Congratulations Liam Palmer

1 hour ago, sheffwed1 said:

I might be wrong here but didn’t Fletcher retire from international football?

41 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

He may of pulled out of a few squads due to injury but not sure if he has actually retired.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/steven-fletcher-considers-retiring-from-scotland-duty-1-4986848

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Or does it show how much Palmer has improved with regular game time.

he has improved without  a doubt ,2-3 years ago he was getting a lot of stick . even jon newsome who played that position gave him some right stick when we played pigs (A) I was next to him and was interesting hearing what he said .he certainly wernt his biggest fan and criticised his positioning etc . he played that position (right back) when he was here.

I watched quite a bit of the game from around 25 mins on and he didnt put a foot wrong,had a decent game.

Wasnt easy,especially second period as it just pi$$ed it down the entire game,and the pitch was soaked,and passing on the side nearest the stand became a farce and I was expecting the ref to call it off,but they stuck with it and made the best of a bad night.

Well done Liam,played his part

11 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

I watched quite a bit of the game from around 25 mins on and he didnt put a foot wrong,had a decent game.

Wasnt easy,especially second period as it just pi$$ed it down the entire game,and the pitch was soaked,and passing on the side nearest the stand became a farce and I was expecting the ref to call it off,but they stuck with it and made the best of a bad night.

Well done Liam,played his part

From this description alone I'm expecting Fox to play Friday. Sounds like the sort of pitch that would be heavy on the legs

Most consistent Sheffield Wednesday player over the last 7 seasons.

Our back line has changed many times but he keeps getting picked.

Mr dependable. Also very comfortable on the ball. 

On his 8th manager now I think. 

Now Scotland managers are seeing it too. 

Well done Liam!!

Edited by Beholder

My understanding was that Fletch was not included by request. With Griffiths still on the comeback trail, it's very likely Fletch would have started against Russia otherwise.

Bannan is mostly suffering from having a lot of competition in the tier above him. Armstrong, Fleck, McGinn, McTominay, Paterson all in the Prem, and McGregor at Celtic. I don't think Bannan's far down the list, tho obviously there's also Jack, Shinnie, Cairney and Turnbull in that 'not quite in the squad' area. I'd probably have Bannan in the squad, tho likely not starting. His ability to create from deep is better than any of the others on that list, and for all the detractors on here when he's not having the greatest of games, he is still vital and can make us a goal from nothing.

As for the main man, Palmer. Did ok against Russia. No goals from his area, and he was pretty steady, tho he did seem to be under instruction to not go forward much (not that Scotland did a great deal of that anyway). Perhaps he was just reticent to overcommit after losing goals in his first cap. Who knows. He didn't do anything particularly wrong, despite the scoreline.

Against San Marino, again, pretty steady. Was a disappointing Scotland performance for me, despite it being a 6-0 win. Might sound silly, but it was a very individual performance, not much team play, just folk pouring forward trying to get a goal for themselves. So Palmer ended up largely on the periphery (as did Robertson at left back). Still, good for him to get a win under his belt, and playing both 90 minutes suggests he might get a look in for the next ones too. Fingers crossed.

16 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Are players coming back from international duty in need of a rest or better off for playing twice? 

I imagine Palmer will be in a good place given he's started both games, and got his first win for the national team.

Adthe only played 1 of teh two games, but seemingly didnt have one of his better games. He always seems like he's 'on an up' tho, so hopefully wont be affected by any fan negativity.