 

nailed it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Borner though Big Dom ran him very close,Hutch looked far better than of late,Harris had a very good game almost notched one from the free kick.

Fox was the better FB on the night Palmer for once looked off his game,which is rare,Bannan was industrious but lost his way a bit 2nd half.

Dawson had a very quiet first hour,thanks to the defence,but was at fault for the goal,forget the antics of Flint,hes a job to do,and was way out of position on the FK.

We need a keeper that pushes Westwood for his spot,sadly neither of our own are upto it,suprised its not been mentioned before,but its been a glaringingly obvious for the past 4 seasons 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fox had a brilliant game. Iorfa kept having to cover for Borner all the match. This left a whole on the right. 

Watch other matches where iorfa also has to continually cover for Borners bad positioning 

Fox was outstanding on Friday night. 

Re the Cardiff goal. What about Dawsons inexplicably bad positioning? He made it so easy for the striker to score. Dawson was to blame for the goal due to his positioning. 

We all know Warnocks attitude to the game. Bend every rule possible. He's a clever man. Not my cup of tepid water but a clever man. 

Cardiff deserved to win after our appalling second half display. 

Hutchison really got his act together second half after a terrible first half. He was excellent as was fox. Rest if the team second half were awful. 

I like the comment about a Bannan masterclass. Not one of his corners cleared the first man. A masterclass in how not to take a corner. 

Bannan clean through. No idea what to do. A masterclass in incompetence. When will GM stop him taking corners as he hasn't a clue how to even get the ball into the box. 

Gm has to stop playing the usual suspects, the very players who have failed season after season, if we are to get into the playoffs. 

Hopefully intthe transfer window he can sign a decent midfield playmaker and striker. If not then forget promotion. Again. 

GM has a vvv hard job with a team of proven failures but I blame him entirely for our second half display. 

A manager of his quality should know better. 

Edited by Mrmason69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to mention Morgan Fox

 

How good was he against Cardiff

 

That tackle in the second half was awesome, I thought their player had beat him for pace, but Morgan got there

 

He's a very good defender who does the basics very well, but for some reason we have a section of our support that don't like him

 

I had Borner MOM, Iorfa a close second, then Hutchinson who had his best game for ages, and then Fox

 

 

 

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iorfa for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit late to this but I thought Iorfa was absolutely colossal. Borner was his usual dependable self, Fox was solid, Hutch had a good game, Fletcher worked his socks off, Harris was our big threat as always.

 

Palmer still looks out of place at right back. I cant praise him high enough when i see him at left back but on the right he goes to pot. Positioning is off, he falls back in to his old routine of switching off and ball watching and on Friday his passing was poor as well which compounded his performance. Reach wasn't great either and Bannan had an off day.

 

Plus the ref was completely bent so we didn't have a chance anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Newcastle have done a number on us twice first stealing Bruce from us and now offloading the woefully inept Murphy brother ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...