Corner 8

Palmer 6

Pelupessy 7

Luongo 7

Bannan 6

Reach 6

Harris 7

Fletcher 7

Pretty much agree with these, I would have given BB a 7 also. Too many 8's being bandied about for a mostly average performance; poor first half, second half better when we upped the pace.

Westwood 7

Odabaju 5

Iorfa 6

Borner 8.5 MOTM

Palmer 6.5

Pelupessy 7

Luongo  8.5

Bannan 7

Reach 8

Harris 8

Fletcher 6

It was touch and go for me, but Borner was efficient, thought about what he was doing, beat his man just about every time and read the game so well, similar in many ways to Luongo's game, but Borner went that extra step for my money in doing things to upset their front players, before they did them to him. A bit like a centre half version of Mitrovic, who totally tenderised the Charlton defenders on Saturday and left them looking like weak naive little boys just about every time they competed for the ball. I thought that Borner did that to the opposition against Wigan. Hopefully he can apply the same total command over better quality strikers in future and no longer let strikers like Hugill and Mitrovic mess him about, when we have another proper centre half alongside him like Tom Lees.

I thought Iorfa looked ok at times but not so good for the rest of the game. If we had two Borners at the back we would do well this season, but with two Iorfas we would be in big trouble. Likewise with Odabajo. As a defender he has absolutely zero idea of where he should be and what he should be doing. The number of times he chose to mark Iorfa, yet again, or go wandering over to the complete opposite side of the pitch, leaving two or three opposition players unmarked behind him was frightening. If Wigan had got a little bit more about them they would have punished us down that side. Hopefully Tom will come back soon and maybe Iorfa can go out to fullback position again, although I personally don't mind seeing Fox on the left and Palmer back on the right, as long as Palmer can put the same kind of performance level in as he has been out on the left.

Just a small aside, but I really cannot understand how any regular watcher of football could watch that game and decide to give Odubajo man of the match. Especially one more person than voted for Reach, who actually won the joint most tackles, and headers, provided link up play an assist, had shots on goal and did so much hard work down the right and in the middle with very little help from Odubajo (who has played most of his career as a winger). Reach and Pelupessy won the same number of tackles and yet again the dumb Reach hater near me keeps shouting at Reach for never making a tackle when the ball is going out of play! 

5 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Westwood 7

Odabaju 5

Iorfa 6

Borner 8.5 MOTM

Palmer 6.5

Pelupessy 7

Luongo  8.5

Bannan 7

Reach 8

Harris 8

Fletcher 6

It was touch and go for me, but Borner was efficient, thought about what he was doing, beat his man just about every time and read the game so well, similar in many ways to Luongo's game, but Borner went that extra step for my money in doing things to upset their front players, before they did them to him. A bit like a centre half version of Mitrovic, who totally tenderised the Charlton defenders on Saturday and left them looking like weak naive little boys just about every time they competed for the ball. I thought that Borner did that to the opposition against Wigan. Hopefully he can apply the same total command over better quality strikers in future and no longer let strikers like Hugill and Mitrovic mess him about, when we have another proper centre half alongside him like Tom Lees.

I thought Iorfa looked ok at times but not so good for the rest of the game. If we had two Borners at the back we would do well this season, but with two Iorfas we would be in big trouble. Likewise with Odabajo. As a defender he has absolutely zero idea of where he should be and what he should be doing. The number of times he chose to mark Iorfa, yet again, or go wandering over to the complete opposite side of the pitch, leaving two or three opposition players unmarked behind him was frightening. If Wigan had got a little bit more about them they would have punished us down that side. Hopefully Tom will come back soon and maybe Iorfa can go out to fullback position again, although I personally don't mind seeing Fox on the left and Palmer back on the right, as long as Palmer can put the same kind of performance level in as he has been out on the left.

Just a small aside, but I really cannot understand how any regular watcher of football could watch that game and decide to give Odubajo man of the match. Especially one more person than voted for Reach, who actually won the joint most tackles, and headers, provided link up play an assist, had shots on goal and did so much hard work down the right and in the middle with very little help from Odubajo (who has played most of his career as a winger). Reach and Pelupessy won the same number of tackles and yet again the dumb Reach hater near me keeps shouting at Reach for never making a tackle when the ball is going out of play! 

Since Monk has arrived, we've adopted man marking in the back four...at all times, not just set pieces.

Watch Hull's goal on Tuesday. Odubajo deliberately follows Grosicki's run in field, and Iorfa, has a lapse in concentration, but looks to mark Eaves who pulled off him.

Within the first 5 minutes on Saturday, a similar thing happened. Odubajo tracked the left wingers run infield, and Iorfa followed the centre forwards movement out to the right back position.

In the second half, Odubajo followed Pilkington all the way to the right back spot. 

These aren't errors, it's a defensive plan they are carrying out. It perhaps plays to Iorfa and Odubajo's attributes...both may lack that instinctive defensive positioning required when marking zonally, but both are quick enough to out run and physically challenge most attackers in this league. We crave managers to play to players strengths, and we often refer to attacking players...why not do it with defenders also? 

And you can see the advantages to it tactically, if you're playing against a front three. Three defenders man mark, one defender is spare. It is reliant on the holding midfielder to fill in and cover those gaps exposed however. No problem on Saturday with Pelupessy playing that role, and ourselves matching up 3v3 in midfield. But against Hull, Hutchinson was tasked with filling in from midfield, and it left Bannan out numbered...a reason why we struggled to dominate possession on Tuesday. 

Edited by frastheowl
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Since Monk has arrived, we've adopted man marking in the back four...at all times, not just set pieces.

Watch Hull's goal on Tuesday. Odubajo deliberately follows Grosicki's run in field, and Iorfa, has a lapse in concentration, but looks to mark Eaves who pulled off him.

Within the first 5 minutes on Saturday, a similar thing happened. Odubajo tracked the left wingers run infield, and Iorfa followed the centre forwards movement out to the right back position.

In the second half, Odubajo followed Pilkington all the way to the right back spot. 

These aren't errors, it's a defensive plan they are carrying out. It perhaps plays to Iorfa and Odubajo's attributes...both may lack that instinctive defensive positioning required when marking zonally, but both are quick enough to out run and physically challenge most attackers in this league. We crave managers to play to players strengths, and we often refer to attacking players...why not do it with defenders also? 

And you can see the advantages to it tactically, if you're playing against a front three. Three defenders man mark, one defender is spare. It is reliant on the holding midfielder to fill in and cover those gaps exposed however. No problem on Saturday with Pelupessy playing that role, and ourselves matching up 3v3 in midfield. But against Hull, Hutchinson was tasked with filling in from midfield, and it left Bannan out numbered...a reason why we struggled to dominate possession on Tuesday. 

If you are right, I hope their execution of the new defensive duties are being carried out wrongly, because both players getting dragged so far out of position left big holes on the right hand side of our defence, yet again which has already led to 4 goals against us with Iorfa and\or Odubajo involved, albeit 2 of them penalties (both conceded unecessarily by Odubajo). Maybe Reach, Huchinson and Luongo should be used to show them both how to watch the ball while making a tackle instead of trying to wrestle players off the ball?

• Haha 1

On 07/10/2019 at 22:58, Ante's Bubbly said:

If you are right, I hope their execution of the new defensive duties are being carried out wrongly, because both players getting dragged so far out of position left big holes on the right hand side of our defence, yet again which has already led to 4 goals against us with Iorfa and\or Odubajo involved, albeit 2 of them penalties (both conceded unecessarily by Odubajo). Maybe Reach, Huchinson and Luongo should be used to show them both how to watch the ball while making a tackle instead of trying to wrestle players off the ball?

I read on one of the local SWFC news websites today that 8 out of the 9 goals against us have come from our right side, which is just a little bit worrying.

As I have said several times after bad defensive displays on the right side of our defence, we could play:-

• Three at the back when Tom Lees is fit with Hutch as the third centre half, on the right hand side. This leaves us with attacking full back options.
  • Play Palmer in his natural right back position, in the back four, with Fox as a natural left back.
  • Play Iorfa at right back with Hutch or Bates at right sided centre half until Tom Lees is fit again.

A couple of those options leaves Odubajo available to play a winger role on the right, or an attacking wing-back if we play with 3 at the back. Either way this utilises his dribbling skills where they are best used, further up the pitch away from our goal and near to theirs, while also limiting his poor tackling and giving away of free kicks, to positions further away from our goal. Win win for us and for Moses, whose strong points are not being utilised while his weak points are currently being stretched to the limit.

• Like 1