Jump to content
Ozymandias Owl

What ever happened to Cup Fever?

Recommended Posts

Let's be honest the F A Cup final has always been over rated. Usually dour affairs high on hype and actually rubbish games. The appeal of the F A Cup has always been the little clubs desperate for cash surviving until the 3rd round hoping for a draw at one of the big  clubs grounds. The occasional victory of David over Goliath and the ensuing media frenzy. The finals are just a let down.

 

The league cup has largely been a second rate competition. For many years the fans weren't interested and neither were most fans. A few good years and now back to obscurity.

 

I hate the way football has gone but so much of life is like that now. Most things are commercialised and worse for it. It's just the way it is.

 

I suppose we all want things the way they were as we get older. It isn't going to happen so we just have to get on with it.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rogers said:

Cup fever died when the FA Cup final was not an all day affair on TV, 



Totally agree, family get togethers - we usually went to my Nans, chippy dinner then it was time for Des Lynam about 11.30/12pm. Helicopter in the air watching the crowds arriving at Wembley, watching the team coaches approach Wembley way. Watching the players in their dodgy suits walking on the pitch, interviews with current  players and players from the past. History of the clubs detailed. 
 

The whole build up was a full day of celebrating footballs end of season showdown.

 

Then the Premier league arrived along with Sky and football started its slow painful death and the cups became a hinderance. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do people on here keep blaming Sky for flooding the game with money?

Not Sky's fault that the FA created a Premier LGE and cornered nearly all the cash at the expense of the smaller clubs.  

Sky DO cover the smaller clubs. They had MK v Wimbledon on the other day.  But how many watch?  My mate laughs at me for watching matches like that on TV.  He's only interested in the top six. Not Sky's fault. They have to show the games the advertisers want.  

And why are folk moaning about the low attendance on Tuesday?

21,000 to watch a night game is excellent. The weather was awful.

I can remember us getting 20k cup crowds in the 60s when we had a good side.  And 12,000 against Villa and WHU around 1965.

Stop moaning.  Lots of things wrong with our club, but not the level of support.  

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Why do people on here keep blaming Sky for flooding the game with money?

Not Sky's fault that the FA created a Premier LGE and cornered nearly all the cash at the expense of the smaller clubs.  

Sky DO cover the smaller clubs. They had MK v Wimbledon on the other day.  But how many watch?  My mate laughs at me for watching matches like that on TV.  He's only interested in the top six. Not Sky's fault. They have to show the games the advertisers want.  

And why are folk moaning about the low attendance on Tuesday?

21,000 to watch a night game is excellent. The weather was awful.

I can remember us getting 20k cup crowds in the 60s when we had a good side.  And 12,000 against Villa and WHU around 1965.

Stop moaning.  Lots of things wrong with our club, but not the level of support.  

 

Football and cricket have been boosted by the money Sky has given.

 

Chairmen and the clubs themselves are at fault for the ills of the current game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny had this discussion at work this am. I left the game on Tuesday with no real feelings of disappointment. If this had been a league game would have been plssed off. 

Think all cup s have been devalued used to be a route to play in europe now with the pl not difficult to qualify.

Days gone by a cup run generated welcome cash but with tv money the fixture is just an inconvenience.

Shame though used to love the cups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Road Runner said:



Totally agree, family get togethers - we usually went to my Nans, chippy dinner then it was time for Des Lynam about 11.30/12pm. Helicopter in the air watching the crowds arriving at Wembley, watching the team coaches approach Wembley way. Watching the players in their dodgy suits walking on the pitch, interviews with current  players and players from the past. History of the clubs detailed. 
 

The whole build up was a full day of celebrating footballs end of season showdown.

 

Then the Premier league arrived along with Sky and football started its slow painful death and the cups became a hinderance. 

Exactly - the FA cup final kick off at 5:15 (or whatever) and no one cares. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very very unlikely that we'll win the cup and even if we do we'll still be stuck in the Championship. 

 

Much more likely we'll sustain injuries to key players along the way. 

 

Not saying I agree just giving the general consensus amongst fans 25 and below who have never seen any real success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Left back, powerful box to box midfielder and a couple of strikers with pace.  We might then have a shot at the playoffs.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

It depends what you want.

 

In a very obvious sense, English club football isn't broken. It's a massive global success. Based around a branded league and half a dozen globally barnded and recognised clubs.

 

There is collateral damage in this. The domestic cup competitions, whose value to clubs has dropped off the scale. And quite a few clubs who no longer have any prospects of competing at the top of the tree. 

 

If you like what's happened and you're a Wednesday fan, you're either a bit thick, or exceptionally altruistic on behalf of a class of rich people who don't really deserve your sympathy.

 

It is what it is. And Sheffield Wednesday starting Steven Fletcher up front against Everton is not going to alter the march of history.

 

 

 

 

I'm not going to say one particular player should have played. It was the number of changes made, which meant tactically it just looked like a practice game. That does not help any of the other players who came in. If your facing a team whose going to treat it in the same way, then it's a reasonable thing to do, but not when it was clear Everton were going to bring their big guns. 

 

When you have a home crowd you can't do what Monk did. I'm not even sure it's fair when its an away crowd. I was at Bolton away a couple of years ago and we got a much worse performance against a team we could have beaten.

 

People are committing their time and money to attending. The club, and players, should show the same commitment. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing devils advocate but had we not fielded such a strong first Xi for the zenith data cup games could we have picked up the extra point in the league to keep us up that season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember a few years ago when Manchester City won it for the first time in ages yet on the same day their bitter rivals clinched another League title. It won't ever have the same feel to it now as the Premier League is the be all and end all now it seems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£20 a pop to watch reserves, after £40 a throw for first team don't help.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Man United set the ball rolling as it were when they opted out of playing in the cup one season.  Then the FA started messing about with the format of the competition even to the point of playing the final at the most stupid of times to suit the god Sky.

 

Its been used and abused to the point it's hardly recognised. 

 

A great shame as I remember fans discussing what they  would rather win the League or the Cup.  That's a laughable concept now.

 

Greed.

 

It's become missable. I remember as a kid (mid 80's) from January being absolutely fixated with the FA Cup and on final day watching BBC1 or ITV from 9am. I've missed 5 finals at least in the last 15 years, not even realising it's cup final day.  

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

Much rather win a cup than get promotion.

 

Seen us do both and I know which one gave me one of the days of my life supporting swfc.

 

 

Me too

 

If someone offered me promotion or the FA cup this season, it’d be the FA cup every time 

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a shame. I think all of my favourite matches over the last 35 years have been cup matches. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Me too

 

If someone offered me promotion or the FA cup this season, it’d be the FA cup every time 

 

Fingers crossed no one asks you then 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VBQ24 said:

Very very unlikely that we'll win the cup and even if we do we'll still be stuck in the Championship. 

 

Much more likely we'll sustain injuries to key players along the way. 

 

Not saying I agree just giving the general consensus amongst fans 25 and below who have never seen any real success. 

Success breeds Success, I've seen it with my own eyes. An attitude of picking the battles we think we can win will get us nowhere. 

 

When we signed Sheridan and Palmer they weren't household names. They wanted to win every game, and so did the players who came in for them for that matter when they were injured or suspended. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Zenith Data Cup is up there along with the Anglo Italian Cup as far as nonentity competitions go...however Dem blades still celebrate the Anglo Italian as their great European success playing the elite of Europe  lol

Edited by daveyboy66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Man United set the ball rolling as it were when they opted out of playing in the cup one season.  Then the FA started messing about with the format of the competition even to the point of playing the final at the most stupid of times to suit the god Sky.

 

Its been used and abused to the point it's hardly recognised. 

 

A great shame as I remember fans discussing what they  would rather win the League or the Cup.  That's a laughable concept now.

 

Greed.

 

Am no Man Utd fan but this is a bit unfair on Ferguson and the club because at the time the FA were plotting a World Cup bid and England could not be seen to be disrespecting a FIFA competition for League Champions which took place in S America at the same time as the third round. I don’t deny that diminishing the oldest cup competition in the world in order to compete in summat that has never happened since was a consequence of what they did but it wasn’t their idea.... it was the Sweet FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

The Zenith Data Cup is up there along with the Anglo Italian Cup as far as nonentity competitions go...however Dem blades still celebrate the Anglo Italian as their great European success playing the elite of Europe  lol

 

Can we add the Watney Cup to that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...