Second Half

Quite possibly the worst display I’ve seen from a Sheffield Wednesday team in a few years now 

I lost count on the needles free kicks we gave away 

i know conditions were awful but cardiff was terrible and there for the taking 

2 points dropped I bet Monk is fuming 

• Haha 1

Played into warnocks hands, he wanted a scrappy game, monk got schooled n gave it him with nuhiu for bannan.

Would have took reach off for ff and luongo for lee, we offered nothing and invited pressure, anyone could see it coming

Guest The Horse

I'm fuming with Monk.

Take Bannan off and try to defend a lead for 40 mins?

Reach and Luongo left on when they contributed fizz all?

Powder puff Murphy instead of Forestieri?

Seriously WTF?

10 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Quite possibly the worst display I’ve seen from a Sheffield Wednesday team in a few years now 

I lost count on the needles free kicks we gave away 

i know conditions were awful but cardiff was terrible and there for the taking 

2 points dropped I bet Monk is fuming 

Not been to many games then?

• Haha 4

Agree that Monks subs were shocking decisions. However that's still no excuse for the 2 wee wee poor performances from the 2 players that came on. 

All this constant crap about Nuhiu holding up the ball and closing out games. Dont make me laugh. I watched him closely. He won 1 header, and make 1 completed pass. Apart from that he surrended possession every time he touched the ball.

And Murphy. 1 word. Disgusting.

However I lay the blame with Monk tonight unfortunately. But I do like Monk and hope today was a school day for him. He absolutely killed us with those subs, and needs to learn from that mistake.

Edited by steelerian

We seem to tire early, then dropped deeper and resorted to more long balls conceding possession immediately. When we have energy and play the ball around and get in behind like the first half we look promotion candidates. We looked very poor in the 2nd and caused our own downfall aided by some dubious decisions from Monk and the ref.

2 hours ago, fpowl said:

REALLY!!!!!

This season

Queens Park Rangers, Hull

Last season

Brentford (away)

Norwich (home)

Blackburn (away)

Reading (home)

Millwall (away)

17/18

Pigs (home)

Bristol City (home)

Need I go on........

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Monk cost us that.

Struggling to get hold off the ball so take Bannan off

How does that work?

I’m a Bannan fan but he was very poor second half. Hardly touched the ball for 30 mins. When the other team starts to get on top Bazza is a liability. Not negging him or blaming him. Just doesn’t have physical attributes when the going gets tough. 
Would have preferred a straight swap for Lee tonight to bring extra pace, composure and energy whilst keeping the solid team shape. 

9 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I’m a Bannan fan but he was very poor second half. Hardly touched the ball for 30 mins. When the other team starts to get on top Bazza is a liability. Not negging him or blaming him. Just doesn’t have physical attributes when the going gets tough. 
Would have preferred a straight swap for Lee tonight to bring extra pace, composure and energy whilst keeping the solid team shape. 

no one was getting hold of the ball

but the person most likely and capable of getting hold of it was taken off

Guest LondonOwl313

Thought the first 60 mins we were excellent and unlucky not to be 3 or 4 up. Problem is, it happens quite frequently where we don’t capitalise in games when we’re on top so not sure what we do to rectify that. It costs you over a season as the better teams get the second goal and then hold on for 3 points.

Ref was absolutely dire throughout. Guess Cardiff were always going to come back and have a go at some point with it at 1-0 but their end product was poor. Subs were bad, formation had been working and as soon as Bannan went off we lost control of midfield. Nuhui had a poor game. Murphy doesn’t look good enough, he might be quick but when the balls at his feet he isn’t.. it’s like chalk and cheese when compared to Harris. Also very weak and can’t hold it up.

Disappointing the number of free kicks we gave away, albeit the ref was giving them for pretty much anything which made it hard. Not impressed by Dawson either, I mean he comes in at short notice and he makes a good save at the end, he’s not terrible but nearly every time I see him play there’s an error in there, sometimes we get away with it and sometimes we don’t. You can’t have a keeper making an error a game if you’re a team trying for promotion, it’s not good enough. God knows what he was doing with that cross that luckily went out at 1-0. Then for the goal, yes we know that Flint is obviously interfering with play, but the ref and linesman can also see it and were choosing not to give it. So he has to focus on saving the free kick and not messing about trying to get their attention. To stand so far to the left that all they have to do is get it over the wall and it’s a goal is poor. Could see it a mile off that the ball would end up in that corner just because of his positioning. Why not have someone on the post to kick it clear. We did the same against Norwich last season too which was a very similar game with Westwood dropping out injured, us being in front and a late free kick leveller. They aren’t learning. Not sure who’s responsibility the man on the line is, whether it’s Dawson, the defence or Monk that’s to blame but it’s poor. Wouldn’t be happy with that at Sunday league level 

16 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

no one was getting hold of the ball

but the person most likely and capable of getting hold of it was taken off

Don’t agree Righty. On tonight’s performance in isolation. I felt Luongo and Hutchison won and kept more possession than Baz after halftime. IMO it’s better to focus on what’s actually happening in a given game / conditions / situation than on what is likely to happen. 

Also, and I apologise up front if it’s semantics but is Bannan most likely and capable of getting hold of the ball i.e. winning it for himself or is he most likely and capable of using it well when he has it?

Point being that when Baz doesn’t have time and space to receive the ball from the back 4 and Hutch he becomes ineffective. 

As I said before, I’m a Bannan fan but he has strengths and weaknesses like everyone else. 

13 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Thought the first 60 mins we were excellent and unlucky not to be 3 or 4 up. Problem is, it happens quite frequently where we don’t capitalise in games when we’re on top so not sure what we do to rectify that. It costs you over a season as the better teams get the second goal and then hold on for 3 points.

Ref was absolutely dire throughout. Guess Cardiff were always going to come back and have a go at some point with it at 1-0 but their end product was poor. Subs were bad, formation had been working and as soon as Bannan went off we lost control of midfield. Nuhui had a poor game. Murphy doesn’t look good enough, he might be quick but when the balls at his feet he isn’t.. it’s like chalk and cheese when compared to Harris. Also very weak and can’t hold it up.

Disappointing the number of free kicks we gave away, albeit the ref was giving them for pretty much anything which made it hard. Not impressed by Dawson either, I mean he comes in at short notice and he makes a good save at the end, he’s not terrible but nearly every time I see him play there’s an error in there, sometimes we get away with it and sometimes we don’t. You can’t have a keeper making an error a game if you’re a team trying for promotion, it’s not good enough. God knows what he was doing with that cross that luckily went out at 1-0. Then for the goal, yes we know that Flint is obviously interfering with play, but the ref and linesman can also see it and were choosing not to give it. So he has to focus on saving the free kick and not messing about trying to get their attention. To stand so far to the left that all they have to do is get it over the wall and it’s a goal is poor. Could see it a mile off that the ball would end up in that corner just because of his positioning. Why not have someone on the post to kick it clear. We did the same against Norwich last season too which was a very similar game with Westwood dropping out injured, us being in front and a late free kick leveller. They aren’t learning. Not sure who’s responsibility the man on the line is, whether it’s Dawson, the defence or Monk that’s to blame but it’s poor. Wouldn’t be happy with that at Sunday league level 

you put a man on  the line and your asking for trouble ….no teams do that ..

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, torryowl said:

you put a man on  the line and your asking for trouble ….no teams do that ..

Well it depends.. i’m assuming you’re saying that because he would be playing everyone onside? But if your keeper is going to stand so far to the left that he literally can’t get across to the right hand side of the goal if it goes there, you’re practically giving a goal away at this level as most Championship free kick takers can chip it over a wall most of the time. Was almost the same as the Norwich goal in April.