Testimonials

20 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I've never agreed with testimonials and I've never been to one

Players are rewarded enough

I don't go for the 'it's a short career either'

A championship player having a 10 year career, will have earned 10 times the amount I earned working in the steel industry for 44 years

I used to go to them in the 60's and 70's, especially at Mansfield and Chesterfield, it was a chance to see some top players and there were usually some light hearted moments like keeprers playing on the wing etc. I wouldn't go to one now, even for lower league players, they still get paid well.

I've never accepted the "short career" thing either. I had jobs in my teens which were genuine "short careers", and had to start again several times. Why are footballers any different ? Cris O'Grady was supposed to be on £2000 a week at Chesterfeild !  Even scrapping round the lower leagues he probably got about £100,000 a year for 10-12 years, as you say, more than most earn in a lifetime .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Blatter said:

Testimonials date back to the era of the £20/week maximum wage where fans chipped in to help a loyal player into retirement.

Roles are more likely to be reversed in the current era,

Any player playing a full career in the top two leagues now should very easily be a millionaire, and might even give something back to a deserving loyal fan or two.

Who do I send my begging letter to? specific players or just they club in general? 

21 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

A championship player having a 10 year career, will have earned 10 times the amount I earned working in the steel industry for 44 years

Agree on the whole but I made one exception many years ago, or my Dad did but I agreed.

That was for Douglas McMillan a young Wednesday player just breaking into the first team.

Tragically lost a leg when the Team coach crashed on the A1 Boxing Day 1960.

Dunsby Owl posted a photo last year.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

22 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

The memory is fading but I once went to Millmoor for a testimonial, could have been for Trevor Womble or Rod Fern, couple of Wednesday players were there but the highlight was Bobby Charlton playing it out wide to Barry Chuckle who crossed the ball for Alex Ferguson to head in from the 6 yard box. I kid you not. Probably late 70's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

The memory is fading but I once went to Millmoor for a testimonial, could have been for Trevor Womble or Rod Fern, couple of Wednesday players were there but the highlight was Bobby Charlton playing it out wide to Barry Chuckle who crossed the ball for Alex Ferguson to head in from the 6 yard box. I kid you not. Probably late 70's.

Can you pass me your dealers number mate, i want some of that stuff please.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, RobbieOwler said:

As a cub we don't seem to put on many testimonials, probably because over the last 20 years we've not been secured enough to be blessed with loyalty or consistency but if you could pick 3 players from our current squad who deserve a testimonial for their service to the club who would you pick?

My choices:
Nuhiu
Palmer
Westwood

Would love to see Palmer retire here, who was the last player we had from the youth set up who spent their whole career (excluding loan spells) at the club?

Kevin Pressman deserved one.

• Like 1