Second Half

The main reason I'm not too critical of Monk's substitutions is this: When everything is going well and you make a change and the other team come back, then that's a bad substitution. But Cardiff had been on top of us from 50-55 minutes onwards. We were under pressure and a goal felt like it was coming. These substitutions didn't do much to release the pressure, but it wasn't as if we were in control of the second half before Bannan and Harris went off. So while they weren't good substitutions, at least Monk recognised something was broken and tried to fix it.

Where I would be more critical is we were in control of the first half, but then struggled in the second half. Why did this happen? Mitigating factors were the awful weather and weak ref, which helped put more pressure on us, but I think we needed to show a bit more composure and bravery on the ball and draw more fouls out of Cardiff.

3 hours ago, slinger208b said:

A substitution can change a game, if it needed changing.

We were winning and if he wasn't showing much more than everyone else, why not make a change and rest Bannan for the remainder of the week?..

Loads of options and scenario's I guess, right decision you're a hero wrong one and you get slated. 

7 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

This Bannan is a part of our soft underbelly with Reach Palmer etc. When the going gets tough they disappear !! 

Right move taking him off but should have brought on Lee.

Lee has been way off the pace and wouldn’t have made the slightest of differences in a game like that 

The wrong sub was the one on the wing 

Edited by FreshOwl

46 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Lee has been way off the pace and wouldn’t have made the slightest of differences in a game like that 

The wrong sub was the one on the wing 

Murphy has come in for some right flack after last night 'even worse than Kim Olsen' 'as apathetic as Jay Bothroyd'. So everyone slags Monk for bringing him on. I'm no fan of Murphy and I'm glad he rarely gets a game BUT ....

Against Hull we were losing 1-0. Murphy comes on, wins a penalty (not given) skins his full-back and sets up a peach of a chance (was it Reach who missed it?). In other words he could've won us that match. You can't blame Monk for hoping he might have a similar impact again.

It turns out he was bloody awful. But that's the beauty of hindsight.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, fpowl said:

Couldn’t agree more there’s some muppets that would simply highlight a section of a post without any kid of insight  to their meaning or doing so. 

Always thought why don’t they think before they post that 

strange some people but each to their own 

Well the meaning is fairly simple. Over the last few years we've seen some really bad displays. Sheffield United at home, Burton at home, Blackburn away to name a few. A decent point away at Cardiff in admittedly frustrating circumstances isn't 'the worst display from a Wednesday team for a few years'. The only way that can be your opinion is if this was the first game you've watched in that period of time. I'd suggest it isn't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Themagiccap said:

The trouble with going back to front with Nuhiu and Fletch played into the hands of Morrison and Flint and completely negated our quick passing game. It desperately needed Nando on in place of Reach and Harris on right. 

Yes, agree

23 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

The main reason I'm not too critical of Monk's substitutions is this: When everything is going well and you make a change and the other team come back, then that's a bad substitution. But Cardiff had been on top of us from 50-55 minutes onwards. We were under pressure and a goal felt like it was coming. These substitutions didn't do much to release the pressure, but it wasn't as if we were in control of the second half before Bannan and Harris went off. So while they weren't good substitutions, at least Monk recognised something was broken and tried to fix it.

Where I would be more critical is we were in control of the first half, but then struggled in the second half. Why did this happen? Mitigating factors were the awful weather and weak ref, which helped put more pressure on us, but I think we needed to show a bit more composure and bravery on the ball and draw more fouls out of Cardiff.

spot on post. 
Wednesday’s bad luck was more to blame than Monk’s decisions. What we need to do is improve our creative play and put games to bed so that bad luck doesn’t come into play so often.  That means bringing in players who have more influence going forward than Reach did on Friday.