Hoofball

I’m amazed how one dimensional we were tonight - it was as close to watching Megson football.

Nuhui had some early success but they sniffed us out from around 20 minute in and yet we continued to pump balls up and they continued to be dealt with

Hull were a good, slick passing side and we were chasing shadows at times. Murphy was a good impact sub, how Reach wasn’t subbed for him I don’t know - I don’t buy Harris having a booking effecting him to be subbed either, he’s not a dirty player - Murphy and Harris on both sides for the last 25 would’ve given us more width and an outball which we severely lacked all game. 

Iorfa was a beast and so was Borner, defensively we were very good to the goal - one lapse and we got punished. Offensively, we got it so so wrong tonight and Monk didn’t make any changes until the last ten to actually use width and we had some success.

Final pass, finishing and direct football - all pants tonight. 

• Haha 2

It's hard watching Wednesday at the moment. Take out the Boro game and generally our attacking play has been league one standard. No movement, no adaptability, teams have sussed our Harris tactics so why not switch him to the other wing for 10 mins, same for reach.

There's simple things even we can see that simply aren't happening.

You have to at least sometimes try and release the ball quickly if you're a keeper to a full back if there's a dart up the pitch on.

Westwood seems incapable of making a quick decision to release the ball and it's stifling chances of a counter attack and making us very predictable.

We don't even challenge teams to reshape quickly when the ball ends up in his hands. It needs sorting because it's a facet of the game that we're not utilising. 

It was crying out for us to have the extra midfielder in the centre tonight. Should have brought Winnall off at half time and put Lee or Luongo in as the extra man to give options to pass through the midfield. Bannan was like a quarter-back all night with few opportunities to play a shorter ball. Awful tactics from Monk.

35 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

I’m amazed how one dimensional we were tonight - it was as close to watching Megson football.

Nuhui had some early success but they sniffed us out from around 20 minute in and yet we continued to pump balls up and they continued to be dealt with

Hull were a good, slick passing side and we were chasing shadows at times. Murphy was a good impact sub, how Reach wasn’t subbed for him I don’t know - I don’t buy Harris having a booking effecting him to be subbed either, he’s not a dirty player - Murphy and Harris on both sides for the last 25 would’ve given us more width and an outball which we severely lacked all game. 

Iorfa was a beast and so was Borner, defensively we were very good to the goal - one lapse and we got punished. Offensively, we got it so so wrong tonight and Monk didn’t make any changes until the last ten to actually use width and we had some success.

Really?

We were poor and still created more clear cut chances which were wasted by inept finishing.

26 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

You have to at least sometimes try and release the ball quickly if you're a keeper to a full back if there's a dart up the pitch on.

Westwood seems incapable of making a quick decision to release the ball and it's stifling chances of a counter attack and making us very predictable.

We don't even challenge teams to reshape quickly when the ball ends up in his hands. It needs sorting because it's a facet of the game that we're not utilising. 

I honestly think that Westwood is an attention seeker. 

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

It’s ironic you post this thread and then another post savaging Reach because when we play like this our only hope is something dropping Reach’s left foot.

Whilst he didn’t quite achieve what we know he can tonight, he was by far and away our most likely goal threat...whilst playing a game that doesn’t really play to his strengths...which is getting the ball to feet in the channels facing the right way

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Really?

We were poor and still created more clear cut chances which were wasted by inept finishing.

Disagree - I thought Hull were better side and wouldn’t regard chances as clear cut.  Winnall’s header was not that easy (he was well past front post)  and whilst Reach should have hit the target there was still plenty to do.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steve Down South said:

Disagree - I thought Hull were better side and wouldn’t regard chances as clear cut.  Winnall’s header was not that easy (he was well past front post)  and whilst Reach should have hit the target there was still plenty to do.

Reach had 2 good chances, Winnall’s was  almost a sitter, we should have had a pen, Bannan had a decent effort, Reach had a decent effort, Winnall headed over the bar.

The had the goal, a blocked shot and a 25 yarder that Westwood had covered 

I’d say we had the better chances

18 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Reach had 2 good chances, Winnall’s was  almost a sitter, we should have had a pen, Bannan had a decent effort, Reach had a decent effort, Winnall headed over the bar.

The had the goal, a blocked shot and a 25 yarder that Westwood had covered 

I’d say we had the better chances

Winnall’s header was the only one where I was expecting the net to bulge, but after seeing the chance again I certainly wouldn’t call it (almost) a sitter.

Agree that Hull didn’t create much, but felt they played the more fluent football and just about deserved the win.

19 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Winnall’s header was the only one where I was expecting the net to bulge, but after seeing the chance again I certainly wouldn’t call it (almost) a sitter.

Agree that Hull didn’t create much, but felt they played the more fluent football and just about deserved the win.

We so badly need a variation in style up top - Forestieri coming back can’t come quick enough 

5 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

We so badly need a variation in style up top - Forestieri coming back can’t come quick enough 

The style has been effective under Monk up to tonight so I wouldn't expect him to change it. Conceded 2 and scored 7 in 3 league matches going into the game. We could easily have scored 6 on Saturday. 

Fletcher is pivotal and Rhodes is shot, I'm not sure what style you would expect us to play tonight with the options up top, Winnall and Nuhiu are hardly going to run away from anyone and Rhodes has been ineffective no matter what we play.

We were poor but should have scored first, should have had a penalty and missed a better chance to equalise than the goal they scored. Westwood only had to make one save of note and that came when we were chasing the game.

Agree that Forestieri will give us a different option but what we did tonight should still have been effective enough for at least a point.

Both teams had little spells where they were on top all night and i agree we were inclined to hoof it when we weren't having one of our periods of possession.  The positioning of nuihu (just far enough forward to collect one of westwoods kicks) suggested this was a purposeful tactical decision, indeed westwood was practicing this before kick off.   The trouble with this was that it left him too deep to put any pressure on hulls back line.  Winnal did get a couple of chances during the odd period when we were pressing but was no where near clinical enough. The truth is there was far too much room between nuihu and winnal for them to.be effective as a pair. 

I thought hulls fullback had harris in his pocket for the 1st 30mins but after that harris did start making odd runs behind; atleast until he was booked. Reach WAS largely innefective, his first touch was not what we normally get from him and his jumping out of tackles was exactly what we normally get from him!

Is it just me that feels nervous when iorfa is called to action?  I just don't trust him, perhaps because of his gangly demeanor. Don't get me wrong he didn't do anything wrong (except perhaps climb all over a couple of their players in our box) he just looks uncomfortably clumsy.  Lastly palmer was leaving their right sided player with acres of space and on a couple of occasions dropped inside beyond borner while there was a hull player out on the left and when hull had possession!  Not a good night.  Adobajo did ok, hutch did what we expect him to do and bannan TRIED to keep the moves flowing but i think the tactics were poorly concieved and we missed fletch. 

I like Westwood but watching it last night I can only recall once when he rolled it out to one of our players. The rest of the time it was a big kick upfield where there is a good chance of losing possession. When we build from the back we are often effective so can’t understand this obsession with long kicks. 

9 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

This exact thing has been winding me up for years.

Why wait for the opponent to get back in formation only to kick the ball into the same area you could have done 10 seconds earlier when there was a run being made and half their defensive players out of position?!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

By slick passing you mean passing it between the back 4 like most teams do these days.

11 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Been needing this for a while mind .. i thought someone like Nakhi Wells coming in over the summer would have set us in good stead - or someone else with bundles of pace and who's pretty direct

All of our strikers are very similar types of players, alright with the ball at feet and in the air but lack any quality to drive forward and carry the ball ... missing that so badly

On 01/10/2019 at 22:21, agentwalker said:

It's hard watching Wednesday at the moment. Take out the Boro game and generally our attacking play has been league one standard. No movement, no adaptability, teams have sussed our Harris tactics so why not switch him to the other wing for 10 mins, same for reach.

There's simple things even we can see that simply aren't happening.

if harris has been 'sussed' then he needs to come inside to feed off fletcher, or in this case big dave, with reach occupying the f/b out wide.