What do we need ?

I think if we're honest we are a fair bit off being top two. Would any of our team really get into the top two teams? Westwood when he's on form? Harris maybe? 

We've got a good base of a team that's good for the Championship, not very high level though. 

If we want to seriously push on we need two new full backs, a CB and 2 new CMs at least for me at this moment. 

Can Odubajo step up and be the player he was at Hull? Can Iorfa carry on developing? Is Luongo capable of dominating a championship midfield? If so then that takes the burden off. 

Trying to look through it without the blue tinted specs. We have a fair few players who are good at this level - Lees, Forestieri, Palmer, Reach etc - who are capable on their day of being outstanding, but what got Norwich & dem shithouses up was consistency. You knew they would be playing 7 or 8/10 at least every week. We don't have that at the moment. 

Ederson

Van Dijk

Robertson

De Bruyne

Salah

Kane

I reckon if we added these we would have a shot at the playoffs. :Chansiri:

To be honest at this stage i agree with the post that just put 'Patience'. Will review again before Jan. I would like to see some more youngsters given a chance, I think Stobbs, Penney, Hunt might be able to add something if given a run. We are the worst at youth development period.

2 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Ederson

Van Dijk

Robertson

De Bruyne

Salah

Kane

I reckon if we added these we would have a shot at the playoffs. :Chansiri:

To be honest at this stage i agree with the post that just put 'Patience'. Will review again before Jan. I would like to see some more youngsters given a chance, I think Stobbs, Penney, Hunt might be able to add something if given a run. We are the worst at youth development period.

dont hold your breath on penney

I am 100% confident we have a squad capable of playoffs if we can keep them fit. Harris is fantastic should he keep this up but no doubt will get injured at some point like everyone else. 

I actually think we give the 'better' sides in this league too much respect and its a mindset change for fans and our squad that we need. Why would we be scared of Fulham? I don't think their miles better than us as some would make out. We have a great core of players that should be able to match any team in the league or at least be in the mix of the best 6 teams. 

Home atmosphere on the whole is negative and whilst its up to the players to get the fans off of the seats it is also the job for fans to support rather groan all the time. I  moan myself so am guilty of it and its probably a product of, in the whole, terrible football for 20 years. Maybe this is the same at every club but when we look at pigs or l**ds the atmosphere for their team seems to be more positive which is irritating. Away we are fantastic and probably the best fans in the league. 

The next David Hirst Roland Nilsson and Nigel  worthington, who if memory serves me well cost a combined fee of under a million pounds.  Oh yes and the next big Ron. A manager who could spot a player and turn them into world class. 

We need to go for a different formation.

Play a 3-5-2 which will give us more presence in attacking situations and at the same time makes it harder for the opposition to walk through us in midfield.

Westwood

Iorfa - Lees - Borner

Hutch

Reach - Bannan - Lee - Harris

Fletcher - Winnall

Swap Odabajo/Murphy for reach if you like, with maybe Luongo swapped in for Lee. Either way though, we would actually have presence in midfield to get the ball forward and enough there to defend and stop teams walking right through us if needed. Hutch never moves off the CBs toes anyway and this would leave Bannan able to float about in the middle while Lee can push up and help support the front 2. We would still have a presence out wide too with the wingers also able to offer offering us some protection if required to track back.  One up top isn't working and neither is a CM pairing of an always too deep Hutch and a usually deep Bannan. with these two alone in the middle, teams are into our defensive 3rd before we have met them to try and win the ball back.

After watching last few games it has crossed my mind that the core of players from the last 4-5 years (Hutchinson, Lee, Bannan, Westwood etc) have gone a bit stale.
Don't seem to have that spark they once did. Might just be a form thing I guess but if any of these are out of contact at end of season think it's time to say goodbye.

• Like 1

I read somewhere online from a statto that 8 of the last 10 goals conceded have come down from the right back position. 

whether the is solely down to the RB not sure or the support in front of them. 

But on the left with Harris there does seem to be stability in front of the LB, on the right we have tried Murphy, Reach.

The weak link certainly does seem to be the right side. 

I think we need two full backs who can deliver quality crosses

If Iorfa is moved to full back then we will need just the one

Palmer has improved the defensive part of his game quite a lot, and he's some athlete, but he can't cross a ball

Fox is a good defender, he has a decent cross, but he doesn't have the athleticism

If I see much more of Odubajo, I think I'll be having my third heart attack

I think we need a midfield beast

And I think we also need a forward with pace and power, someone who bullies defenders

So for me that's 3 maybe 4, depending on where Iorfa plays

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

6 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

So despite the upheaval were now 8 games in and with no league cup distraction. Yes Monk has only been here two mins and is still assessing the squad and how were going to play.

However, what are most fans thoughts on what we are lacking to take this club forward and have a proper go at promotion ??

Ill have my 2 cents first, whilst I think Odubajo will be ok when he settles down and Palmer is playing well at left back I think we are weak at full back, and would like to strengthen there. Were a winger short and as daft as it sounds as we have so bloody many we could do with a striker. Joao as frustrating as he was is being missed.

Harris and Borner have really added to the squad there are a massive improvement. Luongo looks good to me, Lee is coming back to fitness. Murphy may be ok going forward but had been poor so far.

A central striker with pace and the sense to stay on the last defender.

A dominating midfielder.

Westwood is quality when he's on form but he's a bit hit and miss at present.

We need 2 attacking full backs who can overlap and put good crosses in. Hutch and Bannan sit deep so we need attacking full backs to compensate. Palmer isn't good enough going forward despite being a good defender theses days. Odubajo might prove ok as one of them when he settles in.

I'd love a Carlton Palmer style box to box midfielder. Bannan needs to play further upfield or we need an attacking mid who can create chances.

A fast clever goal scorer or just a clever forward to play off Fletcher, a Hooper style player without the injury problems.

We could also do with a few back up players of quality for when we get a few injuries, the quality drops quickly when a couple of the starters are out.

No chance of getting that many players so we will need to make do mainly with what we have and hope for a lot of luck.

we need to try 442 with Fletch and JR imo, I really really believe if JR had a run of 5 or so games he will start to be the clinical striker we need, I know away from home Monk will want to go 433/451 to keep the midfield nice and compact and sit till we can break, but at home we need to start loading the box, has JR started more than 5 games in a row since he joined us? We need to take a chance with him

Edited by keepitsteel89
  • Like 1