bobness

Does 442 work in the Championship, or not?

Call me old school, but I've always been a fan of 442. I'm no tactician though, and won't pretend to properly understand the mechanics behind the modern game.

For me though, under Monk we've looked best at 442, and for what it's worth, I never liked the idea of Fletcher as a lone striker. Perhaps "442 is for grandpas" is something that applies to football of the highest calibre, not the Championship. Can any of the resident tacticians provide some insight into what we've seen from Monk so far? Always appreciated a bit of tactical analysis.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

did yesterday

• Agree 1

Monk has stated that he wants to keep things simple at first to get across his philosophy so that’s why he might have used 4-4-2. More sophisticated formations might come later. 

10 minutes ago, bobness said:

Call me old school, but I've always been a fan of 442. I'm no tactician though, and won't pretend to properly understand the mechanics behind the modern game.

For me though, under Monk we've looked best at 442, and for what it's worth, I never liked the idea of Fletcher as a lone striker. Perhaps "442 is for grandpas" is something that applies to football of the highest calibre, not the Championship. Can any of the resident tacticians provide some insight into what we've seen from Monk so far? Always appreciated a bit of tactical analysis.

Tactical analysis you say?.. I'm free.. what do you need to know son?

• Haha 4

4-4-2 is the best formation for any football team. Why teams play with one man up top baffles me.

Strike partnerships bring about goals especially in English football.

4-3-3 is good when you have Ronaldo Rooney and Nani up there or Griezmann Suarez and Messi....

Not quite the same with Harris Fletcher and Reach lol

• Agree 2

As proved yesterday 4-4-2 worked brilliantly. But it all depends on the opposition. One day we will try 4-4-2 and a team playing 4-3-3 will tear us apart.

Have to be able to adapt in the championship. 

We seem to have the players now and a manager who maybe able to do it.

• Agree 5

29 minutes ago, bobness said:

Tactical analysis on Owlstalk, yeah OK!

17 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Tactical analysis on Owlstalk, yeah OK!

We do have some talent on here, albeit slim pickings!

lol

• Haha 1

Only if you win. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, debram said:

Only if you win. 

This is the sort of analysis I was longing for. Yet again, Owlstalk delivers!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, bobness said:

This is the sort of analysis I was longing for. Yet again, Owlstalk delivers!

Just Sunday afternoon drink talking 

Think all formations will work at some stage of season. Key is to be adaptable and have manager who has know how of when to play which formation. So far Monk has decided correctly. 

• Agree 2

442 clearly has its uses.

I think the main thing I have gleaned off Monk is that he analyses the opponents weakness and tries to exploit it - so the flip side of that is quite simple, changing or tweaking your tactics in such a manner may also have another good side effect - your opponents aren't quite sure which side you will rock up with, so can't apply the same technique and try to oppose your weaknesses quite so easily. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quist said:

Think all formations will work at some stage of season. Key is to be adaptable and have manager who has know how of when to play which formation. So far Monk has decided correctly. 

100% I agree that all formations have their merits, based on the opposition, a particular game's dynamics, as well as the squad at your disposal.

I only created this thread as there was a fair bit of scoffing at the suggestion we should go 4-4-2, because "it doesn't work in the modern game". I found the suggestion baffling, especially as we looked much more cohesive when switching to 4-4-2 against Huddersfield.

What's the root of the belief 4-4-2 "doesn't work"? Is it because the football elites are too good for it?

• Like 1

442 can work if you have the players to suit it. Also some clubs are now playing 442 with a diamond in midfield which puts a different perspective on it.

However over recent seasons most teams promoted, including all three last season, haven’t played 442

Edited by oldishowl
  • Agree 2

Depends how it’s played, I guess:

Inside-out wingers with fullbacks pushing on gives you effectively 6 in midfield, 5 if one of your CMs drops back towards the back line. This stops you being overrun in midfield, and is what Carlos had us doing well in his 1st season. It’s also how Monk seems to be setting us up now, and seems to be working. 

The traditional 2 banks of 4 with two out-and-out wingers, however, would see you destroyed by any team with even a modicum of ability. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

I guess it can change from game to game, but generally I think 442 works well.

I got negged for suggesting this before the Fulham game....but Boro are no Fulham so what do I know........

Games like yesterday don't happen very often, so lets not get carried away.

In a 4-4-2, I'd still like to see 2 very mobile box to box midfielders, as we've seen over the years, whoever plays next to Bannan needs a prolonged spell on the sidelines, whether it was Jones, Hutch or Lee. His stature is simply best suited in a 5, when Carlos liked to have more control over games.

We're playing rock and roll with 4-4-2, it's good when we're rocking but we could so easily be rolling.  

Nuhui and Fletchers ability to protect the ball takes a little pressure off the CM's, but surely it cant happen every game. 

When teams turn upto to Hillsborough with 5 in the middle and we're playing 4-4-2, its must be a dream for the opponents with Bannan in the side

Tactics huh ?  I was reading the match reporting from the Leicester v barcodes game today and one of the tactics espoused by our recent  saviour ,Mr. cabbagehead, from the touchline was, " GET IT UP TO BIG ANDY!!!!".  BBC reporter at the match pointed out that, "big Andy Carroll" was actually stood on the halfway line waiting for a throw in to be taken.

PHEW. That was a near miss, FFS lol