Does 442 work in the Championship, or not?

If Champ manager ever taught me anything, it's that you adapt your formation to the players you have available, not the other way around. 

All these one up front with two inside forwards formations are super-fashionable at the moment, but there's no point being fashionable if we don't have the players to do it properly. 

To play like Liverpool or Man City you almost need your strongest players to be your wing-backs as they are expected to do the job of two players. Even the likes of Mendy, Alexander-Arnold and Alonso struggle with balancing their attacking responsibilities with actually occasionally needing to defend from time to time.  Liam Palmer has proved a lot of people wrong in the last couple of years but he's never going to be the rampaging wing-back we need. 

Bruce clearly started bringing the players in to try and play this system - Harris and Murphy fit the bill as quick  inside-forwards that can cut inside and get shots in, Moses an attack-minded overlapping wingback.  They were probably the best available without spending money, but I'm not convinced by two of them and I'm not sure we are there yet regarding being able to play the fashionable way. 

11 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Latter day examples will be thin on the ground though

Only because 442 isn't fashionable any more in the Premier League, and consequently in the Championship.

I think formations are secondary and it's more about the players you have in your squad and what you intend to do with the ball.

As we have five strikers I think 442 just makes it easier to get them on the field and on the ball. 

I think Saturday proves modern football doesn't expect a team will turn up playing 442 and stop your defenders running the game. There will also be a lot of modern CBs who are expecting to deal with pace, which are going to get exposed to an aerial threat, which they've not had to deal with at this level. 

I don't think 433 plays to the strengths of any of ours strikers. 

41 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

4-4-2 is simple formation. Im not a fan of all these " modern " systems. 

1x keeper

2x full backs

2x centre halves

1x defensive midfielder

1x attacking midfielder

2x wingers

2x strikers 

This

Get t'by-line!

On 29/09/2019 at 19:18, bobness said:

100% I agree that all formations have their merits, based on the opposition, a particular game's dynamics, as well as the squad at your disposal.

I only created this thread as there was a fair bit of scoffing at the suggestion we should go 4-4-2, because "it doesn't work in the modern game". I found the suggestion baffling, especially as we looked much more cohesive when switching to 4-4-2 against Huddersfield.

What's the root of the belief 4-4-2 "doesn't work"? Is it because the football elites are too good for it?

If you are putting the question to me.

I personally would worry if we tried to go with 2 in centre midfield against some of the more pacey energetic midfields as evidence suggests we struggle against these type of sides. I can only assume it is the type of players at our disposal which creates this concern rather than the actual system.

On 29/09/2019 at 18:24, Ferkorf said:

4-4-2 is the best formation for any football team. Why teams play with one man up top baffles me.

Strike partnerships bring about goals especially in English football.

4-3-3 is good when you have Ronaldo Rooney and Nani up there or Griezmann Suarez and Messi....

Not quite the same with Harris Fletcher and Reach lol

spot on bud,we aint got the quality