• Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Nuhiu
    • Harris
    • Luongo
    • Winnall
    • Fox

On 29/09/2019 at 01:11, FreshOwl said:

Any of Iorfa, Fletcher or Reach. Borner was also his usual solid self.

We went down a couple of gears second half. Britt Assombalonga missed 2 absolute howlers

Those misses by Assombalonga were something special. I think even I would have scored with them. Without wanting to turn this into an opportunity to bash someone (we won by a large margin, let's enjoy that), can some tactical genius enlighten me as to what the heck happened with those two Assombalonga chances? It was like the parting of the Red Sea where our defence just opened up and said "there you go matey". Anyone?

Edited by ljhowl
I didn't listen too well in bible class

All positives again for most of the team.

For MOTM though it was Reach again by a few points for me. 

8.5 Reach had a few shots, put some excellent balls in from both wings and down the middle, which a more prolific striker would have scored a hat-trick from, got back and hustled for the ball in midfield and on both wings, linked up play down the middle and from wing to wing, made an unmissable assist and scored an excellent goal after winning back the throw in he had just conceded, which was reminiscent of David Hirst's equaliser against the pigs at B'hole lane, yonks back now, in terms of lack of back swing and power achieved, pure top class from a player who is often happy to keep setting up moves or assists for others to score. I hope that this is a sign of things to come from him, because he lays on too many sitters that are missed by players who are on the pitch to put the ball in the net. Reach showed on Saturday that he can still do both, along with all his other duties.

8 I had Reach just in front of Adthe, purely because Reach's hard work earned him an assist and a goal, but Adthe's selfless hard work started moves all over the pitch and broke up, or slowed down those of the opposition, which gave everybody else aa easier job, getting back into position to defend or attack, depending which way we were going. I know from a couple of Boro' fans that Middlesborough hate to see Adthe's name on our teamsheet against them, because he has scored, or made a fair few goals against them and they have him down as "unplayable", because of the number of times he comes out of a crowd of their players with the ball still at his feet. Adthe won 13 of his aerial duels which does not sound that amazing, until you compare it with the whole of the Middlesborough team who only managed the same number between them, as did Iorfa and Borner, with Borner getting 7 to Iorfa's 6 (one of which was his goal).

7.5 I had Fletcher down next, alongside Bannan and Iorfa. Fletcher again for his hard work and goal, but I feel that his conversion ratio is poor when you look at the number and the quality of the balls that are put into him. Too often promising attacks broke down with Fletcher and funnily enough we were discussing his lack of heading ability when he scored a header from the absolute peach of a ball that Reach delivered for our 4th. If Fletch timed his runs a tiny bit better, when he attacks the balls coming in and around the 6 yard box, he could easily be on 20 goals this season. Having said that with 5 goals from 9 league games, he could well be on target for 20 plus already!

7.5 I had Bannan down in third place, alongside Fletch and Iorfa, because he did his main job so much better today, although he still has long way to go with his corners and free kicks. His first corner was an absolute beauty which was just asking to be headed home, although unluckily for Boro, it was their player that got the touch to it. Other than that, Bannan's other 5 corners and several free kicks were nothing much to write home about, although he made up for those by making pass after pass in open play, although a couple of those were a bit dodgy and one nearly played Boro in on goal, but two assists and a few good tackles too made this probably his best game so far and getting back towards his best.

7.5 Iorfa did better against Boro, but to be fair if Assombalongalongerlonger had scored the two that he should have scored, Iorfa's goal would have been more than made up for with the goals against. I am still wondering whether Iorfa will get a game as right full back when Tom Lees comes back, or even whether Palmer might go back there with Fox coming in as left back, but these things get glossed over a bit dont they when we score 4 at the other end. 

Harris and Palmer were above average 7 and I thought that Hutch, Odabjo and Westwood just scraped an average to good score of 6