Garry Monk

20 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

I was genuinely amazed that fans were turning up their noses when we appointed him.

He knows this league inside out, and has a decent record at this level.

We could of done far, far worse.

Onwards and upwards.

This. 

The reaction was absurd. Monk is very experienced at this level, performed superbly at Brum and is still a young manager. Will be the same fans who want bloody Megson back. 

The initial signs are good. There has been a significant improvement in defending although Mon himself today said there is lots of room for improvement. Iorfa looked better going forward at full back than defending and I had concerns about him at centre half. His displays at centre half in last few games have been very good and he has improved each game. Odubajo has also started to look more comfortable at full back and again displays improving week by week. We also appear to be more organised on pitch. If EFL do not interfere think we will  be in the mix at end of season and if we are not lucky enough to get promoted this season I am sure if Monk his at helm next season we be in excellent position to get out of league.

His messages have been filled with common sense and he looks comfortable in the role. 

Absolutely delighted with what I have seen to date.

• Like 1

He does tend to do well in this league, like Rowett seems to get his teams organised and playing to their strengths which gets that extra bit from them.

Been impressed with his interviews so far, seems to be a real thinker but must condense that down to basics for the team. I like how he looked at the stats for how playing it out from the back as a must generally loses possession and sacked it off. It’s what killed us last season.

32 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

I was genuinely amazed that fans were turning up their noses when we appointed him.

He knows this league inside out, and has a decent record at this level.

We could of done far, far worse.

Onwards and upwards.

Agreed. The insults such as 'spiv' and 'shyster' and the general air of negativity towards him from sections of the fanbase were bizarre.

I don't know what Monk had done to create such ill-feeling towards him, or whether it was the result of a bit of thoughtless bandwagon-jumping because everybody seemed to have convinced each other that Danny Cowley is destined to be the second coming of Ferguson, Paisley and Ramsey rolled into one.

Whatever the reason, let's hope he makes those kind of comments ring hollow during his time with Wednesday, as he's certainly got the potential to be the ideal replacement for Bruce: he's an experienced manager at this level and above; his teams tend to be more than the sum of their parts; he can play attractive attacking football, given the right tools; he may well feel he has something to prove after suffering at least one, if not two, harsh sackings in recent years; and at the age of 40, he's still got years of learning and developing ahead of him.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JOHNHARKES said:

Got a good feeling about him being very successful here. Great start 7 points from 3

games in charge. And 2 tough away games and a difficult home game sandwiched inbetween. Long season but sincerely hope it's a great one. Garry Monks Barmy Army.

Hi Gary...,welcome t’Owlstalk:tango:

The 3 games he’s been in charge we have just looked so much more organised

Today we played two big lads up top and played more direct but it worked. No more tippy tappy across the back four, we played on Boros final third and they couldn’t handle it

Couldnt care less if we play like Barcelona or Wimbledon just as long as we win

4 hours ago, JOHNHARKES said:

Got a good feeling about him being very successful here. Great start 7 points from 3

games in charge. And 2 tough away games and a difficult home game sandwiched inbetween. Long season but sincerely hope it's a great one. Garry Monks Barmy Army.

Agree.  Monk has the right initials and forename(ish). 

garymegson :monkgif1:

• Haha 1

Guest The Horse

Patience, patience, patience.

For me, the league is wide open for any team that can (cliche time) find consistency.

It would be amazing if we did it first time under Monk but he needs a good few transfer windows to get it where he wants it.

And until then we will probably blow hot and cold. Stick with him cos as others have said, he knows this league inside out, has drive and needs a club to give him a foundation.

But also,.. let's have it!!

Very early days...but I was quite shocked at the level of negativity (from a vocal minority) towards his appointment. 

Not the most glamorous of names, but has done a pretty decent job elsewhere and knows the division very well. 

He has a lot of confidence in himself and has a bit of an edge to him too. If that can translate to the players on a regular basis, then we might not be far off.