Lord Snooty

Man of the match & scores -Wigan (H)

Man of match   

439 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Börner for the effortlessly cool way he steps in front of attackers to take the ball off them.

It is difficult to see how that actually happens.

They appear to just let him stroll in front of ‘em and take the ball while  others have to scrap and battle for it.

It’s very bizarre 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

They appear to just let him stroll in front of ‘em and take the ball while  others have to scrap and battle for it.

It’s very bizarre 

Loovens had a similar knack.

As someone who only ever played centre back very, very badly, I'm certainly no expert, but I assume it's got something to do with timing?

24 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

As someone who only ever played centre back very, very badly, I'm certainly no expert, but I assume it's got something to do with timing?

Yes, and strength. He doesn't do it all the time, just when it's right

Others struggle because they choose the wrong moments

I'm convinced his lower body is made of concrete

Edited by McRightSide
  • Haha 1

Just now, McRightSide said:

Yes, and strength

That's a good point - he does seem to just lever people off the ball without ever looking off balance.

Today, from the first whistle, Pelupessy was up their midfield like a rat - 1 misplaced pass all game? My MOM.

Bannan and Luongo looked like they could be a real threat, Battled hard, accurate cross field balls and were hanging around the edge of the box in attack. Luongo broke up play more than Bazza. 

Borner was great second half, Iorfa good throughout. Odabajo got better as the game went on. Palmer, standard performance we see week in week out.

Reach worked his ass off all game. He didn’t win everything but by God did he bust his balls to recover it. As long as I see him putting 100% effort in, that’s fine with me. 

I thought Fletch was not as effective/impactful as previous games but nonetheless a 7.

Murphy was a waste of a sub. With fresh legs, I expected him to get round their left back, but did not make one attempt to do so. 

Harris was as Harris has been thus far. Ran their right back ragged, throughout. Final ball could have made such a difference to the final score.

Not once did I feel comfortable with us attaining and maintaining a lead, but we worked hard and got our just desserts in the end. 

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Owly Mowly said:

Borner was immense - particularly in the last 15 mins - he won absolutely everything. He plays like his life depends on it 

Nail on the head there. It's his attitude above all else that could make him a huge asset to our club.

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

It’s very bizarre 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

42 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Yes, and strength. He doesn't do it all the time, just when it's right

Others struggle because they choose the wrong moments

39 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's a good point - he does seem to just lever people off the ball without ever looking off balance.

I think it’s something to do with his centre of gravity too; broad stance and solid foundation. He’s brilliantly balanced, about half as wide as he is tall. Impossible to push over, he’s like a Weeble.

Gone with Börner too - I just love the way he seems to do everything with absolutely minimal fuss. He’s like a defending machine, in the most literal sense: pure German efficiency. He just does what needs doing, in the most direct way, going as the crow flies to where he’s needed, wasting the least possible energy in getting the job done. He’s like a cyborg, it’s mad.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK!

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Agree 2

I don’t think it was a great performance but not easy when Wigan blatantly came for a point.

Westwood 8 outstanding save

Odubajo 6

Iorfa 8 won everything 

Borner 8

Palmer 6

Pelupessy 7 actually decent for a change 

Luongo 8 extra point for goal 

Bannan 8

Reach 6

Harris 7

Fletcher 6

Lee 6

Murphy 5

Nuhiu N/A

Edited by Kagoshimaowl
  • Agree 1

Börner, Iorfa and Bannan a class of their own, but the whole team playing with determination in 2nd half and grinding out that win. Well done!

Westwood 8

Palmer 7

Moses 6

Iorfa 7

Borner 8 MOM

Reach 7

Luongo 6

Joey 7

Bannan 8

Harris 7

Fletch 7

Lee. 6

Murphy 4

Nuhiu 6

50 minutes ago, EssexOwl said:

Today, from the first whistle, Pelupessy was up their midfield like a rat - 1 misplaced pass all game? My MOM.

Bannan and Luongo looked like they could be a real threat, Battled hard, accurate cross field balls and were hanging around the edge of the box in attack. Luongo broke up play more than Bazza. 

Borner was great second half, Iorfa good throughout. Odabajo got better as the game went on. Palmer, standard performance we see week in week out.

Reach worked his ass off all game. He didn’t win everything but by God did he bust his balls to recover it. As long as I see him putting 100% effort in, that’s fine with me. 

I thought Fletch was not as effective/impactful as previous games but nonetheless a 7.

Murphy was a waste of a sub. With fresh legs, I expected him to get round their left back, but did not make one attempt to do so. 

Harris was as Harris has been thus far. Ran their right back ragged, throughout. Final ball could have made such a difference to the final score.

Not once did I feel comfortable with us attaining and maintaining a lead, but we worked hard and got our just desserts in the end. 

Agree with this review although I have Borner as MoM.

Like the look of Luongo he has a bit of everything that you need in midfield, tackle, move it quickly, supports the attack and keeps it simple.  Early days but reminds me of Danny Wilson.

Thought Mulgrew was good for Wigan and can see why we tried to sign him a few years ago.

Praise for Bannan for keeping going till the end despite there being very little space anywhere on the pitch.

But how can it not be Borner.  Don't think he lost one challenge he was involved with.  Makes defending look like fun.  I was fawning all over him by the end.

Westwood 7 not much to do but superb game winning save 

moses 7 thought he did well 

palmer 7 steady needs to work on his left peg 

iorfa 8 won everything in the air tackled well looking a good CB

borner 8 how has he not played at a higher level super player

joey 8 excellent game MOM

loungo 7 decent game good goal 

bannan 8 played further forward some good passes nearly scored twice 

Harris 7 a constant threat keeps going 

reach. 7 good first half faded second half but provided assist

fletcher 8 great example of how to lead the line perfectly good goal chalked off 

lee 6 some nice touches 

nuhui 6 did what we needed him to do 

murphy 5 offered very little 

deserved win but made hard work of it not helped by incompetent officials 

• Agree 2

Westwood 7

Odubajo 5

Iorfa 7

Corner 8

Palmer 6

Pelupessy 7

Luongo 7

Bannan 6

Reach 6

Harris 7

Fletcher 7

Heavy going watching that today,Wigan just have zero appetite for attack,proper park the bus and nick a point,no wonder their away following fits in a a couple of mini buses and cortina estate!

I dont like moaning about officials but we had yet another tail today,who on earth lets a player handle the ball in play and punish it by reversing an obvious throw in the the visitng side be giving the throw the wrong way? Thought Id seen it all,but thats a new one,and there no 10 chucks Odubajo to the deck and no yellow? really.

I went for Borner,another solid show,just from Bannan and Fletcher.

Thought Reach proper grafted without much reward,set up the goal,Harris looked much better today,dont recall any poor displays,it was a bit of a grind,kind of game weve often lost in recent seasons so happy to the points from that

• Like 1

Borner is a class act and gets my MOTM.

However, special mention to Pelupessy who was a surprise start. I thought he had a very good game, moving the ball quick and kept it simple. Allowed Bannan to move further forward.

• Like 1

Westwood  8 what a save !

Odabaju 7

Iorfa 8

Borner 8

palmer 8

Pelupessy 6

Luongo  7

bannan 8

Reach 6

Harris 7

Fletcher 8 MOM just close call

Westwood - 8 - Two key saves, one from Massey in the 1st half, and the 2nd from Moore's header in front of the Kop. The kind of performance we've not seen for a long time. 

Odubajo - 7 - Got caught out in possession a couple of times in the 1st half, but defensively, I thought he was very good. Made a couple of key last ditch tackles and interceptions. Looking better and better at the minute. 

Iorfa - 8 - Another solid defensive display. Lees isn't getting back into this side anytime soon.

Borner - 8 - Man of the Match - He's just a class act. Very intelligent footballer...Garner beat him to a header earlier on when he came off the right flank...just Borner sussed it out, and I can't remember Garner winning much more after that. Initiated the move for the goal, and his continued movement forward, caused issues in Wigan's defence when the ball came into the box. 

Palmer - 7 - Solid and reliable defensively. Wasteful and ponderous when going forward. He really needs to improve his attacking output.

Pelupessy - 8 - I'm not his biggest fan at all, and I question his selection yesterday (even after the game)...but credit where credits due...he had a fine game. Protected the back four, and tenacious in the tackle and kept things simple. Performed that role better than Hutchinson has in recent games. 

Bannan - 7 - Much prefer to see him playing higher up, seems to find the ball in much more dangerous areas. Linked up well with Harris early on, and unfortunate with a couple of efforts which clipped the post. That said, if he's playing that advanced, he needs to provide more support for Fletcher. Too often yesterday, the midfield and Fletcher were poles apart. 

Luongo - 6 - Took his goal really well, but on the whole, disappointing performance. Looked rushed on the ball, lacked composure at times, and like Bannan, never got close enough to Fletcher. In a 4-3-3, one of the those midfielders has to break lines and provide support. Neither did. 

Harris - 7 - In the 1st half in particular, we suffered the same fate we have to too many games this season...give it Harris and hope he creates something. He's our only consistent, genuine threat. He did well, stood a great ball up for Fletcher who should've scored. Key part in the goal as well. 

Fletcher - 6 - Worked hard and toiled away. He'll be disappointed with the chance in front of the 1st half, and arguably should've had a goal in the 2nd half, which was ruled out for offside. However, he was far too isolated at times. Neither winger got close enough to him, and like I've said, the midfield pairing in front of Pelupessy didn't get forward enough either. 

Reach - 6 - His assist gets him an additional mark, but it was another poor display. He just looks bereft of confidence. Seems to be second guessing himself, not playing on instinct. Murphy isn't particularly pressing him hard for a starting spot...maybe Forestieri's return will spark him into life. 

Lee - 6 - If we're to play 4-3-3, Lee has to play. He'll get forward, break lines, get in the box. He has the attributes that are required. Had nearly as many touches in the 18 yard in the 10 minutes he was on the pitch, than either Luongo or Bannan did over the entire game. 

Murphy - 5 - He was great when he came on at Hull, but I'm not sure what was up with him yesterday. Looked lazy, half-paced. Several poor touches. 

Nuhiu - N/A  -  

Overall...

At this stage, in Monk's early part of his tenure, it's the results that matter. But that was a hard watch yesterday. Wigan made it difficult, but I just felt our set-up played into their hands somewhat. A midfielder trio, all of whom are more naturally defensive in nature, was never going to be conducive to controlling a game and creating chances. Offensively, we looked one-dimensional and turgid yet again, and a xG of less than 0.5 for the 90 minutes, at home to a side with such a poor away record, is poor. There's no dressing it up. 

However, we managed to get over the line with a victory, and on the whole, our defence looked organised and resilient once again. I said it after the Hull game, and I maintain it...but that back four is looking very impressive at the minute. 

But, in a 4-3-3, especially at home, we have to offer more support to Fletcher. Either the one of the wide men (it has to be Reach, playing on the right flank) or the central midfielders, have to be more ambitious and positive, and get close to the lone man. At times, Fletcher was been asked to win a 50/50 aerial ball against Dunkley, and then get on the end of the flick on himself. A thankless task, which is neither going to get the best out of Fletcher or our performance as a whole. 

Between Luongo and Bannan, in a combined total of 165 minutes, they touched the ball inside the opponents 18 yard box, a total of 3 times. That's not enough when playing a 4-3-3 with one sitting midfielder. 

Edited by frastheowl
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1