Just trying to put this one to bed for everyone trying to shoehorn Iorfa Lees and Borner into a back 3. 

For a start, Lees was never comfortable in that role under Joss

Who plays wingback? We only have odubajo who really fits. Palmer / fox not good enough going forward and suit full back far better. Penney out on loan. 

What happens with the wingers? 

It does open the possibility of two up front but apart from Fletcher our strikers are starting to look average. 

Surely it's gotta be 442 or 433 .

In that case the only think that needs sorting is the midfield 2.

12 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Just trying to put this one to bed for everyone trying to shoehorn Iorfa Lees and Borner into a back 3. 

For a start, Lees was never comfortable in that role under Joss

Who plays wingback? We only have odubajo who really fits. Palmer / fox not good enough going forward and suit full back far better. Penney out on loan. 

What happens with the wingers? 

It does open the possibility of two up front but apart from Fletcher our strikers are starting to look average. 

Surely it's gotta be 442 or 433 .

In that case the only think that needs sorting is the midfield 2.

Not sure it works mate. Try putting the 11 names to it and problems start appearing  higher up the pitch.

I think in a 541 it looks ok-ish, but in a 532 the names just don’t work.

Don't like to say it but them blunts have gone about it the right way. They basically went through two divisions with the same tactics plus holding their own in the prem at the moment.

There's no other team that's mirrored there style. Iorfa and borner are both capable of pushing forward to create overloads would love  to give it a shot.

30 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

Don't like to say it but them blunts have gone about it the right way. They basically went through two divisions with the same tactics plus holding their own in the prem at the moment.

There's no other team that's mirrored there style. Iorfa and borner are both capable of pushing forward to create overloads would love  to give it a shot.

Would need to find wingbacks as good as what they have.

Westwood

Iorfa 

Lees 

Borner 

Palmer

Lee

Luongo 

Bannan

Odubajo 

Harris 

Fletcher 

Subs: Dawson, Fox, Pelupessy, Reach, Murphy, Winnall, Nuhiu

That's what I'd try against Wigan, 3-5-1-1 with Harris just behind Fletch, think his pace up top and Fletchers hold up play could cause problems. Think after last night Reach needs dropping to the bench.

Guest Ferkorf
2 hours ago, Owling said:

Suppose Reach would be the left wingback.

You're doing well.....I got at least 4 negs last month for suggesting that even though it would be a completely suitable position lol

I think this squad suits a three at the back system, in particular a 3-4-3. Odubajo and Reach are ideal wing backs, the likes of Murphy, Harris and Forestieri are ideal for those wide forward berths. Fletcher/Nuhiu would be good options to lead the line. The issue comes in midfield. But, with 2 to be picked from Hutchinson, Bannan, Lee and Luongo (forget Pelupessy), there should be the basis of a dynamic and creative enough partnership between them. 

However, my reservations at the minute about switching to something like that, is that our back four are starting to look like they are forming the basis of a very solid rearguard. 

And for me, there's no argument about Tom Lees. He waits for his chance. Whats the point of having a squad, if you revert back to a standard XI, regardless of performances and form? Iorfa has come in (and aside from the lapse last night for the goal) and has been fantastic. He's formed a good partnership with Borner, and as a unit, we look as comfortable from a defensive point of view as we've been for a long, long time. 

It's the offensive efficiency that we need to start to improve. On Saturday, there was no issues with that also. We had a plan, everybody played well and we took our chances. But far too often this season, we've looked powderpuff and very one-dimensional going forward. This is where Monk needs to try and find the right formula. 

• Like 1

A group of players who all suit best differing systems to their team mates.

Monk is going to have to do what all the last three managers have done and play the system which puts the least square pegs in.

There will always be a few players that don't quite sit right.  He's going to need a couple of windows.

59 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

A group of players who all suit best differing systems to their team mates.

Monk is going to have to do what all the last three managers have done and play the system which puts the least square pegs in.

There will always be a few players that don't quite sit right.  He's going to need a couple of windows.

We’ve had four managers, five if you count Bullen, in two years.
Not surprising the club are searching for the best system to suit the exiting squad.

Regardless of short term results, Monk now needs to be given time to assess the squad and develop the best system of play.

He showed on Saturday that he’s open to a bit of experimentation with that strike partnership which no one expected.

I think we’ll see a bit more tinkering before he settles on the best set up.
Realistically though he’ll need at least those two transfer windows to correct the glaring squad weaknesses.
Left back & central midfield are long overdue for additions.

Then we only have 1out of 5 strikers capable of regularly hitting the target.

It will need a willingness of the power(s) that be to accept realistic offers for players, too many of whom are nearing the end of contract.

Without that the recruitment team will be scrapping around the free transfer market again.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Blatter said:

We’ve had four managers, five if you count Bullen, in two years.
Not surprising the club are searching for the best system to suit the exiting squad.

Regardless of short term results, Monk now needs to be given time to assess the squad and develop the best system of play.

He showed on Saturday that he’s open to a bit of experimentation with that strike partnership which no one expected.

I think we’ll see a bit more tinkering before he settles on the best set up.
Realistically though he’ll need at least those two transfer windows to correct the glaring squad weaknesses.
Left back & central midfield are long overdue for additions.

Then we only have 1out of 5 strikers capable of regularly hitting the target.

It will need a willingness of the power(s) that be to accept realistic offers for players, too many of whom are nearing the end of contract.

Without that the recruitment team will be scrapping around the free transfer market again.

Agree fully with this post. 

We all said (in the main!) that Bruce would need three windows. He did one window and bolted, but the situation at Wednesday hasn't the squad needs surgery (and not the sort they're used to!) 

Whichever system we have played over recent years there has always been at least one area in every set up that has looked lost. The left back issue is one which needed handling after the play-off (where Bannan ended up as a auxiliary left back helping Pudil Ironically having to deal with Odubajo!)

I love 4-4-2. I think if they're honest we all do. It leaves a nice balance across the pitch with those little partnerships. Right back and right winger. The centre midfielders. The classic strike pairings (there's few finer sights in football than a classic strike pairing in tandem and almost telepathic.)  But really for that to be a genuine option we have needed a beast. We've needed a beast for 4 years. 

3 at the back? Wing backs?  Reach...half the time peoples concern is that he can't  do the TMT's Track-Mark-Tackle - pretty important stuff if your the teams left sided.

The skipper looked like a man who couldn't swim attempting a channel crossing in a back three as well. (As he did for Leeds when we battered them by 6)

It's going to have to be horses for courses and make do and mend on an almost weekly basis until Monk can sculpt his squad according to how he wants to do things.

And some weeks, that will be ugly and some weeks it won't work.

I have posted in another thread on this.

If anybody thinks you can’t put names to 352 then we have been putting names to 442 and 433, 451 which don’t fit either.

We will never win enough games playing 442 with Hutch and Bannan in midfield, no chance.

With 433/451 we are relying totally on Fletcher as the lone striker and a front three with our current wide players just doesn’t have enough goals. Will FF change this, possibly but you wouldn’t bet on it.

Monk is currently being forced down the Jos route of changing the system depending on the opposition. 

We are heading for mid table at the moment and need something different 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Change, change, change. Until we find something that works. We're a 4-5-1 team unwilling to accept it. 

Well sort of I suppose, but more a 4-1-4-1 

Hutchinson plays just in front of the back 4.

Fletcher plays just ahead of Winnall or Forestieri (or even Nuhiu v Borough)

3 hours ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Westwood

Iorfa 

Lees 

Borner 

Palmer

Lee

Luongo 

Bannan

Odubajo 

Harris 

Fletcher 

Subs: Dawson, Fox, Pelupessy, Reach, Murphy, Winnall, Nuhiu

That's what I'd try against Wigan, 3-5-1-1 with Harris just behind Fletch, think his pace up top and Fletchers hold up play could cause problems. Think after last night Reach needs dropping to the bench.

If you play 3_5_1_1 , then put Harris in midfield , and Nuhiu in the link role , he has the height to frighten  a midfield player  , and will pull there center halves  out of position leaving gaps for fletcher. 

46 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Well sort of I suppose, but more a 4-1-4-1 

Hutchinson plays just in front of the back 4.

Fletcher plays just ahead of Winnall or Forestieri (or even Nuhiu v Borough)

Doesn't matter if Winnall plays behind Fletcher. He's a striker. Will not support Bannan and make a 5 midfield when defending like Reach or Lee, who are tireless with their closing down, even though one might be abit weak in the tackle.

All this "play 2 strikers" brigade that might have convinced Monk to give it ago has completely negated all the good work we've done to have Reach, Murphy and Harris in the same team, with Bannan and Hutchinson supporting them.

Middlesborough was a complete one off btw, won by set plays

Edited by bigash_swfc
  • Like 1

to me, 4-3-3

defence as is. (plenty in reserve)

reach, aussie lad, Bannan. (lee and Hutch in reserve)

murhphy/harris/FF for 2 wide positions

Fletcher/Nuhui. as fulcrum.

really need FF back to his best and sign a Dwight Gayle type striker for zillions of £££££££'s.