Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

 

1179165494_ScreenShot2019-10-05at20_14_33.png.9bde82565dfba24a9a8bfdd5e04b4384.png

 

 

That reminds me of playing as Classic Holland on ProEvo back in the day. A group of guys in orange shirts, with your furthest attacking player stood miles apart from everyone else on the wing. Then occasionally in the second half Rijkaard Pelupessy or Rudi Krol Liam Palmer can suddenly pop up in the centre forward position and score a screamer...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

 

That reminds me of playing as Classic Holland on ProEvo back in the day. A group of guys in orange shirts, with your furthest attacking player stood miles apart from everyone else on the wing. Then occasionally in the second half Rijkaard Pelupessy or Rudi Krol Liam Palmer can suddenly pop up in the centre forward position and score a screamer...

FIFA 20, get involved... 

 

I swap between 451, 442, 433, and 424 depending on the phase of the game (Thanks for that Carlos)

 

I never play a DCM, always a CF who can play the AMC in 433 or 451 or ST in a 442 or 424.

 

lol

 

Gary Monk has to work in the real world though..., but I think if we can sign Dries Mertens from Napoli in January, he might make the difference between the playoffs or Automatic playing as that interchangeable CF.

 

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve heard of a bloke called Joost van Attackin who could do the Rudi Kroll role/ rock n roll no bother. Could he do a job for us? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bonus point for ‘triumvirate’; one of those excellent yet incongruously esoteric words that, bizarrely, only ever seems to get used in football chat.

 

(See also: ‘onus’, ‘impetuous’, ‘imperious’)

 

(Bit of a Latin theme emerging?)

 

 

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

One thing that's been evident since Monk took the reigns is how much more secure we look in our defensive shape, positioning and organisation.

 

I notice that Tom Lees mentioned how much work they've been doing on this side of the game in today's programme, and as if to underline this fact, here are our average player positions from this afternoon's game:

 

1179165494_ScreenShot2019-10-05at20_14_33.png.9bde82565dfba24a9a8bfdd5e04b4384.png

 

Just look at that defensive shape: it's textbook stuff, with the triumvirate of Börner, Iorfa and Pelupessy providing a solid base on which the rest of the team can build, and allowing the likes of Bannan and Luongo to push further forward, create chances and get more shots away.

 

If we can get the attacking side of our game as finely-tuned as we've already managed the defensive side, then things could really be looking up.

 

Not only the defence, it appears to lay out as a 3-5-2, the fullbacks average on the centre line so a 50/50 with def/att and a midfield triumvirate with support from Fletch, the wingers again nearly a perfect 50/50 in the opponents half.

 

Sexy, sexy...

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of reading a few interviews with the Everton team that won the league in the 80s under Kendall.  They talked about triangles all over the pitch.  I suppose what they were getting at, is what coaches/pundits etc all trot out these days as "the overload", creating the 3 v 2 situations.  The central midfielders would put themselves in positions to create triangles with full back and centre half, full back and winger/wide midfielder, centre forward and winger/wide midfielder, etc etc to give the impression the other team was always getting outnumbered.  Real basic stuff, but how often has it been said that the basics executed perfectly will triumph over the more complicated stuff.  More importantly I suppose and something we've all mentioned on here is round peg, round hole...square peg, square hole.  In 87 they won it despite tons of injuries and obviously squads back then were much smaller.  All because they always played with balance.  They replaced like for like, not with the most talented player. 

 

When I see that positions map, I see triangles all over the park.  More importantly, he replaced Hutch with Joey, not Luongo.  Like for like.  The substitutions were like for like.  I get the impression that Monk, as Lees has apparently said, likes shape, likes order, likes discipline.  I hope it continues, we've had some odd line ups over the last few years. 

 

A word of caution for those who think FF will slot back in after his suspension.  I don't think Monk will trust him with a starting berth until he is satisfied he can fulfill one of the roles necessary to keep the teams shape and balance.  I've always said it, FF's weakness as well as his strength is his unpredictability in a given game situation.  Still, I look forward to his return.  FF in full flight is something to behold.  I even had an interesting pint discussing the merits of seeing us line up with a front three of Harris, Reach (or Murphy) and FF through the middle, just for the giggle (Holmowl...keep your powder dry fella). Another time perhaps, another few pints perhaps.

 

Monday morning waffle over.  Have a good international break.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/10/2019 at 20:29, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

 

1179165494_ScreenShot2019-10-05at20_14_33.png.9bde82565dfba24a9a8bfdd5e04b4384.png

 

 

Loving the new 2-1-2-2-1-2 formation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

 

Loving the new 2-1-2-2-1-2 formation. 

Exactly, 5 in defence, 5 in attack.  I know you're having a laugh, but you've hit the nail on the head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spike1867 said:

Reminds me of reading a few interviews with the Everton team that won the league in the 80s under Kendall.  They talked about triangles all over the pitch.  I suppose what they were getting at, is what coaches/pundits etc all trot out these days as "the overload", creating the 3 v 2 situations.  The central midfielders would put themselves in positions to create triangles with full back and centre half, full back and winger/wide midfielder, centre forward and winger/wide midfielder, etc etc to give the impression the other team was always getting outnumbered.  Real basic stuff, but how often has it been said that the basics executed perfectly will triumph over the more complicated stuff.  More importantly I suppose and something we've all mentioned on here is round peg, round hole...square peg, square hole.  In 87 they won it despite tons of injuries and obviously squads back then were much smaller.  All because they always played with balance.  They replaced like for like, not with the most talented player. 

 

When I see that positions map, I see triangles all over the park.  More importantly, he replaced Hutch with Joey, not Luongo.  Like for like.  The substitutions were like for like.  I get the impression that Monk, as Lees has apparently said, likes shape, likes order, likes discipline.  I hope it continues, we've had some odd line ups over the last few years. 

 

A word of caution for those who think FF will slot back in after his suspension.  I don't think Monk will trust him with a starting berth until he is satisfied he can fulfill one of the roles necessary to keep the teams shape and balance.  I've always said it, FF's weakness as well as his strength is his unpredictability in a given game situation.  Still, I look forward to his return.  FF in full flight is something to behold.  I even had an interesting pint discussing the merits of seeing us line up with a front three of Harris, Reach (or Murphy) and FF through the middle, just for the giggle (Holmowl...keep your powder dry fella). Another time perhaps, another few pints perhaps.

 

Monday morning waffle over.  Have a good international break.

 

 

 

Moi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...