Sheffield Council Traffic Regulation Order

Well it's official, the lunatics have taken over the asylum, there's no stopping them now. If they allow me to land on the pitch think it;s best for me to parachute in.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Guest Manwithastick

It may be worth noting that the council is proposing a 'Prohibition of Driving' notice, NOT a 'Prohibition of Driving (except access)' notice. There is a 

significant difference.Think about how many vehicles currently park within the proposed 'red and blue hatch zones' on match days, plus those that park along

the proposed 'red line' section on Claywheels; where do we imagine all of those vehicles will be displaced to? 

You'd hope that the restrictions are kept sensible as far as timings go but I'm not sure 'sensible' is on the council agenda. Why put 10am in? For early ko's?

So a 3pm ko might expect these closures from 12pm - 6pm? Or they could (if passed) choose to implement them for the full 12 hours.

The closure of the Wednesdayite car park already had us looking for alternatives - I thought we'd found one in Park & Ride at Nunnery or Meadowhall - it 

worked fairly well for us versus QPR, though we missed the equaliser as I had fears about the potential for delay/crush (my son has terrible crowd anxieties that 

have meant getting to a stage where he can attend without serious problems has been a big obstacle - this 'change' to our attendance 'routine' is a big set back). 

Now I see this won't be an option v Leeds (and others in future?) 

He struggles (loses his sense of 'safety') with long walks from the 'safety' of the car to the ground - I feared Leppings Lane tram stop to the South via the bridge but 

was very proud of how he handled it - can anyone suggest somewhere not too far outside of the exclusion zones on the south route in (or possibly the north if we come 

in via M1 Chapletown junction) that we could use for parking?

Has it been advertised in any local paper? They’re supposed to and in some cases should consider advertising in the affected streets.

Basically they should make every effort to get the information to as many people affected as possible 

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06013/SN06013.pdf

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/2489/regulation/7/made

Edited by Ash76

18 hours ago, Maddogbob said:

Thats utterly insane. Plus if i was a local resident, id be bloody furious, if i couldnt leave or go home, during a game. 

Definitely suspect dark arts at work from the council. 

I'm a local resident who got the letter too. Obviously, I'll be at the games so it doesn't affect me directly - but closing my road "all day" before and after does. 

Do the council think I wake up on a Saturday morning and sit waiting until I can go to the match, then go home after? No - I work full time and have stuff to do on a Saturday morning like most people.

My next door neighbour is a community nurse and works weekends - under these restrictions she can't do her job.

The council are a total joke.

1 minute ago, Ash76 said:

Has it been advertised in any local paper? They’re supposed to and in some cases should consider advertising in the affected streets.

Basically they should make every effort to get the information to as many people affected as possible 

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06013/SN06013.pdf

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/2489/regulation/7/made

Interestingly, I noticed signs on lampposts the other night but they were to let us know that it was going to be a 20mph zone (fine - there's a school and lots of pedestrians) but nothing about the closures. 

who ever thought up tbis bright idea It looks easy drawing lines on maps, but just take one point into view. Take the case of someone, a no -football fan, who lives in say Grenoside,for example, who wishes to visit someone , or shop, in the City Centre. They would go via the A61 towards the Centre, bypassing Hillsborough  on the way. They are not football fans but possibly have business there. HOW DO THEY GET THERE. ? This plan has simply put a block on the main road into Sheffield

How does someone like me, when visiting the match, and unable to walk great distances, get there? The only way i can get to the ground will be to drive up the Left side of penistone road, and turn into Parkside Rd, then jump out of a parked car and over the brodge..Fortunately, I'm a prawn Sandwich supporter and use the South, but I would be in stuck  if I wanted either the North or the Kop  Likewise, anyone approaching from Middlewood  would be prevented from using Catchbar Lane and Parkside Rd.

The map has obviously been drawn up by someone who is a) totally unfamiliar with the area b) does not drive a car and /or c) is fit as a fiddle.

This map wants trawling round not only Wednesday fans, and local Residents but around all the hospitals, businesses and non-football people of  Sheffield.

Maybe its time for some 'Civil Obedience' where everyone attempting to visit Sheffield, STRICTLY OBEYS THE REGULATIONS. This would leave a ground empty apart from Away support, and total Grid Lock on roads leading to Sheffield.

• Like 1

From what I've read on here the bloke who's idea this is is a blunt. Maybe time for a public meeting focusing on why the changes are being made and is there a conflict of interest re Mr blunt. Also as already said in a lot of matches the away attendance is one man and his dog so it could be argued this is overkill and affecting more people's lives than is acceptable for the problem posed and should be decided on a match to match basis 

17 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

I park on my mothers drive on Shenstone rd , bang across from the away end . if this happens thats me knackered. 

I am in a similar situation although my mum lives top side of Middlewood Road but access to her drive is going to be a nightmare.

Presumably, the bus gate at Hillsborough Corner will still apply which basically means that all through traffic on the A61 will have to travel along Penistone Road, then turn up Parkside Road and then drive along Middlewood Road to Deepcar or Stocksbridge to get to the M1, Barnsley, etc.

How many millions have been / are being spent on improvements to Penistone Road / Derek Dooley Way to make sure that traffic can disperse as efficiently as possible and yet we have some mentally challenged idiots who have been given the power to close one of the city's main arteries for 12 hours on a weekend without any consideration whatsoever for local residents, fans and local businesses. This is especially poignant as the Council have issued a proposed 20mph zone across most of the side roads in Hillsborough, Wadsley, Middlewood, etc., which (if enforced!) would reduce the risk to pedestrians considerably.

As for local traffic, even on non-match days, traffic at Malin Bridge, Wadsley Lane, Wadsley Bridge and Middlewood Road is bad enough but add to that a football match and the road closures, gridlock is inevitable with local residents and businesses basically losing a day of their lives.

From twitter

Hillsborough traders and residents are furious about proposals to shut off swathes of roads on SWFC match days.
Cabinet member for transport @Bob_of_Hills - also a ward councillor - says he will not sign off the plans if residents are unhappy.
Story to follow

• Like 1

So my question is why are the same level of OOT measures not used when the blades are at home, presumable putting the same logic into the S2 area the whole of town all the way to the university tram stop will be on shut down for all future blades games that's all the businesses on Ecclesall road and London road too.

Or will the Blades premier league games just continue without any restrictions. The quicker we get this incompetent Labour lot out of the council the better.

Think about it, current road closures and diversions are not in accordance with the law as they've not gone through a TRO whether than be temporary or permanent

The council will have the amend these plans significantly.

Penistone Road is a main arterial route in and out of the city. There's no way they can close this on a Saturday when it's at its busiest. The diversion will mean traffic significantly backing up to the jcn of Parkside Road onto Penistone Road for most of the day, which in itself causes issues with emergency vehicle movements, which is one of the so called reasons given for the plans in the first place.

How do the residents of the terrace streets on the North side of the ground function - essential the plans say you can't drive, unless they have dispensation. I suspect this is a deprivation of liability issue and could be easily challenged.

Why have they targeted no parking restrictions on Rawson Spring Road? Is there a safety issue here?

Bizarre.

• Like 1