All time favourite games remembered 50s/60s

I was there.  On the Longside terrace, along the pitch.  

Was one of our best ever wins away.  They were reigning league champions.  

Bit of a wet miserable day though.

Think that was the first time I heard the song 'Poetry in Motion' sang about Keith Ellis.

Shame we lost 2-0 there in the FA cup quater finals a month or so later.

28 Nov 1959.  WHU came to Hillsboro as league leaders.  Sportsnight(Sportsview?) had done a midweek special programme on them, bigging them up being a wonderful London club. Don't think we got a mention.

We were 3-0 up in 20 mins, 4-0 after 20 I think.  Ended 7-0 to us and we played the last 20 mins or so with ten men as Tony Kay went off on a stretcher. No subs in those days.

I just remember a bloke next to me on the Kop muttering under his breath now and then.   'Cam orn you 'Ammas'.    I'd never heard a cockney accent before so I thought he had something wrong with him.

• Haha 1

I remember the weather also that day Lincs Owl.  On our way to the match we heard on radio that several games were postponed in Lancashire and the game at Turf Moor only went ahead after a 2.30 pitch inspection.  If you'd have asked today's players to turn out on that pitch they would have got straight back on the coach!!

7/10/61 82's were all packed, finally got on one but it was bang on three as we walked down Leppings lane on our way to the terrace. A bit of a queue there so it was 5 minutes past as Dad lifted me over the turnstyle. Looked up at the score board on top of the shed to discover we were 0-2 down. I think Greaves was playing, needn't have worried though as we ran out 5-3 winners with goals from Bobby Craig, Billy Griffin, Colin Dobson and a brace from John Fantham. 

my all time favourite ever  is the cup win at leeds in 69 …..best ive ever seen us play, leeds won the league that season only losing 2 games but we played them off the park that night .

honourable mention for the 0-1 at the lane when Ritchie's header sent us to the top of the league 

. 2 games mentioned above.  That 6-1 thrashing of Chelsea witnessed John Ritchie opening his goal scoring account with us.

That cup win at Leeds is unforgettable.  I was living in Leeds at the time so loved going to work the next day.  The best part of that match was near the end when we got a free kick in a good position and Eustace kicked it out of the ground.  Now that was taking the wee wee.

3 hours ago, TommyCraig6 said:

. 2 games mentioned above.  That 6-1 thrashing of Chelsea witnessed John Ritchie opening his goal scoring account with us.

That cup win at Leeds is unforgettable.  I was living in Leeds at the time so loved going to work the next day.  The best part of that match was near the end when we got a free kick in a good position and Eustace kicked it out of the ground.  Now that was taking the wee wee.

I didn't go to the Leeds replay though I did see the 1-1 draw at Hillsborough. We haven't had a crowd that big (52,111 according to the book!) since and I suppose we won't ever again. I remember watching highlights of the replay on TV so they must be around somewhere. My dad's reaction to the Eustace free kick was "they're learning....." Alas, what was to follow over the next few years!

On 17/10/2019 at 15:22, fredmciverslovechild said:

I didn't go to the Leeds replay though I did see the 1-1 draw at Hillsborough. We haven't had a crowd that big (52,111 according to the book!) since and I suppose we won't ever again. I remember watching highlights of the replay on TV so they must be around somewhere. My dad's reaction to the Eustace free kick was "they're learning....." Alas, what was to follow over the next few years!

The 4 cup games that season watched by over 200000 fans ...the cup meant something back then.

The 7-0 win over Burnley early in 1967 was a game I recall quite well,it was Jack Withams debut,he was a sub that day and came on and hit two goals,against his hometown club as well.

The first goal didnt go in untill Ford scored after 38 mins,then McCalliog got a second just before the break.

The second half sarted with a goal almost straight from the restart,Ford again,8 minutes later Witham got his goal after replacing the injured Usher  @ half time ,then Ford got his hatrick goal 5 minutes later,7 minutes after that Witham added his second,with the crowd chanting for 7, Johnny Quinn added the 7th @ 78 mins,and to cap it off McCalliog missed a penalty with 4 minutes left!

Not bad considering it was quite a cagey first half hour!

That 7-0 game was a strange one. First half an hour was absolute garbage; typical end of season stuff. But once Ford got the opener Burnley fell apart and we scored seven in 40 minutes. The crowd was shouting for Whitham to be given the spot kick to get his hat trick; perhaps McCalliog thought he could still get one himself.

Also remember the 5-0 against Sunderland in an evening game at Easter a few weeks earlier. Never seen rain like it but we were fantastic that night and Meggy got one of his rare goals. 

6 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

That 7-0 game was a strange one. First half an hour was absolute garbage; typical end of season stuff. But once Ford got the opener Burnley fell apart and we scored seven in 40 minutes. The crowd was shouting for Whitham to be given the spot kick to get his hat trick; perhaps McCalliog thought he could still get one himself.

Also remember the 5-0 against Sunderland in an evening game at Easter a few weeks earlier. Never seen rain like it but we were fantastic that night and Meggy got one of his rare goals. 

the story I heard was  that they were chasing the biggest league win so  stuck with mccalliog as the taker …..whether that's right I'm not sure but it was a crap pen that Thomson could have thrown his  cap at to stop it.  

On 16/10/2019 at 14:52, fredmciverslovechild said:

31 Dec 1966 beating Chelsea 6-1.

Probably the best Wednesday performance over 90 minutes I've ever seen. And can still remember so much of it.

That was my first game, thought it would always be like that !  It's a bit sad for you to say it might have been the best Wednesday have ever played, I've been going 53 years and it must have all been downhill!

I went to the 7-0 v Burnley mentioned in this thread and the 1-1 draw with Leeds (the only time my Dad came with me).

One of my favourites was the Villa Park second replay v Palace with the real old fashioned centre forward Brian Joicey, what a night.

Here's a little known fact about the 6-1 Chelsea game.

They had to make a late change in goal when Peter "The Cat" Bonetti failed a late fitness test and they called up Tommy Hughes, a young Scottish keeper. He made a bit of a mess with the first goal, from Jim McCalliog, but to be fair he didn't have a prayer with the others so it wasn't his fault. But you could say he had the last laugh as he was goalie for Hereford United when they beat us 2-1 at Hillsborough in Jan 1976. That was ten years, two divisions and basically light years away....

Another great game I remember was Stoke City at the Victoria Ground November 1963.  It was raining cats and dogs and we were 4-1 down with about 20 minutes to play.  John Ritchie had scored a hat trick.  It finished 4-4.  Pancho Pearson and Bronco Layne 2 each!

Bronco, Bronco tearing across the Hillsborough plains!  Sung to the Rawhide theme music.

Boxing Day 1970 I saw us throw a 4-1 lead away late on at Boothferry Park.  Hull came back to make it 4-4! 

By the way, Jack Whitam is a Burnley lad. He told me that is family were at the Burnley 7-0 game and he was naturally disappointed he didn't get a hat-trick.

He made up for it when we beat that great Man Utd side 5-4 which must rank as one of the greatest games seen at Hillsborough.  Jack definitely got his hat-trick and some say he got 4 but some also say Stiles own goal. 

On 17/10/2019 at 12:00, TommyCraig6 said:

Jim McCalliog got the first after 18 minutes against Chelsea,Ford scored after 42 minutes and we went in at half time 2-0 up,but Chelsea came out with a strong wind behind them for the 2nd half,but couldnt male it pay despite Tambling scoring an early scorcher,right in the top corner, but within the space of the next 8 minutes Ritchie had scored two headers and we lead 4-1.

David Ford put one on a plate for John Fantham to score a 5th waltzing through their defence and the 6th came just before the end when McCalliog threaded a neat pass behind the Chelsea defence for Ford to fire past the helpless stand in keeper,memorable day indeed

Another decent game from the 66/67 season was the southampton game in february,when Fantham,who struggled with injury that season scored a hatrick.

Gerry young was already missing after a cartilidge operation,but wed lost Eustace after the defeat at the lane the week before,wed conceeded 3 in 8 minutes at saints earlier that season and trailed 1-4 at half time,I think Ron Davies got a hatrick.

Johnny Quinn came in for Eustace,Pugh had beeen standing in for Young,McCalliog scored after 25 minutes,Fantham headed the 2nd just before the break.

We scored the third after 47 minutes after smart work from Quinn then Ford gave Fantham his 2nd.Fantham raced into the box and just as he was about to pull the trigger,was tripped and he converted the penalty for his hatrick after 68 mins.

Despite creating some very good openings we couldnt add to our tally and the scoring was completed 2 minutes from the end when Martin Chivers scored a consolation goal for the saints,he was standing in for the injured Ron Davies.