EFL hiring barristers

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/16/efl-step-investigation-derby-sheffield-wednesday-reading-stadium/

Looks like the investigation into us, Derby and Reading is stepping up. 

EFL hiring barristers who advised the Government on Brexit/Supreme Court (that well went well...)

Problem EFL have is if the barristers come back and find that us, Derby and Reading broke the rules, then the EFL would basically have to admit to the likes of Boro that they failed to implement their own rules correctly. 

Can of worms...

Good times though. 

You've got the Council trying to close down Hillsborough and the EFL desperately trying to find an excuse to take some points off us. 

Never a dull moment. 

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

This is never ending.
If they was a problem the EFL shouldn't not have let us out of the embargo.

Well, I suspect this is why they are "lawyering" up. 

Boro have been arguing for several months now that the EFL failed to correctly implement their own rules. 

The whole thing is a complete shambles. 

Financial fair play, VAR, Embargos, Traffic restrictions, racism, stadium ownership, Brexit, blah blah blah.

God bring back the proper football tomorrow. Am i getting old or is there a lot more news about admin and rules these days? Can't we just have ridiculous transfer rumours between games. Lets just go get Warnock sacked tomorrow. Sod the EFL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a certain inevitability about us getting promotion back to the Premier League after over 2 decades our, only for us to be demoted straight back due to issues over a taxi firm. 

Typical Wednesday chapter 4,892. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, vulva said:

There is a certain inevitability about us getting promotion back to the Premier League after over 2 decades our, only for us to be demoted straight back due to issues over a taxi firm. 

Typical Wednesday chapter 4,892. 

The main questions is...how can the EFL approval all three club's accounts, then comeback several months later and decide that we have breached rules and should be docked points/fined etc? 

Originally, did they not apply their own rules correctly? 

If so, then don't they leave themselves open to litigation from Boro, us, Derby and Reading. 

Points deductions could have a significant impact on promotion/relegation and so on. 

It is an absolute can of worms. 

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The main questions is...how can the EFL approval all three club's accounts, then comeback several months later and decide that we have breached rules and should be docked points/fined etc? 

If so, then don't they leave themselves open to litigation from Boro, us, Derby and Reading. 

Points deductions could have a significant impact on promotion/relegation and so on. 

I’d go back a step further and suggest that the club should have ratified their intended transaction with the EFL prior to actually doing it. 

Get the impression we have gone down the route of asking for forgiveness, rather than permission. 

7 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Financial fair play, VAR, Embargos, Traffic restrictions, racism, stadium ownership, Brexit, blah blah blah.

God bring back the proper football tomorrow. Am i getting old or is there a lot more news about admin and rules these days? Can't we just have ridiculous transfer rumours between games. Lets just go get Warnock sacked tomorrow. Sod the EFL.

Couldn’t agree more Tarn.

Football’s regulatory bodies are all, so far as I can see, either corrupt or incompetent .

When local authorities also paint a target on our back that just adds insult to injury.

One thing is for sure and it’s this. What might be best for the fans is entirely beyond their comprehension or concern.

Just now, vulva said:

I’d go back a step further and suggest that the club should have ratified their intended transaction with the EFL prior to actually doing it. 

Get the impression we have gone down the route of asking for forgiveness, rather than permission. 

Perhaps, but then why sign off on the accounts in the first place? 

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

That's what I would have thought. The article shows that the EFL provided written confirmation to Derby that what they did was not breaking any of their rules. If Wednesday also have something from the EFL in writing, have had the accounts agreed by the EFL or followed the same process as Derby then the EFL cannot come back months later and change their mind. 

If the above is correct and the EFL are subsequently found to have not enforced their rules properly then I would expect the EFL to have to face action rather than the teams involved in this, if they did everything the EFL asked of them.

Just now, SiJ said:

Perhaps, but then why sign off on the accounts in the first place? 

No idea. But that may form a huge part of our defence. Not sure if double jeopardy applies to football clubs that can’t balance the books. 

1 minute ago, vulva said:

No idea. But that may form a huge part of our defence. Not sure if double jeopardy applies to football clubs that can’t balance the books. 

But it appears we did balance the books within the rules, in the same way that Derby did. 

4 minutes ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

Steve Gibson is demanding that the 1-4 defeat a few weeks ago be changed ... to a 3-4 defeat (he’s still drunk from the Robson era) 

They might have scored 3 anyway if the striker they spaffed a large chunk of parachute money on could hit the net. 

Parachute payments eh, funny how a particular club is getting a bit shirty now that theirs has run out. Nothing fairer than awarding clubs around £80M over a couple of years for failure.

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

They might have scored 3 anyway if the striker they spaffed a large chunk of parachute money on could hit the net. 

Parachute payments eh, funny how a particular club is getting a bit shirty now that theirs has run out. Nothing fairer than awarding clubs around £80M over a couple of years for failure.

Indeed ... £15 million for that fat bag o sheite with a dodgy knee ... Gibson still drunk I tell ya 

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That's what I would have thought. The article shows that the EFL provided written confirmation to Derby that what they did was not breaking any of their rules. If Wednesday also have something from the EFL in writing, have had the accounts agreed by the EFL or followed the same process as Derby then the EFL cannot come back months later and change their mind. 

If the above is correct and the EFL are subsequently found to have not enforced their rules properly then I would expect the EFL to have to face action rather than the teams involved in this, if they did everything the EFL asked of them.

I think there lies the crux of this.

Gibson's beef is with the EFL for allowing it. Therefore the EFL are bringing in Lawyers (at whose expense?) to cover their

arses from Gibson. 

If they are in the wrong then Gibson has a green light to sue them. Nothing to do with us. We did as we were told within the EFL rules (assumption)

so if the EFL rules were not applied correctly then Gibson will sue.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mkowl said:

This is a bit like my occasional dealings with HMRC for clients when they seem to change the rules after the event

Don't mess with the taxman!