Worst offside decision I've ever seen

Having missed the Wigan match, I do NOT wish to join in the argument. 

I would like to make several general comments, however.

There are MANY who do not understand the off-side rule. Understandable, given the changes which are constantly being made annually..

What also needs remembering is that the linesman is, or should be, - a) on the move, b) he does not have the same view as people in the stands, c) he must make up his mind instantly, d) he does not have the value of stopping and constantly replaying.

i well remember once being on a course with the then NCB  and one of or guest Speakers was a then ell-known , well-respected Referees, who surprised us with his opening statement/claim. He said he was , to his knowledge , to have been one of the only referees to have disallowed a goal because of an ice-cream seller being offside.

It happened when Jimmie Hill was at Coventry and had all the stands, stewards etc painted light blue. He said he caught the flash of colour in his eyes and waved play on.It turned out that one of the stewards or such, was the flash he'd caught,. When asked, he said that he'd realised his mistake later, but held to his decision, but told J Hill it was his own fault for having stewards dressed like the players.

It shows that officials are not infallible , but are not always wrong. 

On 06/10/2019 at 13:27, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Worst decision I ever saw was one that went our way. Don't recall the game but Steve McKenzie netted at the Kop end he must have been 5 yards off side.

Weird one this because he did look miles off. When the ball reaches him he is just stood waiting for it miles offside.

But he was actually clearly onside.

C0DD4ACF-CB25-4A6D-AD06-3E9ED88399C1.png

Amazing that people are looking at the picture and conclude Fletcher is offside

Both the keeper and the defender nearest to him are goal side and therefore he is on

Are some of you blind or don't under the offside law?

46 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Weird one this because he did look miles off. When the ball reaches him he is just stood waiting for it miles offside.

But he was actually clearly onside.

C0DD4ACF-CB25-4A6D-AD06-3E9ED88399C1.png

It must have been the acres of space he was in.....When Nev first posted the incident...I recalled it immediately, knew the game, cos I used to meet a mate in the Outpost pub in barnsley at the time..big tykes fan..He was fuming...Ithought it hilarious...wish I'd f.ookin' known then lol 

When the first shot was made he was in an offside position but inactive. When the ball came back to him its classed as gaining an advantage from being in an offside position. It's his position when the first shot is made and not when the keeper saves it. He was just offside for the 1st shot.

On 06/10/2019 at 10:05, A E Neuman NYowl said:

That decision shows that some refs have preconceived ideas about certain players before a ball is kicked.

Beradi has a reputation for being dirty, the ref couldn't wait to send him off to show who is charge.

Sadly some refs do the same with FF, although he is not dirty some refs never give him a thing and the opposition are allowed to constantly foul him.

This is true 

The most obvious one was the FF decision at Hull, when the incompetent Tim Robinson sent him off.

It was so wrong it had to be prejudged . 

Jeff Stelling was very irate about it and said exactly the same.

The same Tim Robinson who is now doing VAR and 4th official duties in the Premier League so probably destined for great things.

1 hour ago, Ash76 said:

Amazing that people are looking at the picture and conclude Fletcher is offside

Both the keeper and the defender nearest to him are goal side and therefore he is on

Are some of you blind or don't under the offside law?

With the camera angle you can't 100% tell the moment that Reach hits it - but that is the pivotal moment.

So it is not categoric either way. Ironic the best angle would probably be the goal line technology camera but not sure this would show when Reach hits it.

But its certainly not the worst offside decision ever 

24 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

When the first shot was made he was in an offside position but inactive. When the ball came back to him its classed as gaining an advantage from being in an offside position. It's his position when the first shot is made and not when the keeper saves it. He was just offside for the 1st shot.

2 days later and we still are undecided , the linesman guessed , the benefit of the doubt should have gone to the attacking team cause it clearly wasn't obviously offside. this time a very iffy decision aint cost us. we need to start demoting linesman and refs ,some are just incompetent . ive seen some shockers this season and not just for us for opposition too. 

1 minute ago, handworth52 said:

2 days later and we still are undecided , the linesman guessed , the benefit of the doubt should have gone to the attacking team cause it clearly wasn't obviously offside. this time a very iffy decision aint cost us. we need to start demoting linesman and refs ,some are just incompetent . ive seen some shockers this season and not just for us for opposition too. 

As a ref I can say he's stood offside when the 1st shot came in. That's offside...the assistant is standing side on and has a clear view.

31 minutes ago, mkowl said:

With the camera angle you can't 100% tell the moment that Reach hits it - but that is the pivotal moment.

So it is not categoric either way. Ironic the best angle would probably be the goal line technology camera but not sure this would show when Reach hits it.

But its certainly not the worst offside decision ever 

Left foot of the defender says he was on but agree not the worst decision ever

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 17.38.13.png

None of these camera angles are any use at all in making the judgement the Lino made!. They are all higher and either behind the ball, or in front of the ball. The Linesman should be in line withg, and at the same height roughly as the players. This is the only angle that the offside decision can be made from.

On 06/10/2019 at 03:06, McRightSide said:

Was raging at first but on the replay it looks like he might just be off when the ball comes back towards the goal.

Very tight though

He's level, I've watched it a million times (or thereabouts). 

I reckon we'd have at least 3 more points this season if VAR was used. (clear penos)