Monk’s first 5 games

He must be absolutely delighted.

P5. W3. D1. L1. GF8. GA3. Pts10 

2 points per game

3 aways and 2 homes

Fulham, Huddersfield and Boro will probably finish top half. Possibly Hull too. Only Wigan fairly certain to struggle.

Here's his first 5 games in charge of those charming people at Leeds:-

P5. W1. D1. L3. GF5. GA9. Pts4

He was struggling, but then he turned them into a highly efficient unit. (Although late season he couldn’t stop them throwing away an almost unassailable lead in the race for 6th - but then that’s Leeds for you)

Its a terrific start to his time here. He keeps telling us that he has only been able to instill the very basics into our side, and that this next two weeks gives him the opportunity to embed more of what he wants to see.

Im extremely optimistic for the rest of the season. We look a highly organised and competitive team. I hope we kick-on in the next batch of five games, Cardiff, Blackburn, Leeds, Swansea and Stoke.

• Like 2

I’m surprised about how well he’s started and more optimistic now about him being here. I’m sure we’ll get better than we have been and look forward to seeing how we fare against some of the bigger hitters in the division.  

I can’t see how anyone wouldn’t see Monkmans start as a successful one. As has been said even the matches we didn’t win we looked positive.

It really is a pity about the Hull game - we would be 2nd and that helps with the positivity of the players and fan base, which can help with results.

We really need to take advantage and get a win against Cardiff - but I’m sure Monkman realises that and is planning accordingly. 

It’s been a solid start 

And it’s in this next section of matches, between October international break and Christmas where we have struggled over the last couple of seasons. 1 win in 12 type records. And the fixtures aren’t any easier this time either, so it will be interesting how we get on. 

I posted this in the graph thread yesterday, but it's relevant to this thread also:

Yes we've had a couple of unconvincing games in the first 11 games, in a time of change, but compared to 12 months ago....

- We've gone to Middlesbrough and got something... Our self respect and pride back and left Middlesbrough as a team of jibbering wrecks, which was miles away from last seasons performances against them

- We're playing with Passion, Fight and a Plan. 

- The club is no longer divided. No more spectre of Mr Freeze

- Bruce and Bullen have made some quality additions to the squad among Iorfa, Borner, Kadeem and Luongo 

- We've now got a Manager who not only sounds like he knows what he's talking about, the team are actually playing in the way he's described they will. 

I can only see positives and can't see any reason why we can't continue to outstrip last year's graph.

Keep the Graphs coming. 

garymegson

It must be time for an additional Gary emoji?

17 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I posted this in the graph thread yesterday, but it's relevant to this thread also:

Yes we've had a couple of unconvincing games in the first 11 games, in a time of change, but compared to 12 months ago....

- We've gone to Middlesbrough and got something... Our self respect and pride back and left Middlesbrough as a team of jibbering wrecks, which was miles away from last seasons performances against them

- We're playing with Passion, Fight and a Plan. 

- The club is no longer divided. No more spectre of Mr Freeze

- Bruce and Bullen have made some quality additions to the squad among Iorfa, Borner, Kadeem and Luongo 

- We've now got a Manager who not only sounds like he knows what he's talking about, the team are actually playing in the way he's described they will. 

I can only see positives and can't see any reason why we can't continue to outstrip last year's graph.

Keep the Graphs coming. 

garymegson

It must be time for an additional Gary emoji?

There is only one Gary garymegson

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Boro will probably finish top half

The only top half Boro will finish in is the..... 

"Totally boring and mind numbing club ever" top half.

1 hour ago, Spookone said:

I can’t see how anyone wouldn’t see Monkmans start as a successful one. As has been said even the matches we didn’t win we looked positive.

It really is a pity about the Hull game - we would be 2nd and that helps with the positivity of the players and fan base, which can help with results.

We really need to take advantage and get a win against Cardiff - but I’m sure Monkman realises that and is planning accordingly. 

If we had won at Hull, we'd have been top on GD.  Apart from that you're spot on.

A good positive start but it’s not unusual to see the ‘new manager bounce’, look at Man U. and Solskaer. Every player upping his game to catch the new manager’s eye, only to become disenchanted when the same old faces get selected.

Keep it in perspective because we’ve been in a fortunate run of fixtures, most opponents from the bottom end of the table.

I know those games have often been our downfall but let’s hope we can keep it going when we meet some tougher opposition.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I’m surprised about how well he’s started and more optimistic now about him being here. I’m sure we’ll get better than we have been and look forward to seeing how we fare against some of the bigger hitters in the division.  

i'm looking forward to him getting players in to suit his requirements instead of someone else's castoffs. 

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Very similar return to Bullen’s first 5 games, and Bruce before him. Suggests we aren’t far off a top six squad, and with a couple of upgrades come January, who knows

different subject, but thought bullen might be interested in the dingle job, opening in management.

Its a OK start ,I'm not gonna start singing from the roof tops yet

Still not convinced with performances

Middlesbrough aside ,have we played a solid 90 minutes yet 

These players need to step up more 

80% effort won't get us where we wanna be 

Edited by WelshOwl74