Wednesday v blunts 1980 league cup

What are people’s memories of these games? I was at the Hillsborough game, but can recall very little about it, other than it being loud. I don’t recall the goals. I’ve been told by a blunt mate of mine that they didn’t bring as many fans as he thought, he said around 5,000 I wouldn’t have a clue if I’m honest. 

I didn’t go to the game at theirs.

What was the build up like to these games?

I was away for both games on my first lads foreign holiday........2 weeks in Magaluf !!!!. when it was still quite respectable and more of a family resort.

There were 7 of us , a mix of Wednesday and blunts and i remember us trying to ring home (wasn`t straightforward in those days) to get the result..............finally got through and had a lovely night taking the rise after hearing the result , particularly as this was hot on the heels of promotion and the BDM.

I remember one of the blunts ringing his brother after the first game and he came back round the pool with the news that Wednesday had won 2 -0 but " utd were the better side and outsung Wednesday all day"......................some things never change eh !  :biggrin:

I think the first game at our place kicked off early on a Saturday, I suppose because of the success of the BDM policing. Think the second leg was 1 1 at their place but I cant remember the scorers or anything about either match. As we didn't play them again til the 90's (apart from the ZDS) and hadn't played them for ages before BDM, it meant that for around 20 years of me following Wednesday, I'd never seen us lose to them which is probably what caused my feeling of superiority over them which I still have now even though the scrubbers are currently above us. 

The match at the Lane was my "first away match"

Sat on the South Stand with my mate and his Dad.

Remember 3 things quite vividly

1. Currans Goal, not quite as good as his previous one at Bramall Lane but decent none the less, and at the same end of the ground.

2. Although being sat in the South Stand joining in with the Wednesday fans singing and not being the only ones in there doing so.

3. Us two innocent 10 years olds, happily singing along to "Harry Hallam's Mucked it up again" 

I've no idea how old I was when I realised what everyone was actually singing. 

Edited by OWL1969

It was a two legged affair back then in the 2nd round , played at Hillsborough first leg on the Saturday and won 2-0 and on the following Tuesday at theirs it was a 1-1 draw , I was sat in the old John street stand , couldn't get a ticket for the away end but as previous people have said back then there was Wednesday fans all over the ground.

41 minutes ago, Animis said:

I was on holiday for the home game, and went on the John Street terrace with other owls fans for the return. I can't remember much about the game other than a dull 0-0.

You can't even remember the score, it was 1-1.

9 minutes ago, Animis said:

It wasn't - it was 0-0. The league game finished 1-1.

It's just before my time (I started going in the second half of that 80/81 season) but history says :

1L1 Sat  9 Aug  SHEFFIELD UNITED........ 2-0     23,989   Jeff Johnson, Kevin Taylor
 1L2 Tue 12 Aug  Sheffield United........ 1-1     25,588   Terry Curran
     Wednesday won 3-1 on aggregate  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

It's just before my time (I started going in the second half of that 80/81 season) but history says :

1L1 Sat  9 Aug  SHEFFIELD UNITED........ 2-0     23,989   Jeff Johnson, Kevin Taylor
 1L2 Tue 12 Aug  Sheffield United........ 1-1     25,588   Terry Curran
     Wednesday won 3-1 on aggregate  

I have no recollection of either goal - always thought it was 0-0.

Apologies to Owl1969

• Like 1

Also these games were played before the league season started as was the norm back then in the League cup 1st Round , they were certainly more interesting than playing a pre season friendly.