A12owl

Oldest squad in the league

2 hours ago, A12owl said:

Hasn't Thorniley played LB in the past? 

Yes.

And, whilst he can plug a gap in an emergency, he’s not a natural LB at all.

Shame really for him really cos the amount of players ‘in front of him’ at CB isn’t a reflection on his ability at all. 

Id say he’s ready at this level. I’d be knocking on the managers door asking for a loan move to league one to get his name out there.

1 hour ago, Watto said:

It's been a problem for years , most other championship teams have young kids in their team who have come through their academy or they've got a few young premier League loanee"s in the team, we have neither and it's major problem as to why we continue to struggle to make the top 6.

Inept leadership

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, A12owl said:

Apparently our squad has the highest average age in the Chamionship.

Is it time a few of the youngsters were given a run. They should be playing for a shirt for their future. 

There are plenty of teenagers and young 20ish year olds playing in the premiership. Have we got any that would make the grade sooner rather than later?

One or two on the bench with perhaps one in the team to shake up the older players. 

we should nigh on always pick on merit, not age, at the back end of the season IF nothing is at risk then I can see the opportunity to take a look at a few, but other wise, IF you're good enough to play in the first team, then break into it with your own ability, and at present none are, what's that tell you?

Posted (edited)

image.png.070747c9c06395949a4084b670990d1a.png

Edited by rob_21026

Jesus, we must of had oldest squad in the world last season.  we got rid of some old players over summer. 

Boyd, Pudil and Jones where all pushing 35 ish, hooper, Matias and abdi all around the 30 mark. 

We must of lowered the squad age by quite a bit with borner, Harris and Murphy all relatively young in comparison. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

This is what annoyed me so much about our recruitment in the summer It was the stated aim that we were to look to bring in youngsters on loan from the Premier League’s big boys, and that would have balanced the squad out  We waited and waited, and then did nothing. A missed opportunity

Completely agree. Get a Tammy Abraham lookalike from Chelsea or academy youngsters from the big six before they break through and you revitalise the squad. Instead money was spent on bench-warmers.

3 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Really !!

One Chrissie Waddle spring to mind

• Agree 1

Are they really that old? Westwood is 34, not that old for a keeper as there have been quite a few still playing at this level or higher until late 30s. The only other one in the match day squad last night over 30 was Lee who is 31. Fletcher obviously was missing and is 32. 

Then there's Bannan, Hutchinson, Nuhui and Rhodes who are 29. Rest are younger than that. It's not like they're all well into their 30s, so not sure why it's such a high average vs other teams

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Janak said:

I was only quoting what the sky commentator said.  Mind you he did say Lee at 31 was club captain when he came on. I should have known better that to believe him.

He did also say we lost 1-0. Did he get that wrong as well? 

9 hours ago, alanharper said:

Which ones would you put in though, and who for?

Other than Thorniley and Dawson, none of the youngsters have looked anywhere near first team material, and even Thorniley has at least 3 CBs ahead of him in the pecking order now.

For me I think Thorniley is better than Lees, I'd have Jud and Julian as centre backs, with Iorfa as right back. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, A12owl said:

I was only quoting what the sky commentator said.  Mind you he did say Lee at 31 was club captain when he came on. I should have known better that to believe him.

He did also say we lost 1-0. Did he get that wrong as well? 

27.5 is the average age of our entire squad. 28.2 is the average age of our starting eleven this season.

So we have fielded the oldest starting eleven this season and have the third oldest squad in the division.

Edited by Woozie

We offloaded Boyd, Jones, Abdi and Hooper in summer all of whom were well over 30. This just illustrates how wrong the age balance of the squad was wrong. This is in addition to it not being balanced by playing position. In addition players recruited Harris, Borner, Odubajo and Luongo were all experienced mid 20's players which were required. To get the mess right it will take more than one transfer window although I think in the summer good strides were made.

Monk said he would not play young players for PR purposes, I thought this was a pleasant way of saying he did not think any of current crop are ready. The performances at u/23 level of team have not been great this season with particular problems defensively. 

Therefore can not see any young players be included in near future. I hope I am wrong and we can introduce a good young player or two.

10 hours ago, A12owl said:

Apparently our squad has the highest average age in the Chamionship.

Is it time a few of the youngsters were given a run. They should be playing for a shirt for their future. 

There are plenty of teenagers and young 20ish year olds playing in the premiership. Have we got any that would make the grade sooner rather than later?

One or two on the bench with perhaps one in the team to shake up the older players. 

Might be sounding like a broken record, but SB wanted to reduce the age of the squad. The incompetence of club employees tied his hands. You couldn’t fuching write the ways our club invents to hurt itself. Luckily it’s a poo league so we may still have a “sniff” come January. Sound familiar?

1 hour ago, Woozie said:

27.5 is the average age of our entire squad. 28.2 is the average age of our starting eleven this season.

So we have fielded the oldest starting eleven this season and have the third oldest squad in the division.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Pale Rider said:

Might be sounding like a broken record, but SB wanted to reduce the age of the squad. The incompetence of club employees tied his hands. You couldn’t fuching write the ways our club invents to hurt itself. Luckily it’s a poo league so we may still have a “sniff” come January. Sound familiar?

Yep

Woods

Nilsson

Pearson

Anderson

Worthington

Wilson

Palmer 

Sheridan

Waddle

Hirst

Bright  

Subs

Shirtliff

Madden

Francis

This eleven wernt  bad and I'd guess they were older than our current  squad ....age matters not a jot .its how good you are that counts .

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Woods

Nilsson

Pearson

Anderson

Worthington

Wilson

Palmer 

Sheridan

Waddle

Hirst

Bright  

Subs

Shirtliff

Madden

Francis

This eleven wernt  bad and I'd guess they were older than our current  squad ....age matters not a jot .its how good you are that counts .

If they wern't older then.....they are now.WTF:

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Reallondonowl said:

Completely agree. Get a Tammy Abraham lookalike from Chelsea or academy youngsters from the big six before they break through and you revitalise the squad. Instead money was spent on bench-warmers.

It's not always easy to work things out in the era of the routinely undisclosed fee, but it seems to me we have spent very little in the last 3 transfer windows at least with some very serious regulatory limits looming.

Spending like the early part of Chansiri's tenure is WAY beyond our means at this point and arrivals have been modest as a consequence. Only goes to highlight how reckless and overenthusiastic (polite way of saying 'irresponsible') things were for a couple of years.

Edited by DJMortimer

You never win anything with rag shìtters.