Luongo

Quite easy to tell them apart, Luongo looked to pass the ball forward were as Joey likes a back pass.

Had to laugh when Joey threw a right strop when his cross field ball ended up 20 yards behind the player. Not sure if he was annoyed with himself or if the player out on the right ( can't remember who it was) should have been running backwards.

Having said that thought it was one of Joeys better games last night.

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He was ok. 

I'd like to see him tried in the league before too long. 

Just think we need someone who can get around the pitch a bit more. 

Agree, we need more energy in the midfield and Luongo is our best asset in that regard. 

Its difficult to play well when we don't have the ball, against better opposition,  especially when he's not started for a while. 

Weve seen Hutchinson and bannan centrally in a 442, balanced in principle, but often ineffective. I'd like to see a Luongo Bannan partnership with a little more energy, movement and forward thinking attitude get a run of games. 

The dilemma is do we want Hutchinson's aggression or Luongo's energy?....or both if we can nail down an effective 433 formation. 

53 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He was ok. 

I'd like to see him tried in the league before too long. 

Just think we need someone who can get around the pitch a bit more

42 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree, we need more energy in the midfield and Luongo is our best asset in that regard. 

Its difficult to play well when we don't have the ball, against better opposition,  especially when he's not started for a while. 

Weve seen Hutchinson and bannan centrally in a 442, balanced in principle, but often ineffective. I'd like to see a Luongo Bannan partnership with a little more energy, movement and forward thinking attitude get a run of games. 

The dilemma is do we want Hutchinson's aggression or Luongo's energy?....or both if we can nail down an effective 433 formation

This is what I was hoping to see,

either,or, a replacement for Lee or Hutch, 

also to give us more balance and to change for a 3 in midfield.

Hope Monk see's something, and can start to change things when it's not working.

Potentially going to be another of those signings who doesn’t get proper game time and because of this he’s not match sharp when he is called upon with some expecting too much. Could be gone in the summer at this rate if he wants to remain first choice for Australia.

Edited by GMOwl72

4 hours ago, Sham67 said:

You watched a different game to me.  He was totally anonymous for 80 minutes.  I was sat thinking I can see why he's not been picked.

He wasn't at all...he read the game brilliantly and filled the gaps they wanted to play in. He caused Everton to change their style of play. He got the ball and used it progressively (Hutch is negative). He made the vast majority of his passes and all his tackles. He got forward in support and tackled back at key moments. Top performance and my MOM too...its not about the headless bluster that you get from some players.

1 hour ago, striker said:

The dilemma is do we want Hutchinson's aggression or Luongo's energy?....or both if we can nail down an effective 433 formation. 

Id go with Luongo's energy to be honest. 

It looks me like he can do a bit of everything, which in my opinion is what we have needed in CM. He will get forward and make himself available but also doesn't shirk the defensive side of the game. 

Last night he was OK, showed some positive signs but it's hard to give a full judgement when he's up against players of a much higher standard. He definitely didn't look out of place. 

5 hours ago, debram said:

Average same as the rest, difficult game to be assessed on, not complimented by being alongside Pelupussy, reach and Murphy, the likes of Gerrard would have struggled in that line up. 

The midfield was totally inadequate throughout the game, yet Pelupessey thought it was OK.

I thought he was OK, joey wasn't too bad but Reach and murray were dire and didn't help the other 2 one bit. I don't think any of our superstar midfielders would have had a great game in there with all things considered.

Definitely needs a start with better players around him, if only to see if he has what we need.

5 hours ago, daleblue said:

Couldn't make last night,  and was hoping to read about this lads performance,  seen a couple of things saying he was ok, but no dedicated fred, so could anyone who went last night give an appraisal, thanks.

Man of the match for me

A proper midfield performance, pace, energy, prepared to support, kept getting his foot in, didn't sit like we are used to, always on the move, always busy

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

5 hours ago, Doctor Duran said:

Both got better in the second,  but looking at this neither Sam or Barry need to worry too much.  Not writing him off, Luongo looks the more technical player

and will come good,  maybe start him instead of Kieran with Sam and Barry at the Boro game Saturday.

If Sam and Barry get booked on Saturday they miss the next game, so Luongo will be a contender against 'ull on Tuesday.

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Man of the match for me

A proper midfield performance, pace, energy, prepared to support, kept getting his foot in, didn't sit like we are used to, always on the move, always busy

you an estate agent ?

22 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Man of the match for me

mmmm nah........nah..... definitely nah 

I'd hoped he would be, was expecting he might be 

And I really hope he actually was and I'm wrong 

but I was there and.....nah 

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 11:20, striker said:

Its not a dilemma really if were playing 442 play them as a pair. Would be a solid Midfield 2. Bannan can then go back on the wing where he is better with Harris on the other.

Lets be right about it, we have had the same midfield 3 of Bannan, Hutchinson and Lee for the last 3/4 seasons and (while we may have got close a couple of seasons) it hanst actually brought any success.

For the games while Bullen was in charge, I thought we slowly reverted to type by going back to the same midfield, the same style of play.... and quite frankly Im getting a bit bored of it.

Bannan is great when he is on form but Ive said it before.... stop Bannan and you stop Wednesday. Fulham did this the other day and Bannan was pretty uneffective both attacking and defensively. How often does Bannan slow the play down? Monk has also told Bannan that he needs to work more on his defensive game so clearly Monk wants him to be a more all round player.

It's not just about BB, its the fact that we need to change from a system and a style that has failed us for so long and bring something new to our game.

I thought that Massimo had a similar game to the one against Rotherham to be fair, so he was one of our four better players in my opinion, just behind Reach with Pessy and Fox having similar quality games and Nuhiu on a par but more through effort than actual achievements. I checked the other morning with whoscored.com for the stats, because the MOTM voting on here seemed way off the mark compared with what I saw players doing and not doing. Statistically Massimo was 9% behind Reach, 1% in front of Pelupessy and 2% in front of Fox who statistically did the best out of all our players when looking at achievements in the match against mistakes made. 

Luongo does not catch the eye too often doing showy tricks, or having to charge about making up for his own mistakes or bad positioning. He seems to read the game very well, get into the right areas to break up play and then link up play by passing the ball around the pitch, coming 5th accuracy wise with his passing, behind Thorniley 86%, Reach 85%, Pelupessy 83% and Iorfa 80%, with all these players making between 15 and 19 passes. OK passing wise, the defenders made a lot of shorter passes as did Pelupessy, but Luongo's long passes did let him down and reduced his accuracy percentage by being astray with 4 out of 4 long passes. I thought that his main strength was his reading of the game and being able to step in and take the ball forward to create good counter attacks. It might be worthwhile seeing him play just behind Rhodes for a number of games, to see how that might develop because both players read the game well. Luongo made most tackles with 7, Reach coming second with 3 won and noticeably, to me anyway, Iorfa and Odubajo with 0 along with Murphy and Winnall. 

Overall he had a good performance, but tough to judge again because of the opposition and because it was hard to believe that we had sent the team out in a serious effort to beat Everton. I cannot remember Monk spending much time stood up or shouting instructions, so the apathy was there from the top down, giving the game more of a pre-season friendly feel to it than a cup game. 

Edited by Ante's Bubbly