Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Before anyone jumps on the Nuhiu bandwagon I’ll start by saying this is about Joao’s stats.....but could also apply to all the others because while interesting they are far too narrow 

 

for instance

 

Have you factored in when those minutes were and the state of the game at that time....for example, Joao coming on as a sub for 15 minutes at 0-1 when we are hell bent on all out attack is more likely to get him a goal or assist than if Nuhiu is coming on for the same minutes at 2-0 up with no intention of scoring again 

 

Were those minutes away to top of the league or at home to relegation fodder

 

how many of those minutes were under ultra negative managers.....managers hell bent on not using the best players

 

How many of the assists were sitters for the player who hits the bar and someone else taps in the rebound

 

etc

Edited by Ian
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tarn owl said:

Mr Hooper, you were the best strike partner for our main lad Fletcher. Can i start the negotiations now. No executive box this time, but i will give you all the seats in the uncovered bit between the north and leppings lane end (good luck getting to your seat via SAG bods). £250 a week and a membership to any golf course you want in the Sheffield area. Contract is until 12th Jan (after Leeds away). If we have no money we may keep you, if we find a younger and fitter model then we will probably break up.:ph34r: Give us your response to the managers email themonkster@swfc.org.owl.com.

mr. hooper, you've gone, or are clubs kicking your house door in offering you terms?

joao is a big loss, all those goals he's getting for reading could have been ours, oops!

not good enough for the reading side?

it's been that long since we had a decent side with proper forwards some of our fans can't remember any, and just to think when dc came here all stuart gray needed were quality forwards, now a fortune on the side nigh on needs a total refit, AND 'quality forwards', money well spent, or is it well the monies spent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

mr. hooper, you've gone, or are clubs kicking your house door in offering you terms?

joao is a big loss, all those goals he's getting for reading could have been ours, oops!

not good enough for the reading side?

it's been that long since we had a decent side with proper forwards some of our fans can't remember any, and just to think when dc came here all stuart gray needed were quality forwards, now a fortune on the side nigh on needs a total refit, AND 'quality forwards', money well spent, or is it well the monies spent?

There’s no doubt that we’ve wasted money all over the pitch, but yes, in recent times, the forwards we e recruited have been poor. The first batch, Joao, Forestieri, Nuhiu and Hooper, were all better value then the subsequent purchases, although Fletcher is now going some way to justifying his sky high wages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

If anyone else's has already produced these stats apologies and please pull this topic.

 

We all have differing opinions on who should play up front for us, some of the comments on here have been

 

" We should re-sign Hooper"

" We should never have sold Joao"

" Nuhiu can't get a shot on target in 3 games"

"Rhodes is shot"

" Give Rhodes 5 games and he will start to score"

" Give Winnall 5 games and he will start to score "

 

Like many I have been frustrated And critical of our strikers this season so I thought I would get some stats to see if it backs up any of these theories.

To get a large volume of minutes played  and to try to even out players peaks and troughs I have gone back to the start of the 2016-2017 season, the season Winnall and Rhodes joined us.

The minutes played are for league games only played for us, and also these players have played the majority of games with the same managers and team mates.

I have included Hooper and Joao for reference and comparison.

 

Stats

 Player.                Mins Played.         Goals.           Assists

Fletcher.              6571.                      29.                6.                Goal every 226 mins.       Assist every 1095 mins

FF.                       4825.                      23                  6.               Goal every 219 mins.       Assist every 804 mins

Joao.                   3984.                      20.                 6.               Goal every 199 mins.       Assist every 664 mins

Hooper.               3737.                      17.                  7.               Goal every 219 mins.       Assist every 533 mins

Nuhiu.                 3585.                       16.                 8.                Goal every 224 mins.       Assist every 448 mins

Winnall.               1318.                        5.                  1.                Goal every 263 mins.       Assist every 1318 mins

Rhodes.              3027.                        4.                   2.                Goal every 756 mins.      Assist every 1513 mins

 

 

 

Mods

 

Can one of you edit this or close this thread

 

I got Jordan Rhodes stats wrong

 

He scored 8 goals and 2 assists 1 goal per 378 mins 

 

Thanks and apologies.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ian said:

Before anyone jumps on the Nuhiu bandwagon I’ll start by saying this is about Joao’s stats.....but could also apply to all the others because while interesting they are far too narrow 

 

for instance

 

Have you factored in when those minutes were and the state of the game at that time....for example, Joao coming on as a sub for 15 minutes at 0-1 when we are hell bent on all out attack is more likely to get him a goal or assist than if Nuhiu is coming on for the same minutes at 2-0 up with no intention of scoring again 

 

Were those minutes away to top of the league or at home to relegation fodder

 

how many of those minutes were under ultra negative managers.....managers hell bent on not using the best players

 

How many of the assists were sitters for the player who hits the bar and someone else taps in the rebound

 

etc

 

All good points, and only scratching the surface of why this slavish adherence to such a narrow aspect of the game can be such a fool's errand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Mods

 

Can one of you edit this or close this thread

 

I got Jordan Rhodes stats wrong

 

He scored 8 goals and 2 assists 1 goal per 378 mins 

 

Thanks and apologies.

 

 

 

I actually amended them in one of my replies. What a guy.  :biggrin:

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Holmowl said:

 

He averaged a goal every 190 minutes in the Championship - everywhere except with us.

 

In his season at Norwich it was a goal every 160 minutes.

 

With that in mind we should be looking at playing to his strengths then. What did Carlos/Jos/Bullen and now Monk see that  negates this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, clud17 said:

 

With that in mind we should be looking at playing to his strengths then. What did Carlos/Jos/Bullen and now Monk see that  negates this?

Easy, the same as we see, a player now ill suited to championship football

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Easy, the same as we see, a player now ill suited to championship football

 

And yet he scored a goal every 160 minutes for Norwich in the championship last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, clud17 said:

 

And yet he scored a goal every 160 minutes for Norwich in the championship last season. 

Shows we shouldn’t take any notice of stats alone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Shows we shouldn’t take any notice of stats alone

 

maybe but when you look at Winnall's record at Scunthorpe, Barnsley and even Derby it suggests that we have players that are proven scorers but play a style that doesnt suit them. It goes back to recruitment i guess and buying players that work for our system .

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, clud17 said:

 

maybe but when you look at Winnall's record at Scunthorpe, Barnsley and even Derby it suggests that we have players that are proven scorers but play a style that doesnt suit them. It goes back to recruitment i guess and buying players that work for our system .

Well that is right about the recruitment. However, I’ve not played, or coached the game professionally, but one game would have told me Winnall and Rhodes wouldn’t be a good fit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clud17 said:

 

And yet he scored a goal every 160 minutes for Norwich in the championship last season. 

 

He didn't. It was a little over 170 minutes "in the Championship last season".

 

But you're talking about 6 of the 93 league goals Norwich scored (over 50% more than we managed). Hardly a volume large enough to make any wide-ranging conclusions, especially against the meagre backdrop of the three previous years. I remember Andy Pearce scoring in three consecutive games for us once. Did that mean he had become Alan Shearer for a fortnight? Norwich had one midfielder who outdid Rhodes in that regard and at least three others who compared very favourably given their respective positions. He impressed them so much they weren't even prepared to offer a quid for the rights to his contract.

 

When Rhodes scores, it proves how great he is. When he doesn't almost everything else in the universe may be blamed. It's a hopelessly biased and self-fulfilling prophesy.

 

Forget the statistics. They are not the law. If they were, Leon Clarke was the third best striker at this level the season before last. Do you really believe that? Consider all the attributes you want a striker to have. How many of them has Rhodes exhibited in no fewer than 60 appearances for us? And don't give me this "not playing to his strengths" nonsense. While all our other forwards (not to mention Iorfa) were scoring more frequently I don't recall any of them having to collect the ball in their own half and take on several opponents by themselves. It's just one of a litany of feeble excuses because some can't accept their faith has been misplaced.

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should have loaned in a striker,one up tops no good for us,our MF isnt blessed with goals

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, clud17 said:

 

maybe but when you look at Winnall's record at Scunthorpe, Barnsley and even Derby it suggests that we have players that are proven scorers but play a style that doesnt suit them. It goes back to recruitment i guess and buying players that work for our system .

 

Our our midfield have been at fault. Where have we stacked in chances created v the rest...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, gurujuan said:

There’s no doubt that we’ve wasted money all over the pitch, but yes, in recent times, the forwards we e recruited have been poor. The first batch, Joao, Forestieri, Nuhiu and Hooper, were all better value then the subsequent purchases, although Fletcher is now going some way to justifying his sky high wages. 

who bought nuhiu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...