Borner question

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 22:34, Mr Meadows said:

Tune is catchy, but makes us sound a bit stupid, needs changing to something like...

hes comes from Deutschland 

he hates utd

he plays for the wednesday 

How about

Er kommt aus Deutschland

Spielt fur Wednesday

Er ist der Kaiser.

On 11 October 2019 at 06:39, Wednesday_Jack said:

totally agree...why folk get upset or offended at football matches is beyond me. It’s a song!!!! That’s it...just a song.

its not real life, it’s not offensive, it’s not racist and it’s certainly not worth been offended by. It’s a bit of humour 

If its "beyond" you to understand why some folk find certain things offensive, why do you persist? And how can you then say "it's not offensive", if it's beyond you to comprehend what is and isn't offensive? Surely if, unintentionally, you've offended someone through your words you make a mental note not to repeat those words or phrases. Don't you?

There are many times, particularly around racist comments, where I think "how is that offensive?", but it is, to some people, so I don't use those words.

Despite relentless changes in society, there are still many (even in football crowds) that find swearing offensive, or at least are uncomfortable with it. And similarly with songs that relate to massive [lets see how the swear filter copes...] *****, or "boobies fanny and Wednesday". Whilst it might be difficult to eradicate long standing offensive songs, surely we can avoid creating new ones.

1 hour ago, Tamworthowl said:

If its "beyond" you to understand why some folk find certain things offensive, why do you persist? And how can you then say "it's not offensive", if it's beyond you to comprehend what is and isn't offensive? Surely if, unintentionally, you've offended someone through your words you make a mental note not to repeat those words or phrases. Don't you?

There are many times, particularly around racist comments, where I think "how is that offensive?", but it is, to some people, so I don't use those words.

Despite relentless changes in society, there are still many (even in football crowds) that find swearing offensive, or at least are uncomfortable with it. And similarly with songs that relate to massive [lets see how the swear filter copes...] *****, or "boobies fanny and Wednesday". Whilst it might be difficult to eradicate long standing offensive songs, surely we can avoid creating new ones.

sensitive souls...it’s like going into a pub and been offended by a bloke swearing. 

you know what to expect when you go to football as you do when you go in a pub...so rather been upset and offended by people “persisting” with this behaviour...don’t go!!! 

sadly the world has lost its sense of humour and ability to see the funny side of things...everything these days is racist, offensive or personal.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

sensitive souls...it’s like going into a pub and been offended by a bloke swearing. 

you know what to expect when you go to football as you do when you go in a pub...so rather been upset and offended by people “persisting” with this behaviour...don’t go!!! 

sadly the world has lost its sense of humour and ability to see the funny side of things...everything these days is racist, offensive or personal.  

Or maybe the world has lost its ability (or willingness) to emphasise with others and it's all becoming me me me. I'm having a good time and if you don't like what you see or overhear, tough. 

Perhaps women and kids and those of a different ethnicity or sexual orientation should, if they are of a sensitive nature, think twice before going to football. 

You know (or knew) what to expect at a Jim Davison* show, but society has moved on. Football fans should too.

* Just to clarify, Jim Davison was an excellent comedian. He gave people what they wanted at that time. He is often unfairly judged by today's standards for what he did years ago.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Or maybe the world has lost its ability (or willingness) to emphasise with others and it's all becoming me me me. I'm having a good time and if you don't like what you see or overhear, tough. 

Perhaps women and kids and those of a different ethnicity or sexual orientation should, if they are of a sensitive nature, think twice before going to football. 

You know (or knew) what to expect at a Jim Davison* show, but society has moved on. Football fans should too.

* Just to clarify, Jim Davison was an excellent comedian. He gave people what they wanted at that time. He is often unfairly judged by today's standards for what he did years ago.

Has culture/behaviour changed that much from the 70's and 80's when the pits and steel works where open? You would have to say not, you could even argue that things have improved dramatically ...but what has changed is that social media has given the majority of the population a voice and they now have the confidence to sit behind a computer or a phone and voice their opinion!! Pretty sad really.

The Julian Borner song is no more offensive than singing about Neil Warnock been illegitimate for instance or been derogatory towards other fans (mainly united and Leeds) and its no more cringey than singing about your love for 11 football players (of which they are all male)...its just that people choose to be offended because its almost fashionable and as i have stated above, they have the confidence now social media is a massive part of society.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Yes, perhaps those unable to emphasise with others should avoid going out in public instead. But seriously it's just a balance between tolerance and respect for others, simple (or should be!)

41 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Actually mate I'd rather you didn't go.

Stay in your 1970's pub and swear away till your little hearts content. I'm sure none of the people in there will find you offensive.

Do you holiday in Bulgaria by any chance?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Has culture/behaviour changed that much from the 70's and 80's when the pits and steel works where open? You would have to say not, you could even argue that things have improved dramatically ...but what has changed is that social media has given the majority of the population a voice and they now have the confidence to sit behind a computer or a phone and voice their opinion!! Pretty sad really.

The Julian Borner song is no more offensive than singing about Neil Warnock been illegitimate for instance or been derogatory towards other fans (mainly united and Leeds) and its no more cringey than singing about your love for 11 football players (of which they are all male)...its just that people choose to be offended because its almost fashionable and as i have stated above, they have the confidence now social media is a massive part of society.

Having said the above, I do agree there seems to be a tendency to overreact and make a problem out of a situation instead of going out your way to solve a problem, i.e. instead of this is poo not going to work, say this is a problem but we're going to try XYZ - I'm going a bit off topic from the discussion about people just being nasty though...

and err Borner!

Edited by jomaco

4 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Actually mate I'd rather you didn't go.

Stay in your 1970's pub and swear away till your little hearts content. I'm sure none of the people in there will find you offensive.

Do you holiday in Bulgaria by any chance?

hahaha...superb. Another little sensitive keyboard warrior.

Never been to Bulgaria and nor am i racist like you imply so please be extremely careful which way you take this!!  Do i agree with racism absolutely not and it has no place in society but do i get offended by the Julian Borner song, no because it's not racist of offensive...its a football song and that's all it is!! The over reaction on here to this song is sad and to be honest bordering pathetic.

Grip and needed springs to mind!!

10 minutes ago, jomaco said:

Yes, perhaps those unable to emphasise with others should avoid going out in public instead. But seriously it's just a balance between tolerance and respect for others, simple (or should be!)

The opening statement of your post works for both sides though doesn't it?? Or for some it works when it suits them (not aimed at you btw).

1 minute ago, owl-zat said:

I don't think the song is really offensive but I'm just not gonna sing about another mans c0ck.

fair comment and if you don't like it you don't join in...i never join in the wilder's daughter song either but i don't come on here and slate people who do or get upset when its sung as its only a football song.

On 07/10/2019 at 21:27, Jon Newsome said:

Apparently it's racist when sung about a black player.

But if you replaced massive wee wee tail (a black stereotype) with a German stereotype (Hitler whatever) - would you see the problem?

8 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

And most of the people "offended" are actually being "offended by proxy", just in case a genuine offendee who may or may not have been offended at said offensive remark may just be within earshot, and may just be considering how offended he/she will decide to be. :unsure:

• Thanks 1

My two cents

We've got a German player who's been in this country for 3 months. Probably never heard of Sheffield United until he moved here. The song for our apparently quite easy going and friendly player is about his tail and how he hates a team he probably hasn't heard of.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying any chant about a Sheffield Wednesday player that includes both Sheffield United and the player in question's tail isn't just a bit sad... it's outright tinpot.

And no, it doesn't offend me.