Nice cheap tickets for Blackburn ,not.

3 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Would love to do a comparison to the average wages in the 70s and 80 etc and compare them to ticket prices. I would hazard a guess that it would be pretty similar now.

As for not budging past 20k, when we have reduced tickets prices the attendance does not go up by much. Think the thing is people have other things to do, or go to as well so just use cost as an excuse for not attending.

As I said why not get a ST, if you cant pay up front. Sure there must be away to pay monthly either by the club or on a card.

For me personally a season ticket isn’t really an option , I work every other weekend . When I retire in 5 years I will have one until I’m too old to travel . This is the first time in all my years as a supporter that I have struggled to be able to not only afford a ticket but to also justify paying what I consider rip off prices . 

13 hours ago, torres said:

So that’s 4, 2 of which are getting new grounds and Leeds’ cheapest stand doesn’t have 2 big posts in view 

Take away the nostalgia and the Kop is very poor 

The Kop didn't have a roof and was a hill when I started - but you all know this, lads. For the record it was the Christmas games 1978-79 I first showed up. Blimey there it is - I've just become an old'un I knew it had to happen. lol

On 14/10/2019 at 15:32, Sticky belly said:

£40 to watch championship football is pretty outrageous when you think about it. Really shouldn't be anymore than £20 for me.

Totally agree but no one is forced to pay any amount, just don't go, most footballers are overpaid and genuine fans ripped off. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Not at all. You choose what you want to do, I just choose going to games over other activities , one less night out or a few hours overtime pays the cost of a match ticket. 

How much overtime are you willing to put in before you scratch your head and think    " what the f-ck  they are having me over here" ? 

Edited by the monk

5 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

I entirely understand the reason for high ticket prices.  But it doesn't mean I agree with it.  I want to see us promoted as much as the next fan, but if it prices me out of the market I'll be pretty upset.  At the same time the only way to get across the line is to improve the squad and that costs money.  

So the 1-2k pay on the gate are funding it ?

20 hours ago, PortlandOwl said:

Chucking money around doesn't guarantee success. We've been languishing in the Championship for nearly 8 years now. In fact, some of the most successful managers have only had a shoestring budget to work with.

Go on then, do the average spend for promotion from the Championship over the last 8 years.  I'd wager that on average the money spent is certainly not a "shoestring".  You'll quote Huddersfield and the Pigs and I'll quote Villa, Fulham, Bournemouth.  Ultimately it doesn't guarantee success, but it certainly puts you in a better starting place.

Just not bothered...

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Go on then, do the average spend for promotion from the Championship over the last 8 years.  I'd wager that on average the money spent is certainly not a "shoestring".  You'll quote Huddersfield and the Pigs and I'll quote Villa, Fulham, Bournemouth.  Ultimately it doesn't guarantee success, but it certainly puts you in a better starting place.

Yep, our high ticket prices helped us buy Jordan Rhodes, amongst others.

50 minutes ago, PortlandOwl said:

Yep, our high ticket prices helped us buy Jordan Rhodes, amongst others.

Who every single fan creamed themselves over at the time.  And who would have walked over hot coals to make happen.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Just not bothered...

On 17/10/2019 at 17:31, Harrysgame said:

Would love to do a comparison to the average wages in the 70s and 80 etc and compare them to ticket prices. I would hazard a guess that it would be pretty similar now.

As for not budging past 20k, when we have reduced tickets prices the attendance does not go up by much. Think the thing is people have other things to do, or go to as well so just use cost as an excuse for not attending.

As I said why not get a ST, if you cant pay up front. Sure there must be away to pay monthly either by the club or on a card.

I'd hazard a guess you'd be wrong. In fact I don't have to guess. Not that I'd expect it to change your view.

Average wage in 1980 was about £6k. Now it's about £30k. It's roughly 5 times higher. As for ticket prices. Here are ticket prices in 1980 which were branded as crazy as they were so expensive. It's the modern equivalent of £9 to get on The Kop and £16.80 on the North and South Stands. Under a tenner a game for the cheapest tickets.

The season ticket price quoted in the 1980 article must have been in the North or South Stand as otherwise it would have been cheaper to POTG if it was a Kop ST. The cheapest Early Bird ST this year in the equivalent stand this year was £555. That compares with a modern equivalent of £300 for the 1980 ticket.  Comparing current later phase STs would be even more unfavourable. It's slightly more complicated though as the ST in 1980 would only have been for 21 games instead of 23. 

crazy.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

I'd hazard a guess you'd be wrong. In fact I don't have to guess. Not that I'd expect it to change your view.

Average wage in 1980 was about £6k. Now it's about £30k. It's roughly 5 times higher. As for ticket prices. Here are ticket prices in 1980 which were branded as crazy as they were so expensive. It's the modern equivalent of £9 to get on The Kop and £16.80 on the North and South Stands. Under a tenner a game for the cheapest tickets.

The season ticket price quoted in the 1980 article must have been in the North or South Stand as otherwise it would have been cheaper to POTG if it was a Kop ST. The cheapest Early Bird ST this year in the equivalent stand this year was £555. That compares with a modern equivalent of £300 for the 1980 ticket.  Comparing current later phase STs would be even more unfavourable. It's slightly more complicated though as the ST in 1980 would only have been for 21 games instead of 23. 

crazy.jpg

Wow, you could go to 2 matches (on kop or Lepp) for the price of one current matchday programme!

How times change 

(Before anyone remarks I know, it's not worth the same nowadays).

Edited by OWL1969

On 18/10/2019 at 16:13, mattitheowl said:

If used correctly yes. Obviously we made a massive wee wee tail up of it and bought in utter dross . The pigs , Huddersfield and Norwich proved sensible recruitment is the smartest way . 

above anything else , our ticket prices cannot be justified . They are disgusting 

11 hours ago, rickygoo said:

crazy.jpg

Good research that,  6k  av wage now 33k. 

Guess as I was only on £35 per week in 84. It is all relative. So it was a big chunk of my money.

Now not so much.

Think is back then the wages and cost of running a club were so much less. So ticket costs have to go up if we want players like JR, FF etc.

On 14/10/2019 at 16:05, bigdan2003 said:

Am I reading this right...there are people blaming Chansiri for Blackburn’s ticket prices.

What else shall we pin on him? Brexit? Typhoon in Japan? The outbreak of the ****** plague in 1665?

:laugh:

Typhoon in Japan ? I prefer Tetley tea bags TBH. lol

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, james o connor said:

If used correctly yes. Obviously we made a massive wee wee tail up of it and bought in utter dross . The pigs , Huddersfield and Norwich proved sensible recruitment is the smartest way . 

above anything else , our ticket prices cannot be justified . They are disgusting 

Call it utter dross if you want but under Carlos we played best football I've seen since days of Waddle and Sheridan. 

7 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Good research that,  6k  av wage now 33k. 

Guess as I was only on £35 per week in 84. It is all relative. So it was a big chunk of my money.

Now not so much.

Think is back then the wages and cost of running a club were so much less. So ticket costs have to go up if we want players like JR, FF etc.

For a start we would literally have half as many players back then.  Before we even look at how much they were paid!

Just not bothered...

13 hours ago, james o connor said:

Well they proved you CAN do it with sensible recruitment.  But at the same time you could look at Barnsley and Rotherham, say they have recruited sensibly too, but where have they got to with it?  

Huddersfield, Norwich and The Pigs got lucky in that it all gelled and worked at the right time.  You could point to Villa and say they got it right too.  There's no perfect formula.  But there isn't a club in the country that needs less money next year than this.

Just not bothered...

6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Prices will never come down as long as people still pay them.
Part of me hopes just a few hundred make the trip to Blackburn as that might make them think twice again before charging £40.
But we will probably still take 2,000 minimum. Wednesday and football fans are too loyal sometimes.

Definitely putting a few off going but we'll be taking more than a lot of clubs do at cheaper prices, 1,970 sold by this morning. 

Huddersfield took 2,000 Saturday at £25 a ticket.