Nuhiu.. carthorse or misunderstood genius

1 hour ago, steelerian said:

For those saying try him in midfield or CB - really? Are you serious?

His biggest assets are his touch - quite silky for a big guy - and he does have a bit if an eye for a finish.

However he is so immobile that it doesn't matter how good his other qualities may be, he could never play any other position that point man striker. The guy just cannot run. It's like hes running through thick tar all the time.

If I had to chose between carthorse or genius, it's the carthorse every single time.

Absolutely I agree with you for this.

So yes, I am serious when I say he could do a job and prove his worth in the centre of midfield - you actually help my cause by stating one of his assets.

Now, think of other assets and I am sure the cumulative effect of totting all these assets up, if you ignore his height - bring you to the conclusion that he is better deployed in the centre of midfield.

Thank you for agreeing with me!

Guest Jack the Hat
2 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

It will never happen, but if you played Nuhiu in CM for a game, you would see his worth.

Vision and an eye for the pass - or shot.

Like I say, never happen as he's been given the role of striker because of his size, which is unfortunate.   His skillset to me says midfielder.

Or goalkeeper because of his speed!

10 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Centre mid is a joke.. never ever..

Close your eyes and vision all the times you have seen Nuhiu come away with the ball with several players marking him.

Seriously, do it.

Then take a look at the times he wins the ball (at his feet) and passes it off in an attacking sense.

This guy, I am riled writing this, but this guy gets given a way of playing because of his size - the guy can't head the ball for all his worth, he tries but my god he can't do it.    He can however take the ball and find a pass.  He can find the ball and take a shot.   He can dribble with the ball at his feet, which is quite something for a big guy.    More over though, this man knows what is around him, he has vision - and that is my main concern.   Vision.   That to me by its self tells me he could do a CM position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Salmonbones said:

Close your eyes and vision all the times you have seen Nuhiu come away with the ball with several players marking him.

Seriously, do it.

Then take a look at the times he wins the ball (at his feet) and passes it off in an attacking sense.

This guy, I am riled writing this, but this guy gets given a way of playing because of his size - the guy can't head the ball for all his worth, he tries but my god he can't do it.    He can however take the ball and find a pass.  He can find the ball and take a shot.   He can dribble with the ball at his feet, which is quite something for a big guy.    More over though, this man knows what is around him, he has vision - and that is my main concern.   Vision.   That to me by its self tells me he could do a CM position.

Hmm.. you make a convincing argument put that way..

• Like 1

I'd say he's pretty consistent nowadays. Bring him on anything after the 60 minute mark and you can expect him to be effective. He is skillful, creative, and reads the game well. By the final stage of the game his main disadvantage - the lack of pace - matters less as things open out and legs tire. Equally, he seldom looks really convincing when he starts a game.

3 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Hmm.. you make a convincing argument put that way..

Hey listen I do know when writing this i'm probably in a minority of one saying this - and that's fine.   It's just a thought i've had for quite some time now.    

I don't see Nuhiu as a CF, I see him as someone who can play a bit, has some skill and has a very good eye for a pass.  Has the odd goal in him etc.   

3 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

It will never happen, but if you played Nuhiu in CM for a game, you would see his worth.

Vision and an eye for the pass - or shot.

Like I say, never happen as he's been given the role of striker because of his size, which is unfortunate.   His skillset to me says midfielder.

The Kosovan Ya Ya Toure

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Salmonbones said:

Seriously, do it.

So you are basically saying we should replace Bannan with Nuhiu then.

lol

43 minutes ago, torryowl said:

very good member of the squad who whether chasing a game or defending for our lives can come on and do a job …...very rare that he gets left out the matchday squad whoever the manager as been so they must be of a similar opinion . .

He is what is known as plan B.

15 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

He is what is known as plan B.

absolutely ….came on for 3 minutes Saturday won a header in our own box , held the ball up in injury time to kill the game ……..he is what he is , a big unit who can defend when needed and create panic when the balls lobbed into the oppo's box when they are hanging on . …..we don't have anyone else who can do that .

He doesn’t have the instinct or the movement of a striker: I recall making a specific effort to watch him in a cup replay (Macclesfield?) at Hillsborough, to the extent I moved ends of the north to be closer. His first touch and aerial work was ok (unless he gave away a foul, which he does a lot although often unfairly judged in my opinion), but we had a lot of the ball out wide and he was never on the move in the box. If the ball was not directly to him he was not getting it. No attacking the front/ back post. Always behind his marker.

Hes a far better player then he gets credit for on this place,99% of his critics couldnt do 1% of what he does when he pulls the shirt on,Ive never really understood the stick he gets,he plays to his strengths,uses his size,rarely gets decisions off refs beacuse of his size,hes pretty skillfull for a guy his size,FF and Hooper thrived because of the holes he made in oppos defences,hes just pulled them allover,they exploited those holes to their benefit.

Very unselfish and real grafter,the very defination of a TEAM PLAYER.

17 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

He doesn’t have the instinct or the movement of a striker: I recall making a specific effort to watch him in a cup replay (Macclesfield?) at Hillsborough, to the extent I moved ends of the north to be closer. His first touch and aerial work was ok (unless he gave away a foul, which he does a lot although often unfairly judged in my opinion), but we had a lot of the ball out wide and he was never on the move in the box. If the ball was not directly to him he was not getting it. No attacking the front/ back post. Always behind his marker.

To be fair, that was in his first season with us - almost 6 years ago now; I think he's come on appreciably since then. Actually the game at their place sticks in my memory better because he was well and truly abysmal in that game.

Still, I'm a fan of Nuhiu - or, at least, I can see his continued value as a member of the squad. There are still games when we are just crying out for him to come on and do his thing, and far more-so now than earlier in his time with us can he reliably come on and do it. If anything his true value to us has increased.

He's out of contract this summer along with Fletcher and Winnall. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he's the only one of the three still in our squad for next season.