Jump to content
OzOwl

Losing to Hull last night is okay..........

Recommended Posts

As long as we win the next game and not draw, it’s the draws that kill you, we are on the right path.

  • Agree 9
  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 losses in 10 is our main concern. We've seen flashes of what this squad is capable of, and consistency is the key. We've yet to see a full transition to what this squad is capable of. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes a win on Saturday should put us in the playoffs, as starts go that is acceptable. The worry is we have tougher games to come, but knowing our inconsistent players they will probably raise their game when we aren’t expected to get points

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes a win on Saturday would be great. Anything less would mean 0 or 1 point from Hull and Wigan which would be a very poor return. Let’s hope we play like we did in that 1st half against Boro! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, OzOwl said:

As long as we win the next game and not draw, it’s the draws that kill you, we are on the right path.

It's frustrating that as the last 2 seasons we aren't taking the chance to cement our place in the top 6 early on, but I would rather lose one and win one than draw both.

 

We have to make sure we get the 3 points on Saturday otherwise we are slipping too far behind some of the other clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A win on Saturday is a must. 

 

Pick up the three points and it is a decent return prior to the international break. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

A loss last night was ok if your ambition is to only be a mid table side.

Yep - we have to be aiming and believing we are going to win every match but id rather attack and lose the odd match due to getting caught out at the back than draw matches by not being attacking minded.

 

Draws kill your promotion hopes.

  • Like 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Yeah at least we didn't draw yesterday. Would of been a nightmare. 

  • Agree 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont expect Monk to perform miracles with this squad , he needs at least 2 transfer windows .

  • Agree 6
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OzOwl said:

As long as we win the next game and not draw, it’s the draws that kill you, we are on the right path.

a win last night would have put us 2nd....and we should have won..Hull were worse than us imo

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Dont expect Monk to perform miracles with this squad , he needs at least 2 transfer windows .

think your right bud,some people on here think we should be top 6,cant see it to be honest,prob 3 good sides,about a dozen decent ,inc us,then a few you would expect to be at the bottom..imo

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Spookone said:

Yep - we have to be aiming and believing we are going to win every match but id rather attack and lose the odd match due to getting caught out at the back than draw matches by not being attacking minded.

 

Draws kill your promotion hopes.

Losing doesn't do them much good either!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A loss to a midtable outfit Hull is never "OK".

 

We could win the next 5 in a row, but if we mssed out on promotion or the playoffs by a point or two, Hull was one of the games that we should have been picking up points from as most of the genuine promotion contenders will.

 

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disagree with the op.

Any win & we go 2nd.

The psychology & feel good factor benefits would have been huge.

Plus Monk remains unbeaten.

 

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OzOwl said:

As long as we win the next game and not draw, it’s the draws that kill you, we are on the right path.

 

And the losses, don't forget the losses.   Three bloody points gone!! So last night was far from acceptable.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we're midtable.. We should be around the playoffs imo, which is where we are atm, 3 points off automatic.

 

We've got a good keeper, maybe not one of the best in the league any more, but he's still decent.

The defense is pretty solid. Borner has come in and done superb given how we all thought Hector would be a huge miss. Palmer's been decent at left back and Odubajo's settling in after a slightly shakey start.
Fletch is on fire up top. Reach looks like picking things up after a slow start of 1 assist, no goals in his first 9 games. Harris has been superb and a much needed outlet. Bannan's getting involved.. 4 assists for him now? And Hutch is staying fit.

 

We look tactically adaptable under Monk. Switching between a front 3 and a 442 depending on who we're against.

We lack a little bit of depth in some areas, and might take a few games to figure out alternative plans for when we're missing someone important (e.g. fletch), but hopefully the Hull game was useful in that respect. Some times you need to see what doesn't work before you can see what does.

 

We're 8th.

No one above us is in great form.. no one has more than 3 wins from the last 5.

4 of the 7 teams above us have lost one of their last 5.

 

So despite poor losses to Hull, QPR and Millwall, and not having a manager for the first 8 games, we're still 3 off automatic promotion.

No one's running away with it, and you've got to think we'll improve the longer Monk has to work with the players.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Losing doesn't do them much good either!

You may be missing my point - if we approach matches as Wilder did/does and press high and attack teams meaning we may occasionally get caught out at the back and end up losing a match or two. Thats better than playing tactically and drawing a higher amount of matches.

 

More wins may mean a few more losses but we will end up with more points over the season.

 

lol

  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spookone said:

You may be missing my point - if we approach matches as Wilder did/does and press high and attack teams meaning we may occasionally get caught out at the back and end up losing a match or two. Thats better than playing tactically and drawing a higher amount of matches.

 

More wins may mean a few more losses but we will end up with more points over the season.

 

lol

Apologies mate, did understand your point; unfortunately after last night's result my sarcasm output is at its highest level. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cookeh said:

I don't think we're midtable.. We should be around the playoffs imo, which is where we are atm, 3 points off automatic.

 

We've got a good keeper, maybe not one of the best in the league any more, but he's still decent.

The defense is pretty solid. Borner has come in and done superb given how we all thought Hector would be a huge miss. Palmer's been decent at left back and Odubajo's settling in after a slightly shakey start.
Fletch is on fire up top. Reach looks like picking things up after a slow start of 1 assist, no goals in his first 9 games. Harris has been superb and a much needed outlet. Bannan's getting involved.. 4 assists for him now? And Hutch is staying fit.

 

We look tactically adaptable under Monk. Switching between a front 3 and a 442 depending on who we're against.

We lack a little bit of depth in some areas, and might take a few games to figure out alternative plans for when we're missing someone important (e.g. fletch), but hopefully the Hull game was useful in that respect. Some times you need to see what doesn't work before you can see what does.

 

We're 8th.

No one above us is in great form.. no one has more than 3 wins from the last 5.

4 of the 7 teams above us have lost one of their last 5.

 

So despite poor losses to Hull, QPR and Millwall, and not having a manager for the first 8 games, we're still 3 off automatic promotion.

No one's running away with it, and you've got to think we'll improve the longer Monk has to work with the players.

It's the glaring weaknesses these defeats show up. Central defence, no concentration;  midfield weak players and one doing constant fouling but not getting the ball;  poor finishing up front unless an easy goal for Fletcher to convert; full backs very ordinary at best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...