Joey Pelupessy

On 07/10/2019 at 13:19, ZicoSterland2 said:

No we need better and as our transfer dealings have shown this season if you look there are decent players on free transfers available. What was good this year also was that it seemed most were in the bag early.(not announced but common knowledge) rather than last minute desperation.

Agreed - Pelupessy is OK, but if you're aiming for promotion you have to be ruthless. We'd be better letting Pelupessy go and giving his wages and place in the squad to someone we reckon could be an upgrade, Börner has shown just how well you can do from cheap European signings.

6 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Agreed - Pelupessy is OK, but if you're aiming for promotion you have to be ruthless. We'd be better letting Pelupessy go and giving his wages and place in the squad to someone we reckon could be an upgrade, Börner has shown just how well you can do from cheap European signings.

Pelupessy was a cheap European signing. There is no guarantee you are going to get a player like Borner is there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

where do you think joey could go and earn the sort of money he  would be on here  …..he'd attract low end dutch clubs or maybe league 1 clubs and I doubt any could match what he earns …….

8 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Joey has played 100 minutes in our first 11 games. There are 4 players ahead of him for our midfield three. 

As 5th choice players go he’s absolutely fine. Always works at least as hard as the other players. 

In a two he would be a weakness. In a three he’s fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Joey has played 100 minutes in our first 11 games. There are 4 players ahead of him for our midfield three. 

As 5th choice players go he’s absolutely fine. Always works at least as hard as the other players. 

Done ok against Everton. Wasn't that in a two.

11 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Pelupessy was a cheap European signing. There is no guarantee you are going to get a player like Borner is there. 

That's sort of my point though - with these European signings being as cheap as they are, you can afford to take a punt on someone else and hope they prove to be an upgrade.

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

where do you think joey could go and earn the sort of money he  would be on here  …..he'd attract low end dutch clubs or maybe league 1 clubs and I doubt any could match what he earns …….

Don't know, suspect he would go back to Holland (pretty sure he was captain at the Eredivisie side we signed him from), but assuming his contract is actually up at the end of the season then it doesn't really matter to us where he goes. If he's still under contract for another year then yes I suspect you're right, no one will match what he's earning here.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

This kind of comment/situation alarms me, and takes me back to the U23s minutes thread. 

Surely we shouldnt be having a senior pro as 5th choice CM. A senior pro who only 1 or 2 comments above, people are saying we would struggle to get rid of due to his likely wages, compared the the wages paid by clubs who may be interested in him.

If we really dont have a young lad in either the U18s or U23s that is capable of being a 5th choice CM then just close the academy down immediately.

No offence to Joey, but he isnt even 5th choice. He is probably 6th, as many manager would rather play Reach in CM, as well as Bannan, Luongo, Hutch, and Lees.

Edited by steelerian

5 hours ago, steelerian said:

This kind of comment/situation alarms me, and takes me back to the U23s minutes thread. 

Surely we shouldnt be having a senior pro as 5th choice CM. A senior pro who only 1 or 2 comments above, people are saying we would struggle to get rid of due to his likely wages, compared the the wages paid by clubs who may be interested in him.

If we really dont have a young lad in either the U18s or U23s that is capable of being a 5th choice CM then just close the academy down immediately.

No offence to Joey, but he isnt even 5th choice. He is probably 6th, as many manager would rather play Reach in CM, as well as Bannan, Luongo, Hutch, and Lees.

I think hes back up to hutch in the defensive role so he's worth his place in the squad....I'd be very worried if they put reach in that position ......

33 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I think hes back up to hutch in the defensive role so he's worth his place in the squad....I'd be very worried if they put reach in that position ......

Exactly. Rarely will we ever go with a midfield without either Hutchinson or Pelupessy in it.

6 hours ago, steelerian said:

He’s 2nd choice in midfield. We play with a holding midfielder so that will either be hutch or pelupessy. 

Since when did midfielders have to be labelled as either AM or DM? Why cant they just be good all round midfield players?

In the 90s was Cartlon Palmer a DM or AM? Danny Wilson? John Harkes?

Those players could all defend, but they all got on the scoresheet multiple times each and every season.

Calling someone a DM or an AM is just a cop out and giving them an excuse to be only half a player IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steelerian said:

Since when did midfielders have to be labelled as either AM or DM? Why cant they just be good all round midfield players?

Those players could all defend, but they all got on the scoresheet multiple times each and every season.

Calling someone a DM or an AM is just a cop out and giving them an excuse to be only half a player IMO.

Frank Lampard, Claude Makeleke and many others have had world class careers by playing as either an attacking CM or defensive one. 

Just how football is these days. Not many top teams play a 4-4-2 where you require box to box midfield types.

28 minutes ago, steelerian said:

All managers see it differently Atkinson didn't want a solely defensive midfielder our bloke seems to like one......I can think of many great players who were only good at one aspect of playing midfield .

10 hours ago, steelerian said:

I was about to state Lees has never played in midfield and slate this observation, but then I realised you meant Lee.

• Haha 1

On 14/10/2019 at 11:32, steelerian said:

No.

They would be better off playing on loan somewhere.

Waste of time chucking them in once in a blue moon, especially if they’re not yet ready