Losing to Hull last night is okay..........

It's not about winning the next game or the one after. We need to average 2.1 points per game to win promotion . Anything below 1.6 and we stay in the Championship for another season.

We are currently around 1.6 points per game. This gives us 74 points at the end of the season and a shot at the play offs. Last year that would have meant 6th position. Last year we averaged 1.4 points per game and finished 12th.

We are this team, we aren't a top six side. We are just around ½ a point per game from a promotion challenging side. That's quite some way off.

13 hours ago, OzOwl said:

As long as we win the next game and not draw, it’s the draws that kill you...

12 hours ago, Spookone said:

Draws kill your promotion hopes...

I remember being intrigued by this presumptuous accepted wisdom a few years ago and having researched it, found it to have little or no basis in reality. You can check it yourselves if you like, but here's a few examples from the Championship of how little importance drawn games are as an indicator of success or failure...

2018/9

Rotherham and Ipswich both had 16 draws and they were relegated. But so did Aston Villa who were promoted.

The other team that went down (Bolton) were tied for fewest draws with Leeds who finished 3rd, with 8 each.

2017/8

Fulham went up with 13 draws, more than Burton who went down with 11.

2015/6

Burnley were champions with 15 draws, the same number as Bolton, who finished bottom, and also matched by those finishing 5th, 7th, 10th and 20th.

2014/5

No one in the top seven had more draws than league winners Bournemouth's 12. Wigan had the same number and they ended up next to bottom.

2013/4

Not a single team in the bottom ten and only four in the entire division had more than the 15 single pointers registered by runners-up Burnley.

2012/3

When Crystal Palace made it to the top flight, just 5 teams had more draws than they did (15).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

So in summary ..

It's the losses that kill you in this game ....

Isn't it incredible that something you'd have thought was brutally obvious is being replaced instead with some kind of esoteric alchemy?

That's the power of football cliches I suppose.

2 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

So in summary ..

It's the losses that kill you in this game ....

Yep.

Losses for us means another team benefits... so I’m not sure how that  is a good thing... it helps their tally and their season, possibly enough to overtake us. Simple really... basically how a league works, and why we don’t achieve anything.  

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

I remember being intrigued by this presumptuous accepted wisdom a few years ago and having researched it, found it to have little or no basis in reality. You can check it yourselves if you like, but here's a few examples from the Championship of how little importance drawn games are as an indicator of success or failure...

2018/9

Rotherham and Ipswich both had 16 draws and they were relegated. But so did Aston Villa who were promoted.

The other team that went down (Bolton) were tied for fewest draws with Leeds who finished 3rd, with 8 each.

2017/8

2015/6

Burnley were champions with 15 draws, the same number as Bolton, who finished bottom, and also matched by those finishing 5th, 7th, 10th and 20th.

2014/5

No one in the top seven had more draws than league winners Bournemouth's 12. Wigan had the same number and they ended up next to bottom.

2013/4

Not a single team in the bottom ten and only four in the entire division had more than the 15 single pointers registered by runners-up Burnley.

2012/3

When Crystal Palace made it to the top flight, just 5 teams had more draws than they did (15).

Don't come on her with well researched facts and figures you muppet - you will just spoil it for everyone! lol

I think my angle was really going out to win games rather than being safe and ending up with draws and as everyone knows a win is better than a draw (and I have researched that).

51 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Isn't it incredible that something you'd have thought was brutally obvious is being replaced instead with some kind of esoteric alchemy?

That's the power of football cliches I suppose.

It certainly is DJ 

Those pesky draws are a killer ....

Ask any Liverpool fan and for this instance (2018)

they'd agree wholeheartedly with you ....

lol

• Haha 1

Losing wasnt good but this is the Championship where every team will suffer the same types of results. Its not like trying to win the Premier League where one defeat can kill you. 

Everyone will drop points, no two teams are going to run away with it

12 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

2018/9

2017/8

2015/6

2014/5

2013/4

2012/3

Excellent work old boy. Now can everyone please study this and stop this ridiculous "It's the draws that kill you" nonsense??

Results are one thing, when a new manager comes in they need time to get things the way they want them. The thing bothering me is so far we look more organized then just before he took over. Not all the time though been spells they looked clueless against Fulham but early days. 

My concern is playing Nuihu more and the style of play plus overall approach worries me we have brought in a dud. Possibly not having an assistant that is widely admired in football along side him now may be important. He came in saying the squad had question marks over them. But he has too. Feels right now that he's half as good as he has been at his best and we will slump down the table. Really hope I'm wrong I want promotion but Middlesbrough were pathetic Fulham cheated and we just look 1 dimensional more and more now. Worried he's another Joe I guess

On 02/10/2019 at 11:50, Owls-Fan said:

Yes a win on Saturday should put us in the playoffs, as starts go that is acceptable. The worry is we have tougher games to come, but knowing our inconsistent players they will probably raise their game when we aren’t expected to get points

Complete opposite situation to last season, when we sat 6th going into the second international break after playing most of the fancied sides

On 3 October 2019 at 01:18, DJMortimer said:

2018/9

2017/8

2015/6

2014/5

2013/4

2012/3

So in summary draws are irrelevant.

If you win loads they won't stop you getting promoted.

If you lose loads they won't stop you getting relegated.

What this says to me is that if you have an offensively effective team you may as well just go for the win ( as with Carlos season 1 )

Lot to be said for going for it every game.

You will suffer the odd defeat but this will be more than compensated by the win ratio.

If you have a dodgy defence and a flaky front line, draws are unlikely to help.