Second Half

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well it depends.. i’m assuming you’re saying that because he would be playing everyone onside? But if your keeper is going to stand so far to the left that he literally can’t get across to the right hand side of the goal if it goes there, you’re practically giving a goal away at this level as most Championship free kick takers can chip it over a wall most of the time. Was almost the same as the Norwich goal in April.

no...the misses far outweigh those that go in ….it was a good un tonight but that's the first one ( I think) since the Norwich game .

I had no issue with him taking bannan off. The game became too physical for him on a wet surface. I was calling for Dave to come on at the time so that we could make something stick up top (which ultimately didn’t end up happening anyway)

We dropped the points due to diabolical officiating and a lack of desire and urgency to kill the game off.

And of course it should have been FF for Reach. Monk pulled a shocker with the Murphy sub 

Why he thought bringing on a feeble, disinterested Murphy in that type of game was a good idea, only god knows. 

Edited by FreshOwl

8 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I’m a Bannan fan but he was very poor second half. Hardly touched the ball for 30 mins. When the other team starts to get on top Bazza is a liability. Not negging him or blaming him. Just doesn’t have physical attributes when the going gets tough. 
Would have preferred a straight swap for Lee tonight to bring extra pace, composure and energy whilst keeping the solid team shape. 

This Bannan is a part of our soft underbelly with Reach Palmer etc. When the going gets tough they disappear !! 

Right move taking him off but should have brought on Lee.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Thought the first 60 mins we were excellent and unlucky not to be 3 or 4 up. Problem is, it happens quite frequently where we don’t capitalise in games when we’re on top so not sure what we do to rectify that. It costs you over a season as the better teams get the second goal and then hold on for 3 points.

Ref was absolutely dire throughout. Guess Cardiff were always going to come back and have a go at some point with it at 1-0 but their end product was poor. Subs were bad, formation had been working and as soon as Bannan went off we lost control of midfield. Nuhui had a poor game. Murphy doesn’t look good enough, he might be quick but when the balls at his feet he isn’t.. it’s like chalk and cheese when compared to Harris. Also very weak and can’t hold it up.

Disappointing the number of free kicks we gave away, albeit the ref was giving them for pretty much anything which made it hard. Not impressed by Dawson either, I mean he comes in at short notice and he makes a good save at the end, he’s not terrible but nearly every time I see him play there’s an error in there, sometimes we get away with it and sometimes we don’t. You can’t have a keeper making an error a game if you’re a team trying for promotion, it’s not good enough. God knows what he was doing with that cross that luckily went out at 1-0. Then for the goal, yes we know that Flint is obviously interfering with play, but the ref and linesman can also see it and were choosing not to give it. So he has to focus on saving the free kick and not messing about trying to get their attention. To stand so far to the left that all they have to do is get it over the wall and it’s a goal is poor. Could see it a mile off that the ball would end up in that corner just because of his positioning. Why not have someone on the post to kick it clear. We did the same against Norwich last season too which was a very similar game with Westwood dropping out injured, us being in front and a late free kick leveller. They aren’t learning. Not sure who’s responsibility the man on the line is, whether it’s Dawson, the defence or Monk that’s to blame but it’s poor. Wouldn’t be happy with that at Sunday league level 

Totally agree with all of this. We unfortunately won't challenge if Dawson plays a lot of games as he's just not good enough to be the first choice keeper for a side with promotion aspirations for the reasons you state in your post. Doesn't command his area, his positioning when facing free-kicks is shocking. You might as well give the opposition a penalty as give them a free-kick on the edge of the area. The only thing he's got going for him is, he's a decent shot stopper but there's more to being a good goalkeeper than that.

Taking Bannan off was bizarre unless he's injured. Murphy just doesn't look with it. That said for the first hour we looked a good side. This week wil tell us a lot about our credentials. Borner and Iorfa look really good at centre defence but the full-back problems remain. Harris looks a really good signing. Unfortunately Reach looks really off it at the moment and if there was a genuine option to replace him, his place would arguably under threat.

I suspect what will cost us in the end is our lack of a goal threat. Fletcher has been outstanding but he's not a 20 goal a season man. Forrestieri might pull something out of the bag and Nuhiu will have his moments but Winnall and Rhodes have been shocking signings and we're lumbered with them at the moment with little prospect of offloading them anytime soon and our goal threat from midfield just isn't a consistent one.

11 hours ago, fpowl said:

Quite possibly the worst display I’ve seen from a Sheffield Wednesday team in a few years now 

I lost count on the needles free kicks we gave away 

i know conditions were awful but cardiff was terrible and there for the taking 

2 points dropped I bet Monk is fuming 

Ime fuming at monk, completely lost it when he took Bannan off. 

8 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

People really need to think before they post.

Couldn’t agree more there’s some muppets that would simply highlight a section of a post without any kid of insight  to their meaning or doing so. 

Always thought why don’t they think before they post that 

strange some people but each to their own 

11 hours ago, The Horse said:

I'm fuming with Monk.

Take Bannan off and try to defend a lead for 40 mins?

Reach and Luongo left on when they contributed fizz all?

Powder puff Murphy instead of Forestieri?

Seriously WTF?

It was clear what he wanted to do once he replaced Bannan with Nuhiu. Bypass midfield and hoof long balls to our front two, and hope they can keep it away from our goal.

As you said, we stopped playing and set to defend 1:0 lead with almost 3'rth of the game left to play. I'm also fuming with Monk, I can take defeat (or draw in this case) but not this cowardly approach :angry:

Totally agree with all of this. We unfortunately won't challenge if Dawson plays a lot of games as he's just not good enough to be the first choice keeper for a side with promotion aspirations for the reasons you state in your post. Doesn't command his area, his positioning when facing free-kicks is shocking. You might as well give the opposition a penalty as give them a free-kick on the edge of the area. The only thing he's got going for him is, he's a decent shot stopper but there's more to being a good goalkeeper than that.

Bloody hell :ohmy:

Edited by malek

11 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Not been to many games then?

Been to a few watch all off them on sky stopped going when I had my son and ticket prices went to over £35 so I probably go to around 8-10 a year now then the sky matches 

How we went from controlling the game and should have been 2 or 3 up to being on the back foot all second half was worrying, along with taking off bannan and replacing him with Nuhiu, couldnt work that out...very negative and disappointing for me.

2 points dropped.

Guest Grez Bez

I understand the thought process taking Bannan off for Nuhiu as they were just bypassing our midfield (presume our plan was to do the same) but it didn't work at all.

The Murphy substitution was criminal

26 minutes ago, debram said:

Same as most, not a lot but he can change a game, midfield was non existent when he went off. 

Midfield was non-existent when he was on. 

I am a Bannan fan but it was the right decision to bring him off last night. He was less effective with or without the ball than Hutch and Luongo. 

mistake was to bring Dave on leaving us short in midfield. Should’ve brought Lee on instead. Similar qualities to Bannan but fresher legs and more pace

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Horse said:

I'm fuming with Monk.

Take Bannan off and try to defend a lead for 40 mins? : Maybe with the rest of the week in mind

Reach and Luongo left on when they contributed fizz all? : Could be that they won't have as much involvement in the week as more key players

Powder puff Murphy instead of Forestieri? : Possibly thought it wasn't worth the risk with the ref

Seriously WTF?

Had shown dominance throughout the match and winning so maybe Monk was prudently managing the squad for the rest of the week.

Decisions are a gamble, win some lose some.

A point away at Cardiff isn't the worst result...

12 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

I understand the thought process taking Bannan off for Nuhiu as they were just bypassing our midfield (presume our plan was to do the same) but it didn't work at all.

The Murphy substitution was criminal

True, we wanted to get ball as quickly as possible to front two to keep ball away from our goal. There is no point in keeping Bannan on the pitch if we are not to play through him. I see the logic, but strongly disagree with it.

43 minutes ago, debram said:

Same as most, not a lot but he can change a game, midfield was non existent when he went off. 

A substitution can change a game, if it needed changing.

We were winning and if he wasn't showing much more than everyone else, why not make a change and rest Bannan for the remainder of the week?..