Monks Musings - Wigan

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Im far from convinced by Winnal, but against Town and Hull I thought he found brilliant space and created plenty for others. Plus, he’s got on the end of crosses to score one and narrowly miss two.

Best he’s played for us. 

He does make good runs I will give him that but he must finish his chances when he gets them because they are not half chances they are clear cut ones. 

He does lose possession far to often for me though. I feel him and Rhodes try to do what Fletcher and Nuhiu do in trying to link up the play. But they are just not very good at it.

1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

I do have some symapathy with Jordan Rhodes.

In league matches he has not had a start and has hardly had any minutes.

If only someone could get him scoring again it would ease this huge problem that the club has of his contract and wages.

If the last managers (including Farke) haven’t given him starts or many minutes on the pitch you have to ask why.

Training, attitude and fitness all have to be right, and something clearly isn’t right with the guy.

The form he had a few years ago shouldn’t just disappear at his age.

21 minutes ago, Blatter said:

If the last managers (including Farke) haven’t given him starts or many minutes on the pitch you have to ask why.

Training, attitude and fitness all have to be right, and something clearly isn’t right with the guy.

The form he had a few years ago shouldn’t just disappear at his age.

One was Jos. Do you think Jos was a shrewd team selector?

At Norwich he was behind Pukki. Who would you pick?

Even if he’s nothing but a occasional starter and a fairly regular 15 minute sub, we really want him to score goals.

14 minutes ago, Sticky belly said:

Agree. One might say "the beady eyed spiv" has the gift of the gab...

:duntmatter:

The wife says of him ..

Hes like a kid in our class at school who used to get regular tellings off (hairdryer) and uncontrollably laughs at the teacher even though he knows hes gonna get the stick for doing so ......

I was in the same class as the wife WTF:

Bit rich coming from her though ..

She's driving around in her fancy new Audi 

thanks to our new manager ...

And William Hill n Ladbrokes n Paddy Power n Bet Fred n 365 .....lol

• Haha 5

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Im far from convinced by Winnal, but against Town and Hull I thought he found brilliant space and created plenty for others. Plus, he’s got on the end of crosses to score one and narrowly miss two.

Best he’s played for us. 

I think you're going a bit over the top with your praise. He might have found space a couple of times but "brilliant"?! And Not sure he's created "plenty". To me he looks slow and his first, second and third touches are not there. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

One was Jos. Do you think Jos was a shrewd team selector?

At Norwich he was behind Pukki. Who would you pick?

Even if he’s nothing but a occasional starter and a fairly regular 15 minute sub, we really want him to score goals.

Hey, I’d love him to be scoring when he gets his chance and yes Pukki would always get the nod ahead of Rhodes.

BUT and it’s a big but if you look at the (amended) stats posted by Neuman earlier Rhodes is currently the least effective of our strikers and even some way behind Iorfa in terms of goals/minute played.

With his clinical scoring ability four years ago I’m unable to figure out why at his age he is no longer performing at anywhere near that level.

I’d blanked Jos from my memory by the way and was thinking Carlos, Bruce and Monk.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Hey, I’d love him to be scoring when he gets his chance and yes Pukki would always get the nod ahead of Rhodes.

BUT and it’s a big but if you look at the (amended) stats posted by Neuman earlier Rhodes is currently the least effective of our strikers and even some way behind Iorfa in terms of goals/minute played.

With his clinical scoring ability four years ago I’m unable to figure out why at his age he is no longer performing at anywhere near that level.

I’d blanked Jos from my memory by the way and was thinking Carlos, Bruce and Monk.

By “clinical” I suppose you mean goals. It wasn’t 4 years ago, it was last season. Scored at his best rate ever in his Championship career.

• Haha 1

He says Wigan are one of the best in the league at set pieces. 

We haven't got the best record at defending them.

One thing we have got to prevent tomorrow is giving silly fouls away anywhere near our box. 

I know we seem to get unfairly penalised by poor referees but we do appear to give a lot away and need to get a bit more smart with it so we don't give poor refs the opportunity to penalise us.

Edited by Vic Flange

58 minutes ago, Vic Flange said:

He says Wigan are one of the best in the league at set pieces. 

We haven't got the best record at defending them.

One thing we have got to prevent tomorrow is giving silly fouls away anywhere near our box. 

I know we seem to get unfairly penalised by poor referees but we do appear to give a lot away and need to get a bit more smart with it so we don't give poor refs the opportunity to penalise us.

That's got to make a ladys eyes water you know ?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

The wife says of him ..

Hes like a kid in our class at school who used to get regular tellings off (hairdryer) and uncontrollably laughs at the teacher even though he knows hes gonna get the stick for doing so ......

I was in the same class as the wife WTF:

Bit rich coming from her though ..

She's driving around in her fancy new Audi 

thanks to our new manager ...

And William Hill n Ladbrokes n Paddy Power n Bet Fred n 365 .....lol

Don't forget the holiday as well..

On a side note was she in Sheffield today?

Thought I saw her driving out of Greno woods..

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Kieran back to his rightful replace at right -back would improve defence and attack.

Oooh let's just have a side of right backs..... 

How many do we need??? 

Lee is still getting match fit and Sharpe, come Christmas he'll be everywhere on the pitch and bursting into the box onto the end of things, just wait n see. 

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

By “clinical” I suppose you mean goals. It wasn’t 4 years ago, it was last season. Scored at his best rate ever in his Championship career.

Oh yeah. I forgot his prolific era was in league 1 

15 hours ago, FinnishOwl said:

I really like it how he says that he won't stop the individual coaching until the player gets it. So there's no way for them to avoid him until they can show that they really see how he wants them to perform.

Players are drilled and drilled until they do what the manager wants them to do.....and then you get the fans on here say x plays too deep ,y should cut in more ,z doesn't get box to box .its as though they think the players just play as they want .

On 04/10/2019 at 10:55, shezzas left peg said:

Was a bit dubious about him as I've said before, but the more you hear him talk the more he begins to make you realise how good he could be for us. 

Its results on the pitch that ultimately count.

The talk is nice to hear but means nothing unless it’s backed up with points.